Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP Motor Failure

Have you experienced a motor failure in your MYP?

• No

Votes: 97 81.5%
  • Yes, one.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • Yes, multiple

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know, for all the "electric motors are so much simpler than gas engines" talk that we often hear, I don't see a lot of "my engine went out and they have to replace it" threads on other ICE car forums with folks regularly chiming in with "me too". Hoping Tesla just had a bad batch of these things, but as a guy whose Model S drive unit was replaced 4 times (and counting), well...

Having the same issue with the brand new MYLR. The vehicle has been serviced twice, the first time I can not unlock the vehicle in a parking lot, towed it to the SC but they couldn't identify any issue. 1 Week later, the vehicle showed "vehicle may not restart, Service is required", scheduled the service and week after they called me they identified the issue comes from the motor.

Looks like I’m also a new member of the Motor Failure Club. Have a 2022 MYLR; took delivery end of Dec. 2021. I was loving the car for nearly 2,500 miles until it died last week (Feb. 25) right when I tried shifting into reverse to back out of my garage.

I heard a loud thump come from the rear axle area and then received several alerts: Power reduced, Vehicle shutting down, Vehicle may not restart, Service is required… and lastly: Schedule service to replace 12 volt battery.

Roadside had it towed to area SC. They gave me a loaner and said they’d be in touch. I found out several days later that there are 3 items they plan to address: Replacing the rear drive unit/inverter and the 12 volt battery — and installing a pyrotechnic battery disconnect.

They ordered the parts and with likely shipping delays, they estimate the work might get finished in two weeks.

My other half and I aren’t thrilled with having a new car die after only two months. I’m hoping they tackle this major issue. I’m wondering if this a quality issue with the parts, assembly, technical design, bad luck — or all of the above?
Same exactly description. But mine was a myp took delivery dec 2021. Same 3 items replaced. Car seems to feel slower than before. Not sure if I’m being paranoid haha

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
Mine failed at 15000 miles on a bridge. Same warnings and power shutdown stuff. Supposedly “rear motor inverter failure”… Tesla Raleigh took around 2 weeks to replace. To give them credit, they provided an Enterprise rental during the repairs. Kind of unnerving wondering if it’ll happen again… very interested to hear if any have had a repeated failure.

Mine failed at 15000 miles on a bridge. Same warnings and power shutdown stuff. Supposedly “rear motor inverter failure”… Tesla Raleigh took around 2 weeks to replace. To give them credit, they provided an Enterprise rental during the repairs. Kind of unnerving wondering if it’ll happen again… very interested to hear if any have had a repeated failure.
Probably worth clarifying: Mine is a late 2021 MYP, took delivery right at end-of-quarter 9-29-2021.

Is there a list of VIN’s and the mileage when these failures occurred. I just picked up our PMY two days ago and it’s sitting with 179 miles on it and we have a long road trip planned on Sept 15th. I figure we’ll have about 450 miles on it when we depart.

Is there a list of VIN’s and the mileage when these failures occurred. I just picked up our PMY two days ago and it’s sitting with 179 miles on it and we have a long road trip planned on Sept 15th. I figure we’ll have about 450 miles on it when we depart.
Just go and enjoy. We took a 4,400 mile road trip when our car had only 450 miles on it.

Given these cars have two electric motors, why can't the car still drive (maybe in limp/safe mode) to get you out of harm's way? No vehicle or family should get stranded like this. It's dangerous on many levels.

Surely there is an engineering solution to allow the vehicle to keep driving.

Given these cars have two electric motors, why can't the car still drive (maybe in limp/safe mode) to get you out of harm's way? No vehicle or family should get stranded like this. It's dangerous on many levels.

Surely there is an engineering solution to allow the vehicle to keep driving.
Actually it did limp out, after it showed the message, the car still let me move it for about 5 mins. Those options went away by the time the tow truck arrived and I tried to start the car to move in position.