Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP GPS stuck, no cameras, cannot sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only found threads for the Model 3 on this issue so I created a thread specifically for the MY. Two days ago my MYP's autopilot, GPS, cameras, auto headlights just went AWOL on me. I tried every possible hard and soft reset procedures and nothing worked unfortunately. I even tried factory reset and now my GPS is stuck is California (car is in Nevada). I tried to fiddle with Service Mode and found that the Autopilot ECU is on "fallback", whatever that means. Timing is worse as i'm have a week-long trip and I hate to leave my Tesla on 24/7 for a week! It just would not sleep! Anybody else have similar experience with their Tesla?

Mobile service is scheduled next week. I was wondering if it's ok to disconnect with HV and LV batteries for week without adverse effects. Any advice is appreciated!

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Reactions: PatrickTM
My Model Y had the exact same thing happen. First it was completely unresponsive to both the app and my key card. No idea why but eventually it responded but when I drove it, the cameras, gps, auto screen dim, autopilot were not working,. I've tried soft reset and hard reset (the one with the battery isolation) to no avail. I have service planned for this Saturday. Tomorrow I plan on trying turning off autopilot and turning it back on again

Have you guys any updates? I have the same issues with no cameras / autopilot features and no gps. Tesla service center wants to replace computer.
Charging over $2k. Kind of annoying as it happened after an update that took over an hour to finish installing.

Attached is my invoice from Tesla. Fortunately my car is still under warranty.

Screenshot_20230617_150712_Foxit PDF Editor.jpg

A 12V reset would normally fix the issue. But im my case, they had to replace the autopilot computer, which controls the cameras, GPS, maps, auto headlights and auto wipers.

P.S. contrary to some hard reset videos, per my local Tesla service center, the correct procedure for a hard reset is to disconect the LV battery FIRST, then the HV battery. To reconnect, do it in reverse. Disconnecting the HV battery first will do a "destructive" reset per Tesla, whatever that means.

Also I didn't bother to remove my aftermarket power frunk and Tesla did not make mention of it. I'm sure they saw it when they opened the frunk, for those worrying about voiding the warranty.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Attached is my invoice from Tesla. Fortunately my car is still under warranty.

View attachment 948004

A 12V reset would normally fix the issue. But im my case, they had to replace the autopilot computer, which controls the cameras, GPS, maps, auto headlights and auto wipers.

P.S. contrary to some hard reset videos, per my local Tesla service center, the correct procedure for a hard reset is to disconect the LV battery FIRST, then the HV battery. To reconnect, do it in reverse. Disconnecting the HV battery first will do a "destructive" reset per Tesla, whatever that means.

Also I didn't bother to remove my aftermarket power frunk and Tesla did not make mention of it. I'm sure they saw it when they opened the frunk, for those worrying about voiding the warranty.
You got fortunate, but I will suggest take off all the aftermarket part since my experience with tesla is they even blame an aftermarket dashcam baTTERY charging is the issue of my no-sleep model y.

Also I believe I have the same issue with you, about 3 weeks ago after a supercharger, AP disabled, no sleep. I can see in service mode the AP computer is 'shutdown' there were varies of alert, sometimes called 'ECU fallback' the only different is I know I can reboot the AP computer by factory reset, and it will work after calibration. but once I put it idle for 10 hours more, AP computer shuts down again. still no sleep.
and this AP problem was actually solved by a remote service guy who rebooted my AP computer and pushed an OTA to me.
But still the car is not going to sleep. Right now they blame an usb dashcam.

Last edited:
I have a 2022 Model Y LR, and this just happened to me yesterday. Thursday night (17 Aug 2023) the vehicle received SW update 2023.26.8, Friday morning (18 Aug 2023) at some point during the morning drive GPS stopped working, all cameras stopped working, auto headlights stopped working, etc. so this is pretty frustrating. Not sure if it’s related to the sw update or if that’s purely coincidental. If it is related to the sw update, then that’s pretty scary that Tesla did not seem to properly test the sw prior to release, and allowed bad sw to brick my DAS computer.

Diving into service mode, it shows the same thing as OP’s original post. ECU fallback (red), AP features unavailable (red), and no GPS (yellow). I have a service appt scheduled for Tuesday but I will drive by the service center today and ask if they can take a look earlier than scheduled, since driving experience is severely degraded without cameras and GPS.

i have a 23 mylr and exact same thing happened with no cameras, gps, ap, ecu fallback, etc... hard reset by disconnecting the 12v in the frunk then high voltage connector under the rear pass seat and everything is back. before this, tried multiple two button reboots, while holding brakes, holding down the buttons until tesla logo, with usb drive out, etc...etc but nothing worked.

i should also mention that cameras went out a couple times prior but came back after putting into drive then back into reverse. didn't think much of it at the time thinking its just a glitch. hopefully it will stay stable. sc appt is 2 weeks out but will keep it in case it comes back.

Reactions: PatrickTM
i have a 23 mylr and exact same thing happened with no cameras, gps, ap, ecu fallback, etc... hard reset by disconnecting the 12v in the frunk then high voltage connector under the rear pass seat and everything is back. before this, tried multiple two button reboots, while holding brakes, holding down the buttons until tesla logo, with usb drive out, etc...etc but nothing worked.

i should also mention that cameras went out a couple times prior but came back after putting into drive then back into reverse. didn't think much of it at the time thinking its just a glitch. hopefully it will stay stable. sc appt is 2 weeks out but will keep it in case it comes back.
I have an appointment scheduled for Tuesday, but I went in person to talk to the Service Center on Saturday to see if they can take me in early. They said come first thing Monday and they’ll fit me in. Last night (Sunday) I wanted to see if maybe a 12v reset and a HV reset might do the trick, that way I avoid the service visit. I completed a full 12v (technically 16v for me, since I have a lithium 16v battery) reset and HV reset, the problem still persists.

Dropped off the car and keycard this morning 15 minutes after opening, they estimate Thursday completion. I told the service advisor that I’ve done the scroll wheel reboot, the power off reboot via settings screen, 12v/16v reset, and HV reset. He put the info in the work order but said the techs have already ran remote diagnostics and have a work plan set up, and they probably will do all the resets again anyway.

One other thing I found interesting is that the service advisor owns a Tesla as his personal vehicle, and he had also needed a replacement MCU.

I had these same symptoms after using Car Wash Mode. Changing wheel size in settings, then returning it to the correct wheel size brought back GPS and camera capability (while steering wheel reset did nothing). Have gone through car wash without Car Wash Mode, manually putting car in neutral, and did not have the issues return.

Car Wash Mode may have just been a coincidence. Issues returned, and MYP would not install latest update after several attempts, resets, etc. Tesla is replacing the computer.
I will be interested to hear if this fixes your issue. I just had my computer replaced last week and 4 days later the issue came back, I can fix it every time by "Resetting DAS" in the service mode but it has gotten old having to do that every 4 days. I have booked another appointment to see what they say but I have been having this issue since July.

I will be interested to hear if this fixes your issue. I just had my computer replaced last week and 4 days later the issue came back, I can fix it every time by "Resetting DAS" in the service mode but it has gotten old having to do that every 4 days. I have booked another appointment to see what they say but I have been having this issue since July.
Ugh. Not very confidence inspiring. Just picked mine up. Is there anything that seems to trigger the issue? Are you on software version 2023.32.9?

Hello, just same problem in our 2021 Model Y. No cameras, no GSP, ECU was in shutdown and now in Fallback. First time happened a week or two ago, was fixed by remotely reset, they push software update to 2023.32.9 and yesterday same problem again. Tried all kind of reset and no luck. Scheduled mobile service for Monday. Out of warranty (61k miles).

Ugh. Not very confidence inspiring. Just picked mine up. Is there anything that seems to trigger the issue? Are you on software version 2023.32.9?
I am on 2023.32.9. If it gives you any hope it sounds like my issue is a little different. GPS works fine and the ECU is in shutdown and not fallback. My cameras actually are showing video, but the computers are not processing it. No cars on the left side of the screen, auto lights are always on, no autopilot, and no safety features (collision avoidance, lane departure warning....).

Reactions: ultramyp
Same thing happened to me on 23 MYP -car wash mode, few hours later all cameras show black screen, auto pilot not working etc etc
Happened after installing 2023.38.4 earlier in day.
Did reboots - Service called and did a push reset as well, suggesting to reinstall the same update again.
Now it’s sitting at 100% downloaded and draining battery.
They don’t believe mobile service will be able to handle so have to drop off this week.
Hot.

Everything started working yesterday. Still on 2023.32.9. They did remote reset? Service scheduled for Friday, computer replacement $2370. First was mobile but two days before it they said mobile will not be able to fix it and rescheduled week later for SC. To many cases recently with same problems. I blame software bugs.

Same thing happened to me on 23 MYP -car wash mode, few hours later all cameras show black screen, auto pilot not working etc etc
Happened after installing 2023.38.4 earlier in day.
Did reboots - Service called and did a push reset as well, suggesting to reinstall the same update again.
Now it’s sitting at 100% downloaded and draining battery.
They don’t believe mobile service will be able to handle so have to drop off this week.
Hot.
Fun. And...my issues are back after replacing computer a few days ago. Went out to MYP this morning to a notification asking me to connect to wifi (which was already set up) and a message saying a tire was flat and to pull over safely (all tires are fine). Cameras and nav inoperable again.

Fun. And...my issues are back after replacing computer a few days ago. Went out to MYP this morning to a notification asking me to connect to wifi (which was already set up) and a message saying a tire was flat and to pull over safely (all tires are fine). Cameras and nav inoperable again.
wow, so replacing the computer is not the solution! Was on chat with Tesla service, they insisted that in my case is the hardware problem. But after your post decided to reschedule appointment. Today I also read about same issues in new Model S after software update. Looks like there is a bug.