Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP High Pitched Noise (40+ mph)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this exact issue where there was a high pitched whining sound around 40-50mph just enough to where it sounded like I had tinnitus. Absolutely drove me nuts. A tech went on a ride along with me and immediately knew what the sound was. We pulled over and he lifted up the rear seat cushion and you could see at the back of the pent house a blue foam seal that was visible and wasn't tucked into the body. The battery penthouse seal not being installed correctly allowed the rear motor whine to seep through into the cabin. They resealed it and the sound is completely gone. So an easy way to check is just pull off the bottom rear seat (just pops off) and see if you can see a blue foam seal at the back. If so thats your issue and tell them to reseal it.

Here's a picture of what it looked like in mine
@Epradox,

Can you kindly post a picture after the seal is fixed? I think I have the same issue, but like to see the picture after it is being fixed

Reactions: Ts91
I had this exact issue where there was a high pitched whining sound around 40-50mph just enough to where it sounded like I had tinnitus. Absolutely drove me nuts. A tech went on a ride along with me and immediately knew what the sound was. We pulled over and he lifted up the rear seat cushion and you could see at the back of the pent house a blue foam seal that was visible and wasn't tucked into the body. The battery penthouse seal not being installed correctly allowed the rear motor whine to seep through into the cabin. They resealed it and the sound is completely gone. So an easy way to check is just pull off the bottom rear seat (just pops off) and see if you can see a blue foam seal at the back. If so thats your issue and tell them to reseal it.

Here's a picture of what it looked like in mine
+1 and same. This explains it! Took delivery of our '23 MYLR7 late 2022. The rear right seat came scuffed, and after they replaced it, I noticed this noise. 40-50 MPH, not related to HVAC/radio/wind noise. More notably during cold weather/cold start. It is driving me insane. Took a tech on a ride along today, and was able to replicate it a bit, but not enough for them to take action. They stated a customer came in with the same issue last week.

Tech suspects drive unit, but due to the seat being replaced, I will ask them to check that first. I'll post before/after pics after the next appointment.

Thank you; I am not crazy.

Reactions: VegasMYP
+1 and same. This explains it! Took delivery of our '23 MYLR7 late 2022. The rear right seat came scuffed, and after they replaced it, I noticed this noise. 40-50 MPH, not related to HVAC/radio/wind noise. More notably during cold weather/cold start. It is driving me insane. Took a tech on a ride along today, and was able to replicate it a bit, but not enough for them to take action. They stated a customer came in with the same issue last week.

Tech suspects drive unit, but due to the seat being replaced, I will ask them to check that first. I'll post before/after pics after the next appointment.

Thank you; I am not crazy.
I think we might have the same problem.

I just took delivery of a 23 MYLR7 yesterday (3/13) and then drove home about 250 miles. At some point I realized it was a noisier than the 2021 Model 3 SR+ that I had before and thought, maybe this is normal now that there is a front motor. My Model 3 was dead silent.

Once I got out of traffic and out on flat, open highway, I was able to investigate a bit further: HVAC system on/off, different speeds, etc. The conclusion for me is that it comes on around 50-55 mph and continues up to 75. It is only really present at steady-state conditions, not accel or decel. (There are different, "normal" sounding noises during accel and decel, as I expect.) It is a relatively faint noise that can be drowned out somewhat with the sound system, but once you hear it, it's hard to ignore.

Sidenote: I'm a controls/test engineer for commercial vehicle powertrains, so I basically get paid to find and fix problems like this... there may be people that would never even notice this noise. But I think I have an above-average sensitivity to noise and irregularities in data.

The OP described it as a sound that sometimes "sputters". That's the same impression I had. It is like a staticky noise coming on and off in a somewhat irregular pattern, which is probably what makes it so annoying. At one point I thought it might be related to a coolant pump or valve based on the sound.

I was searching facebook groups and forums like crazy when I got home, trying to see if it was only me, and it seems like there is somewhat of a history here. I'm not sure all cases are the same issue, but there is definitely some kind of trend. Possible root causes I've seen discussed are: ground straps, penthouse perimeter seals, bearings, drive units, windshield seals....

Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed right now. Brand new car, and an issue that I have no idea if Tesla is really going to help fix or not. Besides this, the car seems to perform great. I'm going to start with a service center appt.

I just took delivery of a 23 MYLR7 yesterday (3/13) and then drove home about 250 miles. At some point I realized it was a noisier than the 2021 Model 3 SR+ that I had before and thought, maybe this is normal now that there is a front motor. My Model 3 was dead silent.

Once I got out of traffic and out on flat, open highway, I was able to investigate a bit further: HVAC system on/off, different speeds, etc. The conclusion for me is that it comes on around 50-55 mph and continues up to 75. It is only really present at steady-state conditions, not accel or decel. (There are different, "normal" sounding noises during accel and decel, as I expect.) It is a relatively faint noise that can be drowned out somewhat with the sound system, but once you hear it, it's hard to ignore.

Sidenote: I'm a controls/test engineer for commercial vehicle powertrains, so I basically get paid to find and fix problems like this... there may be people that would never even notice this noise. But I think I have an above-average sensitivity to noise and irregularities in data.

The OP described it as a sound that sometimes "sputters". That's the same impression I had. It is like a staticky noise coming on and off in a somewhat irregular pattern, which is probably what makes it so annoying. At one point I thought it might be related to a coolant pump or valve based on the sound.

I was searching facebook groups and forums like crazy when I got home, trying to see if it was only me, and it seems like there is somewhat of a history here. I'm not sure all cases are the same issue, but there is definitely some kind of trend. Possible root causes I've seen discussed are: ground straps, penthouse perimeter seals, bearings, drive units, windshield seals....

Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed right now. Brand new car, and an issue that I have no idea if Tesla is really going to help fix or not. Besides this, the car seems to perform great. I'm going to start with a service center appt.
I was at Tesla yesterday. Some guy with model Y says as he goes faster the pitch is so bad he has to put blankets over his seat. They said there's nothing wrong and they could do nothing about it. They don't have a fix. I told him to sell it. Poor guy bought it in October. Unfortunately they are becoming a plain old car company. As Elon pushes the people to put more inventory out they are making shoddier products

My 2022 MYP (7000 miles) recently started having a high pitched drilling noise that sounds during coasting and changes pitch during regen. There are also times that the sound sputters. The noise appears to come from the front left of the car, maybe the motor? Any idea what is causing this noise? (See linked clips below)

I took my car in for service, but was told that they found no unique sounds. This makes no sense, considering my previous M3SR+ didn’t have this issue, and my current model Y did not start out with this noise.

Road trips are unbearable and music won’t even drown out the sound. Please help!

Have you tried tweeting this to Elon? I mean there is no one within Tesla to escalate anything to, just exercise your State's Lemon Law.

Our ~2 month old '23 MYLR does this and it's brutal. Please let us know if you make any progress.

Just wanted to throw in my recent experience, with TLDR at the end:

Took delivery of a 2023 MYLR in October 2022. Immediately noticed a noise like a dentist drill when accelerating. I had driven a couple of other LRs and never heard anything like this. I got a service appointment in December, and the first tech told me they needed to replace the front motor. Then they called back a couple of hours later and said, never mind, it's within spec.

A few months later, I went in for something different, and mentioned it during that service visit, but was told it was still within spec. I suffered through this noise for a few more months, with it gradually getting worse, and additional noises crept in, like a pulsing or warbling noise when cruising at low speeds. I took it in again last week, after a test drive at my local sales center to reassure myself that I wasn't crazy (the test drive car was almost dead silent except a very brief and mild dentist drill sound when accelerating). This time, the service center told me they would charge me $530 for diagnostics, and I should have brought the car in sooner if it was really a problem. Then, after keeping the car and not updating for a few days, I notice in the app that they replaced the front motor, with no payment due.

I got the car back, and it still had a dentist drill noise when hard accelerating, but otherwise was almost completely silent, like a different experience altogether. The shop manager went on a ride-along with me after I complained about some noise still being there. He said they use a tool to measure the noise levels, and only if they pass a certain threshold are they authorized to replace the front motor. It is a well-known problem, and he said there are lots of cars out there with this issue, but they can't do anything until the noise passes that point. The shop chief also said that there are 3 main places people hear noise. From the front, from the back, and from the back seat. The only one that is fixed with the penthouse perimeter seal is the back seat noise (which is normal inverter whine creeping into the cabin). The other noises from the rear, and the front noises, are due to motor defects or other issues with sound dampening insulation (or lack thereof).

Eventually, if my motor passes that threshold again, they will replace it again, but until then, I'm left with a car that is worlds better, but still not as silent as 3 other LRs I've driven (or 2 others that my friends have). The shop chief did mention that I should report the problem in the app's suggestion feature (which I'm trying to find), and that if enough people do so, the engineers at Tesla might take notice and issue a service bulletin to add insulation to the front, but until then, they are not authorized to make changes.

TLDR: It took 3 service visits to get my front motor replaced, which mostly solved the problem, but some high-pitched whine remains. Was told by shop chief that we should all submit suggestions for improved sound insulation in front, otherwise they can't do anything.

Reactions: Drinyth
Just wanted to throw in my recent experience, with TLDR at the end:

Took delivery of a 2023 MYLR in October 2022. Immediately noticed a noise like a dentist drill when accelerating. I had driven a couple of other LRs and never heard anything like this. I got a service appointment in December, and the first tech told me they needed to replace the front motor. Then they called back a couple of hours later and said, never mind, it's within spec.

A few months later, I went in for something different, and mentioned it during that service visit, but was told it was still within spec. I suffered through this noise for a few more months, with it gradually getting worse, and additional noises crept in, like a pulsing or warbling noise when cruising at low speeds. I took it in again last week, after a test drive at my local sales center to reassure myself that I wasn't crazy (the test drive car was almost dead silent except a very brief and mild dentist drill sound when accelerating). This time, the service center told me they would charge me $530 for diagnostics, and I should have brought the car in sooner if it was really a problem. Then, after keeping the car and not updating for a few days, I notice in the app that they replaced the front motor, with no payment due.

I got the car back, and it still had a dentist drill noise when hard accelerating, but otherwise was almost completely silent, like a different experience altogether. The shop manager went on a ride-along with me after I complained about some noise still being there. He said they use a tool to measure the noise levels, and only if they pass a certain threshold are they authorized to replace the front motor. It is a well-known problem, and he said there are lots of cars out there with this issue, but they can't do anything until the noise passes that point. The shop chief also said that there are 3 main places people hear noise. From the front, from the back, and from the back seat. The only one that is fixed with the penthouse perimeter seal is the back seat noise (which is normal inverter whine creeping into the cabin). The other noises from the rear, and the front noises, are due to motor defects or other issues with sound dampening insulation (or lack thereof).

Eventually, if my motor passes that threshold again, they will replace it again, but until then, I'm left with a car that is worlds better, but still not as silent as 3 other LRs I've driven (or 2 others that my friends have). The shop chief did mention that I should report the problem in the app's suggestion feature (which I'm trying to find), and that if enough people do so, the engineers at Tesla might take notice and issue a service bulletin to add insulation to the front, but until then, they are not authorized to make changes.

TLDR: It took 3 service visits to get my front motor replaced, which mostly solved the problem, but some high-pitched whine remains. Was told by shop chief that we should all submit suggestions for improved sound insulation in front, otherwise they can't do anything.
nice! congrats -- I won my lawsuit against tesla for this so I'm saying goodbye to the company for now

Reactions: tmwnn
Does anyone know what this high pitch sound is?
I’ve had this sound come up multiple times since delivery (March 2023). I first heard it the first couple of months then It hasn’t happened all summer. Started happening again recently
Video 1
Video 2
I have the same noise in my Model 3 Performance. Gone during the summer but now with temps around 5-10 degrees Celsius it's getting worse. I did however go on a back road yesterday and ripped it for around 10 minutes. Hard acceleration and cornering. Then the noise was gone for around a couple of hours..

I first noticed this motor whine this past week after my 2022 model Y cam back from the body shop after my neighbor ran into it. I had a Model Y from Hertz that did not have the issue. I do sound for a living so I documented the problem with a recording. I found the problem to be most noticeable at 69 MPH. It is a 3800 hz whine. Follow this link for the audio recording and images of the issue. included is the original recording unaltered and boosted for clarity. Because it is around 3800hz the ear is really sensitive to it. It drills a hole in my brain. Follow the link for the audio files

Attachments

• TeslaModel Y raw file.png
    TeslaModel Y raw file.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 171
  • Tela Model Y close up.png
    Tela Model Y close up.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Tesla Model Y Whine_Boosted for clarity.png
    Tesla Model Y Whine_Boosted for clarity.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 9.51.07 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 9.51.07 AM.png