Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP range estimate with 19” Martian wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys

quick Q. See if anyone can help me answer this Q.

so I have a brand new 2022 MYP with 21” uberturbine. Full charge 100% showing 300 miles. I change out those uberturbine to 19” Martian wheels. And I change the wheel configuration to 19” gemini. im using the same factiry size tires. Why the range still show 300 and not 330? So assuming I get better range with the 19”, should I count 30 additional range when screeen show zero?

I had a 2020 LR before. Sold it to get the P. I play with all three set of factory wheels before. I tried 19“, 20” and 21”. every time I swap wheel, I would edit the wheel configuration and show more range or less when fully charge.

why my new p doesn’t do that? What am I missing.

TIA!

The software in your vehicle is for a Performance Model Y. Tesla only sells the Performance Model Y with the 21" Uberturbine staggered wheel configuration. If you attempt to order the 19" or 20" wheel and winter tire package from Tesla the Tesla site states that the 19" and 20" wheel are not compatible with the Performance Model Y. This may be why your Tesla Performance Model Y is not giving you the option of changing the wheel size to other than 21". Note that many Tesla Performance Model Y owners have changed to the Tesla 19" and 20" wheels with no fitment issues.

The range number displayed next to the battery icon is just an estimate. Over time many Tesla owners prefer to display the battery percent state of charge (SOC) instead of the range number. If you tap on the range number displayed on the screen of either the Tesla vehicle or the Tesla app the display will switch to % SOC. To get an accurate range estimate when traveling a route that you have entered into the Navigation system you can use the Energy screen.

Reactions: Gaige and Big Earl
Even with the 19" Gemini wheels, you won't get the same real world range as a MYLR with the same 19" Gemini wheels. It will get you closer, for sure, but the MYP is less efficient than the LR so you won't get all the way there.

Even with the 19" Gemini wheels, you won't get the same real world range as a MYLR with the same 19" Gemini wheels. It will get you closer, for sure, but the MYP is less efficient than the LR so you won't get all the way there.

Why would the MYP be less efficient than the LR on similar wheels/tires? I've read (without any evidence presented) that the different motor on the MYP is more efficient. With the lower ride height I would expect less drag as well.

The software in your vehicle is for a Performance Model Y. Tesla only sells the Performance Model Y with the 21" Uberturbine staggered wheel configuration. If you attempt to order the 19" or 20" wheel and winter tire package from Tesla the Tesla site states that the 19" and 20" wheel are not compatible with the Performance Model Y. This may be why your Tesla Performance Model Y is not giving you the option of changing the wheel size to other than 21". Note that many Tesla Performance Model Y owners have changed to the Tesla 19" and 20" wheels with no fitment issues.

The range number displayed next to the battery icon is just an estimate. Over time many Tesla owners prefer to display the battery percent state of charge (SOC) instead of the range number. If you tap on the range number displayed on the screen of either the Tesla vehicle or the Tesla app the display will switch to % SOC. To get an accurate range estimate when traveling a route that you have entered into the Navigation system you can use the Energy screen.

I was about to change my wheel configuration to 19” from 21”. The picture on my screen does show the Gemini wheel setup but my range number didn’t change.

My old LR Y did. My range number will adjust according to which wheel I pick.

Weird!

Why would the MYP be less efficient than the LR on similar wheels/tires? I've read (without any evidence presented) that the different motor on the MYP is more efficient. With the lower ride height I would expect less drag as well.
The motors are different (and purportedly less efficient) in the performance version. It is definitely NOT more efficient.

The real world range of the MYP is way worse than the MYLR. Adding smaller wheels helps this somewhat, but I've never seen a single instance in which someone was able to get all of the range difference back by just swapping wheels. I would LOVE to be wrong about this though.

The motors are different (and purportedly less efficient) in the performance version. It is definitely NOT more efficient.

The real world range of the MYP is way worse than the MYLR. Adding smaller wheels helps this somewhat, but I've never seen a single instance in which someone was able to get all of the range difference back by just swapping wheels. I would LOVE to be wrong about this though.
If the 980 motors (performance) are less efficient how would the MYLR and MYSR that came with them last year achieve the same efficiency ratings?

See thread here:

19" gemini's and driving in standard should get you the same range as a LR. Since the MYP has a lower suspension it should have less wind resistance and should get better range then the LR but chances are you won't see any difference.

I plan to swap out my 21's when I get my car and replace them with these 19" from ts-sportline. They look just like the 21's and have the lug cap. They are a little heavier then the gemini's so I am expecting something between them and the 20" as far as range. I like the look of the 21" but the tires are too expensive .

1649721959002.png

19" gemini's and driving in standard should get you the same range as a LR. Since the MYP has a lower suspension it should have less wind resistance and should get better range then the LR but chances are you won't see any difference.

I plan to swap out my 21's when I get my car and replace them with these 19" from ts-sportline. They look just like the 21's and have the lug cap. They are a little heavier then the gemini's so I am expecting something between them and the 20" as far as range. I like the look of the 21" but the tires are too expensive .

View attachment 792606
Very nice; How much are they?

If the 980 motors (performance) are less efficient how would the MYLR and MYSR that came with them last year achieve the same efficiency ratings?

See thread here:
Yea, the other poster has it wrong. The motors are not less efficient but are more powerful so inverter can draw more power. I'm not an expert here but fwiw the system pushes more power in the performance models.

If LR and P are on Gemini’s with same tire+tread, I would expect efficiency especially in Chill Mode to be roughIy the same considering the same 0-60mph @7.5x(ish) for both LR and P. I assume Sport vs. Normal is probably a different story… but someone please chime in if they know.

Even if rated miles changed on the display, the most important factor is wh/mi vs usable capacity as this will determine actual miles….. so if you are consuming less (on 19’s vs 21s) you can drive further.

here's my little update on my experience so far. I put on 1000 miles on the 19' martian.

On chill mode when driving with the family, I get about 260-275 wh/mi. I haven't try to drain it to zero yet. but I feel liked im getting close to the 303 advertise. As long as I don't step on it. My miles indictor seem to follow the milages I drove. Even with playing with the battery percent, at 50%, I have 150 miles left. At 25%, I have 75 miles.

but On sport mode solo, 300+ wh/mi. No way I will get 303 at 100%! lol. My range goes down quick! I do liked the ride tho with the 19'! And its a bit quicker 0-60 compared to the 21'. I tested a few run with the 21' before removing them with a dragy.

Just seeing this thread. I have MYP and I run the stock 21" Ubertine in the summer and 20" Tsportline TS5 (w/ Michelin Pilot A/S) in the winter. There is negligible range improvement with my TS5 wheels. In fact, they may be worse due to their open face design which is definitely noisier and creates more drag.

Your Martian wheels will likely be similar in this manner (less aerodynamic than the Ubertine). I've found the wheel aerodynamic aspect to be an important contributing variable. For example, your 1000 miles experience with your 19" Martians is likely a little better than mine because you're using them in a warmer climate. Where I am with the open wheel profile and colder, heavier air in the winter, I get about 290-320 wh/mi in the winter with my TS5 (I don't bother trying to drive like a grandpa).

In the summer, my TS5 will improve to ~ 270-290 wh/mi. However, with the Ubertine in the summer I can easily and regularly reach the rated 260 wh/mi and often much less (momentarily) when it's really warm here.

But in no circumstance can I get a long term, meaningful improvement in efficiency to lower than ~ 260 wh/mi. I don't see a way to achieve 330 miles of range in a MYP unless you gutted the interior (weight reduction), chose closed-face and light weight aerodynamic wheels, and drove under 55 mph.

Unless this has changed in a recent software update, I am able to switch my wheels in the menu from Ubertine to Gemini. However, this only changes the graphic on the screen. I think it may affect the acceleration curve if there is a mismatch, but I also think that may be my own superstition.

* Nothing in my comment is a complaint. I love my MYP and its monster power.

Just seeing this thread. I have MYP and I run the stock 21" Ubertine in the summer and 20" Tsportline TS5 (w/ Michelin Pilot A/S) in the winter. There is negligible range improvement with my TS5 wheels. In fact, they may be worse due to their open face design which is definitely noisier and creates more drag.

Your Martian wheels will likely be similar in this manner (less aerodynamic than the Ubertine). I've found the wheel aerodynamic aspect to be an important contributing variable. For example, your 1000 miles experience with your 19" Martians is likely a little better than mine because you're using them in a warmer climate. Where I am with the open wheel profile and colder, heavier air in the winter, I get about 290-320 wh/mi in the winter with my TS5 (I don't bother trying to drive like a grandpa).

In the summer, my TS5 will improve to ~ 270-290 wh/mi. However, with the Ubertine in the summer I can easily and regularly reach the rated 260 wh/mi and often much less (momentarily) when it's really warm here.

But in no circumstance can I get a long term, meaningful improvement in efficiency to lower than ~ 260 wh/mi. I don't see a way to achieve 330 miles of range in a MYP unless you gutted the interior (weight reduction), chose closed-face and light weight aerodynamic wheels, and drove under 55 mph.

Unless this has changed in a recent software update, I am able to switch my wheels in the menu from Ubertine to Gemini. However, this only changes the graphic on the screen. I think it may affect the acceleration curve if there is a mismatch, but I also think that may be my own superstition.

* Nothing in my comment is a complaint. I love my MYP and its monster power.
Thats OK.. you likely can't get 330 on a LR either :)

What we need is a controlled test using a MYLR & a MYP where they each run each others tires. That way we can see what each version is getting with different tires sinceit really depends on the person driving. The inside ev's 2020 MYLR 70 mPH range test got 276 Miles so thats 54 less then EPA. I haven't seen a MYP version of this run.

Thats OK.. you likely can't get 330 on a LR either :)

What we need is a controlled test using a MYLR & a MYP where they each run each others tires. That way we can see what each version is getting with different tires sinceit really depends on the person driving. The inside ev's 2020 MYLR 70 mPH range test got 276 Miles so thats 54 less then EPA. I haven't seen a MYP version of this run.
Too bad MythBusters is no longer on the air... They did revive it sort of with Motor MythBusters, but it is not the same...

Reactions: Daekwan