Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP vs MYLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted a new Y given all the updates, so I traded my 2020 LR AWD Y for a PMY. Given I added the following to my LR AWD, a P was an easy decision:

Performance Boost: $2K
Rear CF spoiler: $500
Performance Pedals: $50
Painted Gemini wheels black: $400
Painted calipers red: $200
Total: $3150

I did order some 18” tires/wheels from TSportLine for $2600 (should recover most of the lost range, gain some performance, rotate tires, cheaper replacement down the road, better ride and less fear of curbs and potholes and I prefer the look of more sidewalk than the rubber bands so trendy today. This is an CUV not a sports car. I also have several folks interested in buying my OEM 21s for $2500 so I could only be out $100.

Now having driven the new P for 286 miles here in IL I can say how surprised I am over the ride and feel of the P’s suspension. It feels better than my 2020 LR AWD Y. I could easily live with them if they didn’t come with all the other downsides. So the 18s will probably ride amazing.

Oh and it was 106 days from order to delivery.
I did the same thing with the tires/wheels. TBH, I thought the ride of my MYP is better than that of my 2018 Dual Motor M3LR even on the 21's. Still no regrets swapping to the 18s as I prefer the beefy looking rubber vs the 21s.

Reactions: TomServo
I never understand why people say this lol

It’s like buying an AMG pkg for your Benz with AMG rims - but then taking those rims off and putting basic ones

If you’re doing Performance- do the Performance! The wheels are 95% of it
Buddy normally I agree with you. In this case the’Perf’ rims are in look only but are absolute whales in weight. Going to 19” and lighter forges is what one should do if they are more serious abt actual Perf.

Having said all this, I prefer to keep my lead weighted oem Perf rims for the look :)

Doing the Performance as you wrote is actually not keeping stock oem in this case lol.

Reactions: Hunt3r
Buddy normally I agree with you. In this case the’Perf’ rims are in look only but are absolute whales in weight. Going to 19” and lighter forges is what one should do if they are more serious abt actual Perf.

Having said all this, I prefer to keep my lead weighted oem Perf rims for the look :)

Doing the Performance as you wrote is actually not keeping stock oem in this case lol.

Yes but there are aftermarket wheels, virtually everything really, that you can find that out performs stock if you're going to use that mentality. :) Wheels, tires, suspension, etc. Thank goodness there are no engine mods (yet) for these things.

Yes but there are aftermarket wheels, virtually everything really, that you can find that out performs stock if you're going to use that mentality. :) Wheels, tires, suspension, etc. Thank goodness there are no engine mods (yet) for these things.
Power mods for an EV? Man…bring it on lol.
I’d pay decent for a ludicrous mode on my MYP hands down! 😉

I never understand why people say this lol

It’s like buying an AMG pkg for your Benz with AMG rims - but then taking those rims off and putting basic ones

If you’re doing Performance- do the Performance! The wheels are 95% of it
For potholed city streets what advantage do you get with the 21” wheels? in fact with 18s my PY is probably faster? The “rubber band” tires are useless on a DD. I can‘t think of a single UPSIDE aside from LOOK’s. Have a DRAGY and will do some BEFORE/AFTER testing. My insurance increased $20/mo.

Reactions: yellowr6