Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP buying and delivery experience.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would share our story for any newbie buyers out there. Usually all you hear on forums and FB are all the negative stories so I thought I would share our completely awesome story.

We are first time Tesla buyers and first time EV buyers. I won’t consider our short ownership of a Prius an EV experience. We are also not first time new car buyers. We have bought probably 15 new cars or so in our lifetime all different makes and models.

Buying the car. We were bored on 11/24 of last year and while visiting the in laws needed a break so we went to the mall. Killing time we stepped into the Tesla store and looked at the MY. After asking a bunch of questions, sitting, touching and playing with the car we left after ordering one in about five minutes. EDD when we ordered was the month of February. No problem as we had to sell the wife’s car anyway.

Come around mid December used car prices were going bonkers so we sold the wife’s Jeep GC to Carvana. Another amazingly great experience. During this time we also drove up to our would be delivery center to actually test drive the MYP that we had ordered. Dealing with the dealer was nothing but awesome. The guy gave us a few pointers, showed us actually how to drive one and loaded there ”test drive route” in to the Nav and said bye have fun. We were sold that we made a great decision.

Now during January, watching the Tesla app about 15 times a day our EDD bounced around quite a bit. At the end of the day on 2/8 we got our VIN and 2/14 we took delivery. Right when Tesla originally quoted us.

All the paperwork was done right on the app. Loaded our insurance etc no problem. Got our cashiers check and headed to delivery. Arrived a little early because of all the horror stories. Had our 3 page checklist in hand to check everything on the car. All things we learned from the forums. Heck we were even mentally prepared to reject the car. SA came out to meet us. Said take your time and we looked over the car. After 30 minutes of finding only a small bit of glue on the window trim, licking my finger and wiping it off we walked into the showroom. Took about 5 minutes to sign two forms and we were on our way. No issues at all.

Alll in all it was the best experience EVER buying a new car. I do not know how the traditional dealership world could ever compare and compete as they are dinosaurs with their four part form, let me get the sales manager, back and forth negotiating, feeling like you got a good/bad deal and then dealing with a finance guy, after waiting another hour because he is the only one, trying to sell you in addition a bunch of snake oil and sign 10 forms in 15 different places. Traditional dealers need to go bye bye. Tesla has broken new ground with the buying experience. No BS, no ADMs, no having to be a “VIP” to get the car you want etc etc.

Anyway wanted to share an exceptional story since most only share all the issues and gripes. Now onto all the mods.

095128EA-5D71-4D23-9340-D1DBF53AF6FA.jpeg

Congrats on the car and I'm glad you had a great experience. I think the negative stories have a lot to do with their personalities. My oldest son for example finds something negative in everything we do. My youngest son, wife and I are dumbfounded afterwards because we all thought it was a great experience.

Reactions: goin2drt
Congrats on your perfect experience!

That is what Tesla tries to accomplish (but doesn't always succeed). I'm am wondering if they will get better or worse if the sales (now 1M cars a year) keeps increasing. Will they hire enough staff to keep up? Will they build enough replacement parts? Will they create enough service centers and certify enough body shops?

I am hopeful they increase the infrastructure and support at the same pace they are pushing out cars.

Reactions: ALSET1680
Congrats on your perfect experience!

That is what Tesla tries to accomplish (but doesn't always succeed). I'm am wondering if they will get better or worse if the sales (now 1M cars a year) keeps increasing. Will they hire enough staff to keep up? Will they build enough replacement parts? Will they create enough service centers and certify enough body shops?

I am hopeful they increase the infrastructure and support at the same pace they are pushing out cars.
This is the million dollar question. As more and more competition comes to market they will need to stay ahead. I haven't used service yet but also only hear horror stories about that. I do know the buying and delivery experience was great. There too I hope they keep the personal touch. I saw a YT video of someone getting their car in a parking garage all by the app with ZERO customer support. That would have been horrible to me and left a very sour taste. Fine if you have already owned a Tesla and know everything but being a new owner I really enjoyed the ability to ask a SA a few questions before jumping in and driving.

Reactions: advocate8
This is the million dollar question. As more and more competition comes to market they will need to stay ahead. I haven't used service yet but also only hear horror stories about that. I do know the buying and delivery experience was great. There too I hope they keep the personal touch. I saw a YT video of someone getting their car in a parking garage all by the app with ZERO customer support. That would have been horrible to me and left a very sour taste. Fine if you have already owned a Tesla and know everything but being a new owner I really enjoyed the ability to ask a SA a few questions before jumping in and driving.

I think the home delivery might be even worse than 'contactless'. The drivers won't allow interior inspections and want to Uber it back to base in a hurry.
You never mentioned panel gaps or other issues so I assume you are good on that front? I think Fremont got their act together just as GigaTx comes online.

I think the home delivery might be even worse than 'contactless'. The drivers won't allow interior inspections and want to Uber it back to base in a hurry.
You never mentioned panel gaps or other issues so I assume you are good on that front? I think Fremont got their act together just as GigaTx comes online.
Yes correct. Literally the only issue was that glue that came right off. I am super anal and a self proclaimed car detailing freak. My wife has an amazing eye for paint defects as well. The car was perfect. My expectations were low based on all that we read and heard.

Our SA opened the car from his phone so we could inspect the entire car before we even had to "accept delivery".

I’ll say that my home delivery was not like this. The driver had no problem with me looking the car over for several minutes and made sure to answer any questions I had before taking off. Of course maybe this had to do with me paying via a cashier’s check, so he couldn’t leave without that in hand.

I think people are more motivated to share their negative experiences online to warn others and just to vent. On the flip side, most people that have positive experiences don't tend to share those at the same rate as the negative ones. I know that I am guilty of it.

I think people are more motivated to share their negative experiences online to warn others and just to vent. On the flip side, most people that have positive experiences don't tend to share those at the same rate as the negative ones. I know that I am guilty of it.
Yes, this is how forums work. The people on them are more intensely involved with car. Therefore they are overly critical (and also overly enthusiastic) about events and news. Then again, those on here a while will be expecting all the bad stuff, so are less surprised at the bad stuff (panel gaps, yucky servcie, etc).

Reactions: advocate8
We had the same good experience with Tesla delivery (specially after reading all the negatives on the forum). SA spent time explaining and clean off some glues left on the paint and minor gap, but no issue. The car was delivered in perfect condition. I think people are more critical with Tesla delivery than traditional dealership because they think they can always go back to service and complaint. I think I like the car buying experience from Tesla more than traditional dealership.

Thought I would share our story for any newbie buyers out there. Usually all you hear on forums and FB are all the negative stories so I thought I would share our completely awesome story.

We are first time Tesla buyers and first time EV buyers. I won’t consider our short ownership of a Prius an EV experience. We are also not first time new car buyers. We have bought probably 15 new cars or so in our lifetime all different makes and models.

Buying the car. We were bored on 11/24 of last year and while visiting the in laws needed a break so we went to the mall. Killing time we stepped into the Tesla store and looked at the MY. After asking a bunch of questions, sitting, touching and playing with the car we left after ordering one in about five minutes. EDD when we ordered was the month of February. No problem as we had to sell the wife’s car anyway.

Come around mid December used car prices were going bonkers so we sold the wife’s Jeep GC to Carvana. Another amazingly great experience. During this time we also drove up to our would be delivery center to actually test drive the MYP that we had ordered. Dealing with the dealer was nothing but awesome. The guy gave us a few pointers, showed us actually how to drive one and loaded there ”test drive route” in to the Nav and said bye have fun. We were sold that we made a great decision.

Now during January, watching the Tesla app about 15 times a day our EDD bounced around quite a bit. At the end of the day on 2/8 we got our VIN and 2/14 we took delivery. Right when Tesla originally quoted us.

All the paperwork was done right on the app. Loaded our insurance etc no problem. Got our cashiers check and headed to delivery. Arrived a little early because of all the horror stories. Had our 3 page checklist in hand to check everything on the car. All things we learned from the forums. Heck we were even mentally prepared to reject the car. SA came out to meet us. Said take your time and we looked over the car. After 30 minutes of finding only a small bit of glue on the window trim, licking my finger and wiping it off we walked into the showroom. Took about 5 minutes to sign two forms and we were on our way. No issues at all.

Alll in all it was the best experience EVER buying a new car. I do not know how the traditional dealership world could ever compare and compete as they are dinosaurs with their four part form, let me get the sales manager, back and forth negotiating, feeling like you got a good/bad deal and then dealing with a finance guy, after waiting another hour because he is the only one, trying to sell you in addition a bunch of snake oil and sign 10 forms in 15 different places. Traditional dealers need to go bye bye. Tesla has broken new ground with the buying experience. No BS, no ADMs, no having to be a “VIP” to get the car you want etc etc.

Anyway wanted to share an exceptional story since most only share all the issues and gripes. Now onto all the mods.

View attachment 769698
Congratulations on your new car! Still waiting on our model YP but should be soon.

Picked up my MY last month in Burbank, CA - the delivery process was so quick and easy. If you're looking for roll out the red carpet, VIP experience, I definitely did not get that. What I got was what I preferred - there's my car, I can take all the time I want with it, leave when I want, and lots of people are there to help/answer questions if I have any, but otherwise we were left alone to do what we wanted. Wife and kid were able to just sit in the waiting area and eat. The worst part of delivery was easily the wait for it, with EDDs bouncing all over the place before a VIN is unexpectedly assigned.

I had build quality issues - paint chips (which they actually let me know of over the phone prior to delivery) and rear panel gap issues. Just dropped the car off for service a couple of days ago (Had to wait a few weeks after delivery for my service appointment). They were very friendly at the service center, gave me a 2019 M3 Performance as a loaner (which FLIES off the line) for the 1-2 week estimated repair time (FYI, new Ryzen chip definitely makes a subtle difference from the old Intel Atom). So far so good, but we'll see the quality of the fixes when I get it back.

Otherwise, wife and I have loved the car for the last few weeks. Love how it drives, how open and streamlined it feels inside, and how effortless it is to use (from saving profile settings, to how the phone interacts with the key, to the seat comfort, to little things like dog mode, and to how nice the infotainment interface is for car settings - i know people don't like v11 but I have no experience with anything before it). And, between free charging at my office and the price of gas the last month in LA, I've already saved literally hundreds of dollars on gas.