Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP Motor Failure

Have you experienced a motor failure in your MYP?

• No

Votes: 97 81.5%
  • Yes, one.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • Yes, multiple

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually it did limp out, after it showed the message, the car still let me move it for about 5 mins. Those options went away by the time the tow truck arrived and I tried to start the car to move in position.
I mean even longer. What happens to some one on a road trip 500, 1000 or 1500 miles from home. Again why can’t the car continue to be driven on ONE MOTOR?

A failure as I stated could cost the owner hundreds if not a thousand dollars, with hotels, rental cars, etc not to mention the sheer terror of being stranded on the side of a highway far from home without any support network, is the tow truck driver going to take you to a hotel? Do you stay at the hotel while some Service Center works on your car, or do you go home only to have to go back days later and get it when it repaired. How does that work?

My wife and I are 70 years old with medical conditions and we’d be under considerable stress if that happened to us. With legacy manufactures there is problbailty of a dealer within 25-50 miles of most major interstates. if they are open at least you have some shelter and safety while you figure out your next move. Yes if they are closed at least you’d be closer to your vehicle. We travel from southern IL to southern MD 3 maybe 4 times a year, via I-64 once past Louisville the next Service Center is in Richmond, maybe Cincinnati or Nashville.

Some will say I’m overthinking this maybe so, but it’s probably 24 years in the USAF speaking, always have a plan and an alternate.

I apology if I sound bitchy, stressed or baffled. But the what if’s linger.

Last edited:
I mean even longer. What happens to some one on a road trip 500, 1000 or 1500 miles from home. Again why can’t the car continue to be driven on ONE MOTOR?

A failure as I stated could cost the owner hundreds if not a thousand dollars, with hotels, rental cars, etc not to mention the sheer terror of being stranded on the side of a highway far from home without any support network, is the tow truck driver going to take you to a hotel? Do you stay at the hotel while some Service Center works on your car, or do you go home only to have to go back days later and get it when it repaired. How does that work?

My wife and I are 70 years old with medical conditions and we’d be under considerable stress if that happened to us. With legacy manufactures there is problbailty of a dealer within 25-50 miles of most major interstates. if they are open at least you have some shelter and safety while you figure out your next move. Yes if they are closed at least you’d be closer to your vehicle. We travel from southern IL to southern MD 3 maybe 4 times a year, via I-64 once past Louisville the next Service Center is in Richmond, maybe Cincinnati or Nashville.

Some will say I’m overthinking this maybe so, but it’s probably 24 years in the USAF speaking, always have a plan and an alternate.

I apology if I sound bitchy, stressed or baffled. But the what if’s linger.
Good questions, but few things I noticed that might reduce the anxiety:
1) When i called, tesla support pickup right away, no hold, no music, and was able to remote diagnose and tell me that it was a rear motor problem (at-least some certainty as opposed to being clueless)
2) I asked them if i could drive 1 mile (was only a mile away from home), but they recommended strongly against it (at-least clear instructions on what to do)
3) Tow truck took 1.5 hours to come by, but the driver said, their contract with tesla is such that, they will give top priority to tesla tow, he was actually assigned to tow another car that he dropped and came to me throgh the other job was closer to him. (side note: Tesla cars are picky in how they can be towed, only flatbed, no inclined tows, also, there is something you need to do on the settings screen to put it in "towing mode", the tow truck driver was aware of this, and instructed me
4) i was able to keep the a/c on and stayed comfortably in the car. Luckily i had 70% battery, so running out of juice was not a concern, the silver lining is staying put inside a tesla for extended time (overnight?) is an option if you are stranded in the middle of nowhere
5) i rode on the tow truck and got dropped at the tesla service center (they were open at that time). I got uber credits (upto $100 per day) for the ride home, and for the duration of the service. (If they are closed, you may be able to stay in your car for the night?)
6) They did not had a loaner, but offered to pay for a rental car, so, in your case, you can drive away on a rental car, and switch when yours is ready.

I know none of this is ideal, but i did feel that tesla was trying earnestly to resolve the issue, and that felt good at some level.

Good questions, but few things I noticed that might reduce the anxiety:
1) When i called, tesla support pickup right away, no hold, no music, and was able to remote diagnose and tell me that it was a rear motor problem (at-least some certainty as opposed to being clueless)
2) I asked them if i could drive 1 mile (was only a mile away from home), but they recommended strongly against it (at-least clear instructions on what to do)
3) Tow truck took 1.5 hours to come by, but the driver said, their contract with tesla is such that, they will give top priority to tesla tow, he was actually assigned to tow another car that he dropped and came to me throgh the other job was closer to him. (side note: Tesla cars are picky in how they can be towed, only flatbed, no inclined tows, also, there is something you need to do on the settings screen to put it in "towing mode", the tow truck driver was aware of this, and instructed me
4) i was able to keep the a/c on and stayed comfortably in the car. Luckily i had 70% battery, so running out of juice was not a concern, the silver lining is staying put inside a tesla for extended time (overnight?) is an option if you are stranded in the middle of nowhere
5) i rode on the tow truck and got dropped at the tesla service center (they were open at that time). I got uber credits (upto $100 per day) for the ride home, and for the duration of the service. (If they are closed, you may be able to stay in your car for the night?)
6) They did not had a loaner, but offered to pay for a rental car, so, in your case, you can drive away on a rental car, and switch when yours is ready.

I know none of this is ideal, but i did feel that tesla was trying earnestly to resolve the issue, and that felt good at some level.
Thanks for the Lesson Learned. When things like this happen you panic and that adds to stress. As I outlined in another post my 5-day-old MYP died in my garage and had to be towed and was at the Service Center for 8 days. So I already experienced a taste of this from the comfort of my own home, not some distance city. But questions remain.
IJwZIvL.jpg

My tow was fantastic, from call to arrival was 45 minutes and they had my car dropped out at our local Service center in another hour, so less than 2 hours from call to drop off. all because of a manufacturing defect in a wiring harness.

I asked the driver what would have happened had I broken down on the road and he said "he's authorized" to transport "ONE PERSON" so if traveling with more than one person or a pet then what? I wouldn't know what to do short of calling 911. Hence all my questions, do I need to add some Travel Points of Contact to my phone? I know Enterprise Rental will come and get you but only during business hours, I have NEVER used Uber so don't know how that works. Do I need the app, do I need to create an account, or can I just call a number and a human will help?

I'd like to have all these questions asked and answered before I have to use them in an emergency. So I'm doing some research before our upcoming trip to Maryland this Thursday with a brand new Y that has already failed HARD on me.

Last edited:
Hello, I am looking for information from the experience of others........

I am in New York, I have a 2020 MYP with 24,000 miles on it. The vehicle has been perfect until now, including a 4,000mi cross country trip last year. On Sept 1, while driving at highway speed, I felt a clunk and there was a warning that the vehicle would lose power. "Turtle mode". I couldn't make it to the next exit, so I pulled over on the shoulder. Notification said exiting and re-entering the vehicle will restore function, so I got out, got back in, and I was able to drive home. I arranged a tow to Tesla and after a few days, they told me they replaced the accelerator pedal and the car was fixed. On Sept 14, the same thing happened, twice within a few miles of my home, so I had it towed again and this time they replaced the rear drive unit inverter. Today, the same thing happened again and I am waiting for the tow truck. The first and third times I was navigating to a supercharger, but not the second time. Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, what repair ultimately fixed the problem for good? I love my car but if they do not solve the problem this time, I believe I will be in Lemon Law territory.

Posting mostly to vent, but had an interesting thing happen yesterday.

Driving along at highway speeds when I feel a sudden lurch and then the car starts telling me to pull over, limits the speed to 68MPH and says rear motor temporarily disabled and that the car is shutting down.

Roadside was pretty solid, got the car dropped off at service center and waiting on them to look at it.

2 month old MYP with just shy of 2500 miles on it... can't say I'm too thrilled to have broken down so soon. Only issue I've had with the car so far but I guess if you're gonna fail, fail big?
Mine is at the service center, and they've promised parts by tomorrow, car returned next day. This breakdown has cost me $ personally (not paying Tesla)

Driving along at highway speeds when I feel a sudden lurch and then the car starts telling me to pull over, limits the speed to 68MPH and says rear motor temporarily disabled and that the car is shutting down.

Roadside was pretty solid, got the car dropped off at service center and waiting on them to look at it.

2 month old MYP with just shy of 2500 miles on it... can't say I'm too thrilled to have broken down so soon. Only issue I've had with the car so far but I guess if you're gonna fail, fail big?

That's awfully polite to say you are "not too thrilled" about 2 motors failing. I've had one now, and I was furious. To say it inconvenienced me is polite--It was a huge mess in my life. Tesla is sending me $300 to compensate for my expenses related to this failure.

Lol.. mid day tomorrow. Welcome to Tesla my friend. Sorry, but you won’t have your car back for a few weeks. Guaranteed.

No, not guaranteed that it will take that long. Are you possibly one of those Tesla short sellers or a competitor? It's hard to tell since you locked your profile for viewing.

He got it back in less than a week. Tesla is constantly improving and I am sure they don't want to keep their customers waiting for weeks. I've found that they are usually able to complete work the same day for regular maintenance items, thankfully. This is good for customer satisfaction.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ord3r and Nakk
No, not guaranteed that it will take that long. Are you possibly one of those Tesla short sellers or a competitor? It's hard to tell since you locked your profile for viewing.

He got it back in less than a week. Tesla is constantly improving and I am sure they don't want to keep their customers waiting for weeks. I've found that they are usually able to complete work the same day for regular maintenance items, thankfully. This is good for customer satisfaction.
Am I a short seller or competitor? Wow.. I’m actually not any of those. I’m a long time tesla customer and owner. We have 2 in our garage and I personally have been a stock HOLDER (not shorter) for over 5 years. Relax.

Adding to the Model Y rear motor disabled thread. I have a 2021 MYLR delivered Sept 2021. Last week I joined the club - reading these threads makes me think I may have heard a clunk right before but I don't remember. I had also just come from a supercharger to prep for a big road trip (1600 miles roundtrip). I barely got off the street and onto the edge of a parking lot. It took an hour for the tow truck to come, but he was very knowledgeable about Tesla and how to safely tow them. I have 16k miles and have already taken it halfway across the country and on a full cross country trip this past summer. I am thankful I was close to home. They towed it to a service center. I rented a car for the road trip and left the next morning. They had the car the entire week of thanksgiving with no movement on it. When I returned, I got in touch with them and asked for a loaner. They sent me some uber credits in the app. I pressed for a loaner and picked one up yesterday. They expect it to be ready by Friday (so 2 weeks). I was told it was an inverter but at this point they have only done the remote diagnostics - as of today, they still haven't started the repairs, so we will see if it takes longer. I can not imagine this happening on a road trip. Like many others, the thought of it happening on the highway with my children is frightening and it does not give you a lot of time to respond - I would guess I had less than a minute to try and pull over once the warning lights flashed and the car just stopped moving.

tempImagejaS4qX.jpg

We had just picked up our new model Y dual motor, non-performance last Thursday at 5pm. 5 miles later my wife called while I was following her to tell me all kinds of warning messages were popping up on the display. Front motor diabled, ok to drive; vehicle hold feature unavailable; auto emerg braking disabked; lane departure avoidance features unavailable; stability control disabled; auto vehicle hold disabled.
We turned around and took the car back, catching the last person out the door. The tech did a quick factory reboot to no avail. We received word the next day that they had to order parts. They provided a loaner when requested. Tuesday afternoon they had the car ready. We picked it up Wed. They replaced the front drive motor (1st gen) and body controller module. Parts ASY,M3,FRONT 3DU,GLOBAL(1120960-10-H) and controller ASYSEMBLY - FRONT VEHICLE CONTROLLER GEN 3.1(1583991-10-D). They were requested to give us After 55 miles, no issues. Hopefully that's the last.

• Informative
Reactions: boulder.dude
My rear motor failed less than 24hrs after I picked up my car. Less than 100km on it when it happened. This is a 2022 MYP that I took delivery of in Dec 2021.

I didn't realize these failures were more common and happening at higher mileage too. I thought I was unlucky and if it's going to break, it would happen early in the lifespan of the motor.