Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 (NF VINs) build quality discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to hear what they say or do about your frunk rubber issue. As I have the same issue with mine (NF463). It makes the frunk hard to close. I have a service appointment on the 11th for this.
When I dropped it off today, the SA mentioned that they "have no standard for that" but they'd look into it. 🤷‍♂️ It isn't so bad as to keep the hood from closing or anything, and I could live with it as is, but it's disappointing to feel interior trim when you run your fingers over the outside of the closed hood. I confess that since the SA at delivery said I should refer it to a service center, I didn't poke at it myself - no idea if it might be a simple fix.

Turns out I forgot to report the underspray in the door jamb, as I couldn't get a picture of it when I was thinking about it. (Raining/overcast/dark, or parked where I couldn't open the door wide enough.) 😰

FYI: I got automated requests to reschedule if my issues weren't urgent via the app, but then also got queries or updates immediately before or after them. I asked in the app if they wanted me to reschedule, but never got a response (except another automated message the morning I dropped it off). When I dropped it off today I was told it would be ready the following afternoon (10AM Jan 6 -> ~4PM Jan 7). Later today I received a message via the app that the work had been rescheduled to next week, estimated completion by the afternoon of Tuesday, Jan 11th. YMMV.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
My mobile service visit for the Frunk gasket issue is on Tuesday… will see how that goes. I seems like the size of the Frunk plastic side cover is too large in my opinion and needs to be replaced.

They just asked me to upload a picture which I did.

1641564955926.jpeg

My mobile service visit for the Frunk gasket issue is on Tuesday… will see how that goes. I seems like the size of the Frunk plastic side cover is too large in my opinion and needs to be replaced.

View attachment 752975
Exact same issue, but after SC fixed it on delivery the frunk was misaligned. There is a larger gap on the driver side than the passenger side. The mobile service tech came out and tried to fix it by adjusting the quarter panel to compensate which caused the quarter panel to not align with the rest of the car. I also have a misaligned front passenger door as well. Mobile tech said, the car will need to be set down at the SC to adjust it some more with more techs to help.

He scheduled me a service appointment in two weeks, at this point I'm hoping they don't make it worst or fix the alignment only to have it misaligned somewhere else.

• Informative
Reactions: Robotpedlr
I have a NF supposedly a Nov build.
Had the major rear drive unit and inverter replaced after less than fifty miles and two hours from taking delivery. Got the assisted steering disabled requiring more effort to steer fault twice then went away which according to SC was a software glitch. Very minor air bag worm. Just today I found that rear black plastic that ends in the middle of the rear taillights has pulled out on the right end of it and needs to be glued back in.
In general you can tell compared to the Bmw I had the quality of everything is much less in the tesla. Definitely the technology the speed torque handling are amazing and I would never give up the MS for anything else but in general the hardware is much less quality and cheap. Typical of difference of American versus German car build. I found the sound system to be better in the bmw. The automatic windshield wiper. The way the doors close.
That’s for now for the first 500 miles. Will revisit at the 1000 miles mark hopefully with no more problems.

When I dropped it off today, the SA mentioned that they "have no standard for that" (frunk surround sticking out) but they'd look into it. 🤷‍♂️ It isn't so bad as to keep the hood from closing or anything, and I could live with it as is, but...

Picked the car up yesterday, ~15 minutes before closing as they notified me it was ready a day early and I didn't want to leave it there another night. Everybody I talked to was very nice, courteous, etc. No complaints on that front.

I can confirm that they did open the frunk, because I happened to have the mobile app open at one point on Monday, and I noticed the wheels animated for a bit, then it stopped and the driver's door opened, then the frunk did. Kind of trippy to "spy" on your car at the service center... 👀

But there was really no difference when I looked over the car, the plastic surround is still sticking up into the gap between the hood and quarter panels, and just above it for a few inches at the front where the hood slopes down and inward. The phrase "there's no standard for this" was repeated when I noted it was still there. But I haven't opened to frunk yet to put the mobile charger back, let alone look for the standoffs that @Proppilot mentioned.

On the subwoofer -- they said it was working for them. Well, okay... I played with the settings in the parking lot, and realized I hadn't tried taking all the other EQ bands to their negative limit, then move the subwoofer slider to see if I could hear a difference. I noticed that if you put the sub at maximum negative on the slider, the label will switch to "Mute." TIL... 🔇

Well, I'm now convinced the sub is connected, but there seems to be so little difference in sound quality when it's maxed out at +6.0 versus 0.0, I have to wonder why they included it. I could tell something was pushing the air a little somewhere, but you had to pay pretty close attention. [I was using Yes' Yours is No Disgrace, I've Seen All Good People, and Roundabout to test. Maybe I need to go straight for the 1812 Overture...]

I'm still tickled to have the car, this hasn't put me off the brand or the products. But I would have liked to have had the kind of satisfying experience that would leave me an insufferable fanboi, and that isn't happening at this point either. 🤷‍♂️

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Oh - I mentioned the underspray to the SA when I picked up my car. Again, very nice, but he basically said that if it's out of sight from outside the car, and the undercoat is intact, they won't do anything about it.

TBH I didn't expect them to - they'd have to remove the door, hinges, etc to respray there, and that seemed pretty unlikely. Similar story for the bit of the inside of the driver front quarter panel, to hit the small section you can only see when the frunk is open.

• Informative
@smjones shoot, I was hoping to hear they had a fix for that liner sticking up between the hood and fender near the headlight. I have mobile service scheduled for tomorrow to come out and look at mine. Will let you know if they say the same. Adjusting the mounting stops on the hood does nothing as that is how low the hit sits, the rubber lip on the frunk side cover is just too big in my opinion or incorrectly positioned too far towards the fender.

@smjones if you are comfortable with a bit of plastic modification work, just pull the frunk line up/open on the side that is sticking up and you will see (three I believe) plastic standoffs that keep it in place. One end slides into a fitting on the frunk liner and the other end snaps to the metal frame of the car. My SC fixed the problem and I have not pulled it open to see what they did however, I think it would be very easy to shorten the length of a standoff or two ( IE cut 1/4 to 1/2" off (I would do 1/4" first). That will cut off the top that slides into the fitting on the frunk liner but I think a thin file and reshape what is left to do the job. I know....it is nuts to have to do this on a > 100k car however I am never deterred and that is what I was going to do if it came back still sitting too high. Even a bit more creativity and one could probably find a shorter length version of what is there at a store. FWIW

@smjones if you are comfortable with a bit of plastic modification work, just pull the frunk line up/open on the side that is sticking up and you will see (three I believe) plastic standoffs that keep it in place. One end slides into a fitting on the frunk liner and the other end snaps to the metal frame of the car. My SC fixed the problem and I have not pulled it open to see what they did however, I think it would be very easy to shorten the length of a standoff or two ( IE cut 1/4 to 1/2" off (I would do 1/4" first). That will cut off the top that slides into the fitting on the frunk liner but I think a thin file and reshape what is left to do the job. I know....it is nuts to have to do this on a > 100k car however I am never deterred and that is what I was going to do if it came back still sitting too high. Even a bit more creativity and one could probably find a shorter length version of what is there at a store. FWIW
Come on man... pull it out and take some pics of what he did to correct it! This is a team sport. lol

View attachment 752975
I noticed this the day I picked up my car. I also saw it on other new Model S in the lot. I suspect this is really common, if not ubiquitous among the refresh.

Similar to the conversation above, I had frunk alignment issues in my otherwise very acceptable 22 S. Mine was one of the early one as it’s NF 453.

I took my vehicle for PPV and when I picked it up, they told me the left front fender was “loose”. They said they didn’t have the right tools to fix it so they hand tightened as best they could.

Tesla service told me that while they didn’t see the front fender as “loose”, they found that both front fenders were misaligned. They corrected that and were able to realign the frunk so it is close to perfectly fit, front to back and side to side.

On a side note, Tesla tried to tell me they were too busy to do my service in lees than 3-5 days but wouldn’t t provide a date when they could do this service in one day. My response was since I had my appointment for 3 weeks to guarantee the work could be done in a timely manner, I kept the appointment. The car was taken in and kept overnight and fixed the following day.

Reactions: Proppilot
Updating. About 1200 miles.
Recent issues: the rear right rattle coming from the rear back seat hatch. Confirmed it by lowering rear seats down and rattle went away. Other threads recommended using some tape in the harness or hook will try that later or simply get used to it. I sometimes get unexplained rattles or squeaks from front dash.
When on insane and accelerate really hard I started getting the famous shudder from the half shaft Thing. Only when on insane. Hard accelerating on sport didn’t produce it. I am not planning on addressing that yet.