Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP vs MYLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you were to put 19 or 20” wheels on a performance and put it side by side with a LR with the same wheels you wouldn’t notice the difference. But the 21” wheels plus the lowered suspension make quite the statement.
19" on a P v 20" on an LR.
20211020_210728.jpg

Its a 5k difference, but if you are one who is even contemplating the Model Y Performance, you are also someone who is likely to buy the acceleration boost on a Model Y Long Range, and thats 2k. That means the effective difference is 3k, and the Model YP is still faster off the line, has the red calipers etc. At the cost of a 60+k vehicle, 3k is a fairly insignificant amount.

Said another way, someone contemplating a model Y LR vs a Performance model can likely afford the 5k difference (3k after acceleration boost as I said) either up front, or over the cost of the loan.

This is why my wife has a model Y P we just picked up last week instead of a model Y Long range. Can always swap tires to smaller ones etc, but people in ICE land pay a lot of money for extra speed, and 3k is not much in this price range of vehicle.
Model Y performance easy choice for me. Because I didn't grow up in EV's, this is my first, and I've never bought a car in my life because it could "go 20 extra miles on a full tank". The way people in general look at EV's is so backwards. I've never in my life asked "how far can this car go before it dies on the side of the road?", but that's how we rate EV's. Is this enjoyable to drive? Does my wife/kids fit? Does it fit in the garage? I've never bought a car based on it's range before I'm stranded before, don't know why I'd start now.

Not worth it for me. The MYLR is plenty fast. Faster than most cars on the street. The P may have higher insurance premiums.

Also, paying extra for a stiffer ride, thinner sidewall on tires (potholes), lower stance (i.e., scraping mud flaps), and lower range do not sound appealing.

Finally, the cars look almost the same. If you are paying for the top model, it should stand out? Tesla owners think my MYLR is a P because I have red badges... 🤫

I'm sure most P owners just didn't want to wait the extra 6+ months.

Last edited:
Not worth it for me. The MYLR is plenty fast. Faster than most cars on the street.

Also, paying extra for a stiffer ride, thinner sidewall on tires (potholes), and lower stance (i.e., scraping mud flaps) does not sound appealing.

Finally, the cars look almost the same. If you are paying for the top model, it should stand out? Tesla owners think my MYLR is a P because I have red badges... 🤫

P owners, just admit that you didn't want to wait 6+ months.
Actually, no. I chose MYP because:

1. Different rear motor (stronger/faster i suppose)
2. Better Brakes
3. Factory lowered
4. Matrix Headlights (even those limited functionality, it is still better than regular)
5. I actually like the identical exterior of MYLR and MYP. I don't like to stand out
6. I like the feel and look of 21s with Michelin AS tires.

Actually, no. I chose MYP because:

1. Different rear motor (stronger/faster i suppose)
2. Better Brakes
3. Factory lowered
4. Matrix Headlights (even those limited functionality, it is still better than regular)
5. I actually like the identical exterior of MYLR and MYP. I don't like to stand out
6. I like the feel and look of 21s with Michelin AS tires.

Actually I have 295/275 combo so my sidewalls are increased. I also run at 38 psi which takes care of the little bumps and makes the ride almost like an LR with 19’s. Almost lol.

I love the extra braking, handling, power, lowered stance, spoiler.

When you add in 20” inductions and accel boost for an LR, the price delta is around 2k.
Not worth the LR at that point…range is only 18 miles apart. And you wait how long for an LR?

One could even put 19/20’s on a P and range will increase closer to LR levels.

Reactions: thesmokingman
Threads like this always end up turning into a defense of what you ordered yourself! 😄

I too contemplated MYLR vs MYP when originally placing my order, and then again when Tesla gave us the option to change our config without penalty (meaning didn't have to pay then current prices). The cost difference may be an argument for some, but had no bearing on my decision. I already had the acceleration boost on my M3LR (3.7s) and test drove a MYLR before my delivery date and honestly didn't feel 4.8s was as slow as I thought it would feel in comparison. I also couldn't really tell the difference between my M3LR matrix headlights and the originals on the MYLR, granted the M3 is lower to the ground. Maybe side by side I could, but real world I just couldn't.

It basically came down to longer range (especially taking into account cold weather months) and not wanting to deal with damaged wheels from potholes for me. With that said I love how the MYP wheels, red brake calipers, and lowered height look. I was never a fan of the carbon spoiler and would have definitely removed it. You really can't go wrong with either model to be honest, just get what best fits your needs because it's different for everyone.

Last edited:
I just got my MYP over the weekend. No regret. Ride quality is similar to my M3s and acceptable. Like the look of red brembo and spoiler. Uber turbines look amazing. Love the acceleration. Although I am happy with MP, if the EDD was the same for both P and LR, I would have kept the LR order. I just couldn’t wait til end of this year or next year for LR. I am using my MY for daily commute, 100miles. P’s speed is a bonus but I don’t track or rarely push the car to max. My M3 LR and SR are plenty quick and fast. As a long time EV owner, range is the king. LR would give me a longer range and lower cost of maintenance, especially with replacing tires. On Monday, I picked up a set of Gemini wheels/tires from another member. I plan to replace my P wheels with Gemini in winter and who knows, I may just keep them on.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Many MYP owners simply sell the 21” Ubers and buy a 20” or 19” square option at a mart zero cost. Lighter, even faster than spec and loss of fun across the emigre power band. For 3k diff? 2k if you want an oem spoiler…1.5k if you get your calipers painted.

If you’re one that wants a P style look with your LR and some added ABoost…the P is the way to go and you get the car in 6-8 weeks…not 6-8 months.
That describes me, I also added the Performance Pedals, painted the Gemini wheels black and calipers red and installed a spoiler. By my math I invested over $3K on my 2020 LR AWD, so the $5K delta becomes less than $2K. I also just bought the 18” tire/wheel package from TSportLine for $2800. I’m undecided if I going to sell the 21s for $2500, I have a buyer who wants them as soon as I can remove them.