Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP vs MYLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both cars have Brembos, with the difference being the LR just has sliders in the rear instead of fixed calipers like the front.

OP, get the MYP if you are a driving enthusiast. If you are more of a commuter or casual driver, the LR is pretty darn good as it is. Put the LR into context and realize that it already nails .88g on the skid pad vs .95 for the MYP. Hitting .88g is pretty damn good in its own right, a lot of expensive german SUV can barely hit .88g. Thus if you need, no want more then there is the MYP.

When we were shopping the two, was looking at a 7 seat LR vs the MYP. I talked the wife into the MYP because we didn't really need 7 seats anymore, and I knew I'd rather flog the Performance around on Sundays when I'm driving her car. And it turns out she likes the MYP, she's fine with the stiffer ride because she knows it drives like a rocket.
Do you think for a driving enthusiast that the MYP will get me excited more so than a 2017-2018 S 90/100D?

Do you think for a driving enthusiast that the MYP will get me excited more so than a 2017-2018 S 90/100D?
Hmm, those are two very different cars! If I'm not locked to those two choices, I'd get a M3P and take the money saved vs a used 100D and throw on suspension mods. Don't get me wrong though, I'd never kick a 100D out of bed. It's just that I prefer the smaller chassis vs the heavy weight S. We're talking about a thousand pound weight difference here. The 100D will be faster in a straight line but the 3 will carve a faster line in the corners. That said, the MYP can be modded almost to the same extent as the 3. But w/o track mode the Y won't be as ideal a track day weapon as a M3P, but its an SUV that has a ton more utility.

Previous lap time for some history into the tuner arms race... btw they are also battling it out on tuned MYP's.

Yes. I’ve had a 16’ 90D and a 2018 100D until last august. While the S is certainly beautiful in its own regard, the MYP will be quicker, better visibility, newer tech, faster charging, faster Interface.

If you want more speed in S, consider a 2017/18 P100DL…still a ‘respectable’ 2.28 0-60 lol 😂

Reactions: weathergeekdan
Its a 5k difference, but if you are one who is even contemplating the Model Y Performance, you are also someone who is likely to buy the acceleration boost on a Model Y Long Range, and thats 2k. That means the effective difference is 3k, and the Model YP is still faster off the line, has the red calipers etc. At the cost of a 60+k vehicle, 3k is a fairly insignificant amount.

Said another way, someone contemplating a model Y LR vs a Performance model can likely afford the 5k difference (3k after acceleration boost as I said) either up front, or over the cost of the loan.

This is why my wife has a model Y P we just picked up last week instead of a model Y Long range. Can always swap tires to smaller ones etc, but people in ICE land pay a lot of money for extra speed, and 3k is not much in this price range of vehicle.
Exactly - The logic you describe above is what drove me from the LR to the P and never looked back.

Exactly - The logic you describe above is what drove me from the LR to the P and never looked back.
I wish…. When I purchased the price difference was $10k. so the LR+AB was a better deal ground than the $10k price difference (yes $6k post AB and Inductions). But I also purchased at $48990 base. $14k less than today’s pricing.

Today I would go for the MYP for sure. I hate knowing there is a faster variant out there and I don’t have it. But at $10k I had to balance the cost / benefit.

just ordered a myp last sunday. originally ordered mylr with the geminis but del date was jan 2023...im in no rush but i dont have that much patience. im more of a thrill driver so decided whats another 5k to go twice as fast lol. new expected del date is early june to mid july. ive had cars from every end of the spectrum and this is going to be first electric. gas prices sending everyone looking at ev's...currently in a 22 rr sport and test drove a m3...feels weird but very comfortable without any of the engine noise lol. although in most cases thats what sells the car

Reactions: Destiny1701
Looks like MYP just got pushed out to June and it's January 2023 for a MYLR with geminis. 2.5 months vs 10ish months.. still 1/4th the time
View attachment 782954
As of today, now pushed out until as late as April, 2023 (one year!) for the base model. Insane! MYP says June - July.

52C7A59E-5E17-4A09-ACFF-3C0BBBADD2D6.jpeg

Reactions: Daniel L
The price delta no longer favours the LR over the P. It used to. Tesla obv wants to keep selling their highest margin cars first.

I had a sept 2021 MY LR w/boost and sold it. While it was awesome, it did feel more like an SUV and the 19” made it feel a boatier?
The boost helped with mid and upper range but the 0-30 still felt heavy

Have a MYP coming April 20th. :)

Reactions: weathergeekdan
A few items to consider:

1. Prior the P was $10k more than the LR.
2. Not everyone cares about going fast. All Teslas are the fastest cars on the road already. What is the major advantage of going one seconds faster?
3. The miles are estimated and depends on how someone drives. If a P is using considerable more battery power (acceleration, speed) it'll get 70% of what's estimated if not less. Remember: The faster a Tesla drives the more power it uses = less miles.

In the end, why try to decide what others are purchasing? It doesn't impact you.

Is there a difference in the electric motors between the LR & Y? Because even after the upgrade in the LR for acceleration the P is still faster…I’m wondering if there is a physical difference in addition to software.
Just the P is not locked. Algo’s for the P motors are just different. At least I think so 🤔

I bought the MYP to get it faster than the LR but test drove the LR 2x before accepting delivery. I was bracing for the worst when it comes to suspension of the 21” and honestly, its not that much worse than the LR. To me they are both pretty unrefined and awful on bad roads. I’ve gotten used the the suspension and I don’t think smaller wheels will save me here.

The way I justified the purchase in my head at the time was the MYP’s is somewhat comparable to a BMW X3 M40i and Macan S. I do want something peppy and at the time when I bought it (received in Feb) it was the cheapest option when factoring in the fact that I don’t have to pay sales tax or gasoline. It also has more space than both of those vehicles although the interior is not as nice as the Macan.

Granted if you don’t care about the whole ICE vs. EV debate, the newest prices start to make you wonder if you’re just better off buying an Acura MDX or GV70 or GV80 if you a person that doesn’t care about performance.

Why would one go for a MYLR versus a MYP? Or, the other way around?

It's know a $5k difference.
Ride quality harsher on MYP due to 21" rims
Range is less on MYP, but due to 21" staggered rims
MYP is quicker, lower, and has cool looking spoiler and red brakes

Better resale value for MYP?
I think anyone in this forum could make a case that either has benefits over the other. I guess it all depends on your priorities.

When I ordered my MYLR with induction wheels on Oct 1st 2022, the Performance version made no sense to me.
If I recall this correctly, the performance range was something like 293 vs the MYLR at 330.
The price difference was something like $7000 and the biggest nail in the coffin for the performance for me was the summer tires.
I have owned a couple of cars with summer tires and they are pain in the azz. They never last more than 14,000 miles and on my 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE they did not like temps below 60F.

Then a few things changed.......
Tesla upped the Performance range to 303 and then dropped the range for the MYLR with induction wheels to 318.
The price gap narrowed and best of all, they now fit All season tires.

I have given some thought to changing my order because I am still waiting on a VIN.

I have no data to back me up but I do suspect that the Long Range will have a better resale value.

If I ordered the same MYLR with the induction wheels today, it would cost me $9000 more. Those price rises and the demand for the Long Range have me thinking to just wait this out.

But the looks of the Performance model tempt me every darn day.

Heart wants the performance, head says stick with the Long Range. :)

The rear motors are different, P has 980 motor and LR has 990.
Does 980
I think anyone in this forum could make a case that either has benefits over the other. I guess it all depends on your priorities.

When I ordered my MYLR with induction wheels on Oct 1st 2022, the Performance version made no sense to me.
If I recall this correctly, the performance range was something like 293 vs the MYLR at 330.
The price difference was something like $7000 and the biggest nail in the coffin for the performance for me was the summer tires.
I have owned a couple of cars with summer tires and they are pain in the azz. They never last more than 14,000 miles and on my 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE they did not like temps below 60F.

Then a few things changed.......
Tesla upped the Performance range to 303 and then dropped the range for the MYLR with induction wheels to 318.
The price gap narrowed and best of all, they now fit All season tires.

I have given some thought to changing my order because I am still waiting on a VIN.

I have no data to back me up but I do suspect that the Long Range will have a better resale value.

If I ordered the same MYLR with the induction wheels today, it would cost me $9000 more. Those price rises and the demand for the Long Range have me thinking to just wait this out.

But the looks of the Performance model tempt me every darn day.

Heart wants the performance, head says stick with the Long Range. :)
The P should have better resale still. Not by much mind you anymore.

Last edited: