Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP High Pitched Noise (40+ mph)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 MYP (7000 miles) recently started having a high pitched drilling noise that sounds during coasting and changes pitch during regen. There are also times that the sound sputters. The noise appears to come from the front left of the car, maybe the motor? Any idea what is causing this noise? (See linked clips below)

I took my car in for service, but was told that they found no unique sounds. This makes no sense, considering my previous M3SR+ didn’t have this issue, and my current model Y did not start out with this noise.

Road trips are unbearable and music won’t even drown out the sound. Please help!

I have the same thing with my 2023 Model Y, only a few hundred miles on it. Here's another thread with the same sound:

maybe your hearing is super sensitive, but it sounds perfectly normal.
If you keep focusing on the "noise", that noise will be the only thing you will hear.
Just play some music, talk to other passengers (if any), and enjoy driving.

It's not normal. It's a bad bearing in the front motor assembly, at least according to Tesla. There have been at least 3 people who have had there entire front drive unit replaced due to this (including myself). My guess is there will be many more in the future. By my count, there are 28 people in the thread below that report the issue and it only effects new cars built from late 2021 on (M3/MY). My guess is a bad bearing supplier or something changed in the manufacturing process, but who knows.

For those of you that can't hear it, it's very high pitch, you might need to turn your sound way up. Here's Gogogadgetone's recording with the high frequency's boosted:
Also the sound seems to only present when the car is cold.

But yeah the other thread has a lot more info: What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

Dear god, I have this EXACT same sound on my 22 M3 and it's been driving me mad!!! Tesla SC failed to figure out what was wrong and they couldn't reliabily reproduce it, I think largely because they are on a noisey slow road that masks it. Has it been confirmed this is due to bad front motor bearing? Tips on convincing Tesla?

I had this exact issue where there was a high pitched whining sound around 40-50mph just enough to where it sounded like I had tinnitus. Absolutely drove me nuts. A tech went on a ride along with me and immediately knew what the sound was. We pulled over and he lifted up the rear seat cushion and you could see at the back of the pent house a blue foam seal that was visible and wasn't tucked into the body. The battery penthouse seal not being installed correctly allowed the rear motor whine to seep through into the cabin. They resealed it and the sound is completely gone. So an easy way to check is just pull off the bottom rear seat (just pops off) and see if you can see a blue foam seal at the back. If so thats your issue and tell them to reseal it.

Here's a picture of what it looked like in mine

It's not normal. It's a bad bearing in the front motor assembly, at least according to Tesla. There have been at least 3 people who have had there entire front drive unit replaced due to this (including myself). My guess is there will be many more in the future. By my count, there are 28 people in the thread below that report the issue and it only effects new cars built from late 2021 on (M3/MY). My guess is a bad bearing supplier or something changed in the manufacturing process, but who knows.

For those of you that can't hear it, it's very high pitch, you might need to turn your sound way up. Here's Gogogadgetone's recording with the high frequency's boosted:

But yeah the other thread has a lot more info: What is this high pitched cricket like noise?
same exact noise with my 2022 june delivery MYP sadly its normal and i can hear it as well but my wife cant, drives the crap out of me and she thinks im crazy

I had this exact issue where there was a high pitched whining sound around 40-50mph just enough to where it sounded like I had tinnitus. Absolutely drove me nuts. A tech went on a ride along with me and immediately knew what the sound was. We pulled over and he lifted up the rear seat cushion and you could see at the back of the pent house a blue foam seal that was visible and wasn't tucked into the body. The battery penthouse seal not being installed correctly allowed the rear motor whine to seep through into the cabin. They resealed it and the sound is completely gone. So an easy way to check is just pull off the bottom rear seat (just pops off) and see if you can see a blue foam seal at the back. If so thats your issue and tell them to reseal it.

Hhmm was yours a constant high pitched whine or was it more like a high pitched ticking sound? Because the high pitched ticking is what I have and its what im hearing in OPs video

Yeah so that's different. I think you're talking about normal motor inverter whine, a (relatively) lower frequency, clean tone. That's a normal noise, but obviously yours was too loud if noise isolation was missing.

The noise the post is referring to is around 9-11kHz, it's actually high enough that a lot of older adults will start to struggle to hear it, which might also explain why only some are bothered by it.

This is a spectrogram showing the same noise in my car, you can see the motor whine in the 5-7kHz range, this bearing noise is much higher at around 9-11kHz.

1671123981628.png

Your video sounds similar to mine but i have hear it in the warm as well, ill be into tesla prob in the next 3-4 months or so and ill bring it up again then

maybe your hearing is super sensitive, but it sounds perfectly normal.
If you keep focusing on the "noise", that noise will be the only thing you will hear.
Just play some music, talk to other passengers (if any), and enjoy driving.
The sound is definitely not normal - it’s just hard to hear in a video unless you turn the sound up. Also, it has gotten significantly worse the last week and music will not drown out the noise. A three hour drive with this cricket/high pitched noise becomes unnerving.

If you see the other thread, mentioned above, it will make more sense.