Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 (NF VINs) build quality discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a MF plaid at the MB stealership in Van Nuys, CA.

White, black, 19"s. 69 miles. Maybe Elon should buy it.

Minor yoke worm, frunk misalignment, drivers door lower edge does not match. passenger door.

No wrinkles, no mismatched trim, no paint issues seen.

I have under 200 miles. No vibration. What do you mean by vibration?
There are several threads, including this one. Just search on “plaid vibration,” but know it applies to LRs as well.

320FCD8A-8AF3-45D5-A036-946CA7269A5B.jpeg
For what it's worth, I have noticed no flaws whatsoever in my 2022 Tesla Model S. I haven't gone looking for flaws. But I did look at the paint when I received the car and saw no blemishes.
How about them swirls on a brand new car? This is the least of it. Couple of actual dents and plenty of scratches. Dust under the clear coat. One large piece of debris under the clear. Needs a total respray to be done right. Most people probably wouldn’t notice.

The major differences between MF and NF are as follows:

1.) When creating the VIN plate, they typed the letter “N” instead of “M” for the template. There were cheers all around.

2.) See 1.).

Technically.... The 2022 LR is now just a "Model S"
How about them swirls on a brand new car? This is the least of it. Couple of actual dents and plenty of scratches. Dust under the clear coat. One large piece of debris under the clear. Needs a total respray to be done right. Most people probably wouldn’t notice.
That is horrific. I would absolutely refuse delivery. That said, I would bet that this is the fault of the delivery center. In my BMW days (you would think I'd have learned my lesson) I would tell my SA and put a sheet of paper on the dash "PLEASE DO NOT WASH". They washed it anyway, I caught the guy doing it, stuck my hand in his wash bucket and there was no joke 4" of dirt/sand/debris in the bottom. He would clearly just refill it when it got low. It was shocking. They offered to have the same guy do a free wax - I declined

363AA9F3-E809-4C57-96CA-74C467CFD868.jpeg
Probably was the service center. But I’ll never know. There is also obvious sloppy paint touch up for a door ding.

The worst is this piece of dirt that’s deep underneath the clearcoat where I’ll never be able to get it out. Bugs the 💩out of me since I know it’s there. I’d ask Tesla to repaint it but they’ll probably make it worse.

Reactions: jebinc

Compare with a 3 year old MB...I can't believe that was just do to cleaning. Maybe something came loose in transport?

I would def opt out of arbitration and take them to court.

Attachments

• 16383249136375191753617137289612.jpg
    16383249136375191753617137289612.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: AMPd and oktane
Compare with a 3 year old MB...I can't believe that was just do to cleaning. Maybe something came loose in transport?

I would def opt out of arbitration and take them to court.
My paint has swirls like that all over. It’s just typical Tesla terrible paint. The paint is really soft and many of the people that work there have no clue about cars.

I’m hoping it will polish out and not be noticeable after that.

Not a bad idea to opt out of arbitration though just in general.

Reactions: aerodyne
My paint has swirls like that all over. It’s just typical Tesla terrible paint. The paint is really soft and many of the people that work there have no clue about cars.

I’m hoping it will polish out and not be noticeable after that.

Not a bad idea to opt out of arbitration though just in general.
@oktane Sorry to hear about your build quality issues; be thankful you don't have the dreaded vibration (yet).

Issues I've lined up for my service appointment tomorrow on an NF460:
  • Sub-woofer not working at all, ever
  • Edges of rubber frunk surround prutrude up into the (normal) gap between hood and quarter panel (both sides)
  • Underspray on driver side around door hinges (not visible at all when door closed)

I'm going to suggest checking the sound quality and specifically sub-woofer in the WIki/checklist thread, I followed that during pickup/delivery but the only related check is for connectivity of phone, streaming services, and radio. Edit: There is a general audio check in section C that I forgot (I have it checked off), but it doesn't mention the subwoofer and it didn't occur to me at the time to check it.

It seems like (early observation) that there is nothing that magically changed between MF and NF and still reports from both camps of good and bad. Sometimes I wonder if it boils down in many cases to the SC and how much time and care they put into the prep. I give full credit to the Kitchener, Ontario team for caring about the condition they delivered my LR in as it was near flawless. The paint was flawless. I had a couple of snags that they jumped on and they have been excellent to work with. I think a ton of issues can be resolved during the PDI at the SC and so many stories of great SCs and terrible ones. It’s still a coin flip being it MF or NF.

Issues I've lined up for my service appointment tomorrow on an NF460:
  • Sub-woofer not working at all, ever
  • Edges of rubber frunk surround prutrude up into the (normal) gap between hood and quarter panel (both sides)
  • Underspray on driver side around door hinges (not visible at all when door closed)

I'm going to suggest checking the sound quality and specifically sub-woofer in the WIki/checklist thread, I followed that during pickup/delivery but the only related check is for connectivity of phone, streaming services, and radio. Edit: There is a general audio check in section C that I forgot (I have it checked off), but it doesn't mention the subwoofer and it didn't occur to me at the time to check it.
Curious to hear what they say or do about your frunk rubber issue. As I have the same issue with mine (NF463). It makes the frunk hard to close. I have a service appointment on the 11th for this.