Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP vs MYLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So true. M3 is so much fun to drive even without P. MY, not as much. Heavy and a lot of roll. Not sure about more space. Slightly more than M3. I can squeeze more in my MS. I wish M3 came with a hatchback.
We sold the Model S to get the Y. Although the S has a wider trunk and subtrunk, we’re able to stuff more into the Y on road trips.

The Y has a more comfortable and spacious backseat than the S, with a deeper frunk and sub trunk, and also a little extra space in the middle subtrunk (unless you get the 7-seater). The S is the most beautiful but I dare say I love the Y more for our family needs. The 3 is too small as a sole family EV. I wouldn’t mind getting a 3P for myself but that’s only because we have the Y LR for all other duties.

I was chatting up a Rivian owner a few weeks ago at a Supercharger location and he’s had every Tesla model since 2013 (well, maybe not the roadster), and he was of the mind that the Y is the best all-around Tesla at the moment. I am inclined to agree. I am smitten by the FWD on the X but it’s also the least efficient Tesla and big on the outside yet small on the inside. The Y is really well packaged, good size, comfortable, and more than decent performance (and an incredible value back when we ordered in May 2021).

Last edited:
Reactions: rjpjnk and yellowr6
I've owned the MS, driven the MX, and currently have a M3LR and MYP.

Given the current price difference of $4k, choosing the MYP is a no brainer. Since the suspension changes in 2022, the MYP is a fairly compliant ride for a daily driver, and the range on the MY is so low that difference between P and LR isn't going to be huge. Plus it's so much fun to get on the accelerator!

For the M3 it's kind of a different question as the acceleration of the LR is already very good and strong, the extra range is more of a difference, and the price difference is bigger. To me, the acceleration of the MYP and M3LR feels roughly similar in strength given the different sizes and weights.

Of course, everything depends on your situation, and how you plan to use it. Best answer is to drive both, and then decide!

so I lived nearby a Tesla delivery center, its near to target. I sometime pull into their lot to get to target. Did so yesterday. All I see is MYP in the lot. Didn't spot a single LR.

And I been seeing a lot of mew Y with new dealer paper plate in the SF Bay Area. Guess what, majority of them are MYP!

I think Tesla did their pricing on purpose and also with wait time, its a no brainer to just pay up for the P over the LR. IMO

Have you had a chance to test drive both these cars? I think the differences pointed out here will be easy to notice: the acceleration zip v/s the slightly bumpier ride v/s the "standout" red brakes.

Personally when we reserved our we chose MYLR because I was never going to (be allowed by family) use the "performance" features :)

On one more thing, until few months ago, the wait times for MYP were significantly shorter than MYLR (almost by half); not sure if that is still the case?
Still the case. And we are giving up a six seat Kia telluride for the 5 seat Y. The seven seat Y just didn’t make sense. All three seats in second row of Y gave me (5’11”) ample leg room with the front seat set at my driving position. For the amount of times that the whole family is in the car together, it’s well worth giving up the third row and second row captains chairs to gain performance and no gas! 0-60 in less than 4 seconds in an almost 6000lb vehicle just blows my mind as well. Very excited for delivery. EDD Aug 22-Oct 2. Will be grateful if it arrives in September.

I'm kinda in that predicament sorta kinda......

I have an incoming Y, blue with the 20s for Oct.

Currently Tesla is allowing me to upgrade to the Performance based on pricing back in winter. Turns out to be like $70 more a month on a loan (96), but I planned on dumping it in 3-4yrs for the unicorn Cybertruck so not sure if it's worth it as resale for MYP might be a lot tougher.

Thoughts?

My Pricing in Canadian dollars:

LR: $80,780 (blue/black rims)
P: $87,190 (blue)

Last edited:
Wanted a new Y given all the updates, so I traded my 2020 LR AWD Y for a PMY. Given I added the following to my LR AWD, a P was an easy decision:

Performance Boost: $2K
Rear CF spoiler: $500
Performance Pedals: $50
Painted Gemini wheels black: $400
Painted calipers red: $200
Total: $3150

I did order some 18” tires/wheels from TSportLine for $2600 (should recover most of the lost range, gain some performance, rotate tires, cheaper replacement down the road, better ride and less fear of curbs and potholes and I prefer the look of more sidewalk than the rubber bands so trendy today. This is an CUV not a sports car. I also have several folks interested in buying my OEM 21s for $2500 so I could only be out $100.

Now having driven the new P for 286 miles here in IL I can say how surprised I am over the ride and feel of the P’s suspension. It feels better than my 2020 LR AWD Y. I could easily live with them if they didn’t come with all the other downsides. So the 18s will probably ride amazing.

Oh and it was 106 days from order to delivery.

Wanted a new Y given all the updates, so I traded my 2020 LR AWD Y for a PMY. Given I added the following to my LR AWD, a P was an easy decision:

Performance Boost: $2K
Rear CF spoiler: $500
Performance Pedals: $50
Painted Gemini wheels black: $400
Painted calipers red: $200
Total: $3150

I did order some 18” tires/wheels from TSportLine for $2600 (should recover most of the lost range, gain some performance, rotate tires, cheaper replacement down the road, better ride and less fear of curbs and potholes and I prefer the look of more sidewalk than the rubber bands so trendy today. This is an CUV not a sports car. I also have several folks interested in buying my OEM 21s for $2500 so I could only be out $100.

Now having driven the new P for 286 miles here in IL I can say how surprised I am over the ride and feel of the P’s suspension. It feels better than my 2020 LR AWD Y. I could easily live with them if they didn’t come with all the other downsides. So the 18s will probably ride amazing.

Oh and it was 106 days from order to delivery.
Will you be able to fit the 18”s over the brake calipers of the MYP?

Go MYP.
Exhilarating!
You won't regret it!.
Great resale!.
Well worth the difference!.

Attachments

• 20220622_094346.jpg
    20220622_094346.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Mud Flap on all Paws.jpg
    Mud Flap on all Paws.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 65
  • PPF Front minus duck bill. jpg.jpg
    PPF Front minus duck bill. jpg.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: TechOps
I just wanted a daily driver so I opted for MYLR with 19” Gemini wheels. I have no regrets and love it. It’s plenty enough for me. Also I think replacement tires and wheels are cheaper.

Having said that, everyone else around me wishes it were a MYP because “if the LR is this much fun, I wonder how much better the P is!”

How much higher is MYP insurance compared to MYLR?

I drove 30k miles on my first 2020 LR Y with AB. Super fun, coming from riding motorcycles for 20 years. My daily commute was a Prius. Enjoy every singe miles On the LR. Sold it and upgraded to the 22 MYP, took advantage of the used market. Put in 10k so far, enjoy every single miles more than the LR! 😁

oh yea. Insurance. I’m in CA. LR was $95 ish per month from statefarm. Paying $103 for the P. Full Coverage, 100/100/300. Or was it 100/300/300. Wife deal with insuranc, I just pay. Lol

talk to ur agent first. I tried tesla insurance too but quoted $140 a month. 😡