Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP vs MYLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think you can go wrong with either LR or P. If you plan to add stuffs (uber wheels, paint break calipers, spoilers, pedals, and etc…) to make your LR look more like P then just get a P and save time and money. If you have time to wait, not interested in modifying, and want to save money and energy then go with LR - Gemini. Especially if you plan to keep your MY for several years.

One thing about owning EVs for long term… your battery will degrade and will lose your range. Brand new MYP with 90% charge is giving me 270 miles. In about 5 years, MYP will give me about 240miles or less while LR will be at 270ml range. This will matter when you take long trips and frequent charging stops.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge NASCAR fan and I love watching racing (and participating whenever I get the chance), but isn't the MYLR fast enough? I'm currently driving a M3SR+ and it rarely leaves Chill mode because it's still wicked fast. Granted, there truly are people who take their cars to the track, and I fully support it, but the only other case for getting the P over the LR is the extra "jewelry," i.e. the spoiler, red calipers, Uberturbines, and lower ride. If that's your thing, by all means, get the P.

Personally, I'll take the slower-but-still-crazy-fast LR with smaller wheels, longer-lasting tires, unpainted calipers, and $5K less. But to each his own, and you can't go wrong with any Tesla.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge NASCAR fan and I love watching racing (and participating whenever I get the chance), but isn't the MYLR fast enough? I'm currently driving a M3SR+ and it rarely leaves Chill mode because it's still wicked fast. Granted, there truly are people who take their cars to the track, and I fully support it, but the only other case for getting the P over the LR is the extra "jewelry," i.e. the spoiler, red calipers, Uberturbines, and lower ride. If that's your thing, by all means, get the P.

Personally, I'll take the slower-but-still-crazy-fast LR with smaller wheels, longer-lasting tires, unpainted calipers, and $5K less. But to each his own, and you can't go wrong with any Tesla.
So for me it’s also about the power :)
I love the feel of being smashed back into your chair on occasion as does my 13 yr old son lol.
I’ve had all sorts of Teslas in alll 4 S 3 X Y formats lol. Ranging from P100D MS to 100DX to SR+3, YLR and now 3LRboost and MYP.

I can say this:

Tesla doesn’t make slow cars…you have 3 options: fast, stupid fast, ridiculous fast.

The MYP for me allows the lower suspension stance I find looks better proportioned, better braking, I love the 21”Ubers, the CFibre spoiler ($1000 just this part), and better handling.
It was for me also the price delta between an LRY with 20” induction wheels and boost vs the MYP. No brainer :)

Last edited:
Reactions: nate704 and fstop11
Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge NASCAR fan and I love watching racing (and participating whenever I get the chance), but isn't the MYLR fast enough?
No, it will never be fast enough😈 I wish there was a speed upgrade for my P....

We got the P over LY because for $5k the upgrades plus reduced wait time were worth it. I am considering getting a set of 19"s for winter use, though...

Not worth it for me. The MYLR is plenty fast. Faster than most cars on the street. The P may have higher insurance premiums.

Also, paying extra for a stiffer ride, thinner sidewall on tires (potholes), lower stance (i.e., scraping mud flaps), and lower range do not sound appealing.

Finally, the cars look almost the same. If you are paying for the top model, it should stand out? Tesla owners think my MYLR is a P because I have red badges... 🤫

I'm sure most P owners just didn't want to wait the extra 6+ months.
My insurance company did not differentiate between the Long Range and the Performance. No extra charge for me. Difference in range between Performance vs LR with induction wheels is only 15 miles. No major difference in ride. BIG difference in performance. Performance every day of the week for me.

No, it will never be fast enough😈 I wish there was a speed upgrade for my P....

We got the P over LY because for $5k the upgrades plus reduced wait time were worth it. I am considering getting a set of 19"s for winter use, though...
We already have a 2021 Y LR but one of the points I shared to convince a buddy to go with the P was that, based on his annual mileage, it could actually cost less to buy the P because the extra wait for an LR would cost him $500 a month in gas. Alas, they wanted a 7-seater and have an EDD Dec ‘22 - Feb ‘23 (ordered two months ago).

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
To sum this thread up, if you care about range or need 7 seats, get the MYLR, if you care about performance get the MYP. Rather simple really. The MYLR has more range, less performance and vice versa.

The price gap is so low now... only $4k difference. If you really don't care about performance, that extra $4k is a waste (unless you care about delivery dates). Likewise if you do care about performance, that extra $4k is a bargain for what you get.

in CA here. Ppl can get $2800-3000 for their brand new 21” wheelet.

and I do see ppl selling their stock 19” for 2k ish.

then ur difference is around $3k ish for the P upgrade.

why won’t anyone get the LR and add the acceleration boost for $2k now! Or even consider the 20” induction wheels upgrade to the LR. 🤔🤷‍♂️

My dad has a 2021 MY LR. It’s fine. I had a 2020 Model 3 LR with Accel boost and it was fun to drive. I traded my 3 in for a MYP and it’s the perfect vehicle for me. Capacity of a Y, speed of the Model 3. Handling is somewhere in between the Y LR and Model 3 LR.

Reactions: yellowr6
My dad has a 2021 MY LR. It’s fine. I had a 2020 Model 3 LR with Accel boost and it was fun to drive. I traded my 3 in for a MYP and it’s the perfect vehicle for me. Capacity of a Y, speed of the Model 3. Handling is somewhere in between the Y LR and Model 3 LR.
I have a 22’ M3 LR boost (20” ride) and a new MYP last week. I can say with certainty the M3 handles much better than the heavier Y. Not even in the same realm tbh. But the Y has its virtues are more refined acceleration, better visibility, amazing space.

The 3 is just sheer fun to drive…point and shoot as well as lighter on lateral.

The Y feels heavier and does not execute turns with the same precision…but that’s not what it’s for.
3CA8FD3F-2741-4238-9045-AE5AB7AA360A.jpeg
70E8F000-42B1-4BCA-9927-C81D7FB3B864.jpeg

Reactions: RyanS and yellowr6
So true. M3 is so much fun to drive even without P. MY, not as much. Heavy and a lot of roll. Not sure about more space. Slightly more than M3. I can squeeze more in my MS. I wish M3 came with a hatchback.
Apparently, you don't own MY/MYP which has significantly more space (usable space) than M3 or even MS. M3P 0-60 is 3.5 vs 3.7 for MYP, so it's basically up to the driver's reaction time off the line. Body roll and driving characteristics are all physics. you cannot directly compare a sedan and CUV, but MY/MYP is not cushy or a lot of body roll type cars.
Also, MS and M3 are all hatchbacks technically, but I know what you men by that. =)

Reactions: carpendj