Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 plaid. Chill vs sport vs plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 plaid. Chill vs sport vs plaid

Assuming your driving the same way with out speeding, just driving normal. Does driving the car is plaid mode consume more battery vs driving in sport or chill mode?
It should be about the same. Getting a 5,500 lb brick to 80 mph, takes the same amount energy, regardless of how long it takes to get to that speed. Some drivers do not have a very steady foot, so it might be easier for them to drive smoothly if in Chill.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Anyone else have any more feedback on this? A few months ago I did a road trip. On the way there, I used a lot of chill mode on the highway. On the way back, I used Plaid. Same speed both ways. The return trip seemed to use a lot more battery. HOWEVER, it was very windy, with tons of headwind, on the way back, which may have been the reason.

Given the same speed and conditions, is the energy consumption similar?

Should be the same unless you use more than the 225kw or whatever Chill allows, then you're generating moderately more waste heat and/or throwing away energy spinning and then braking a wheel when traction control engages. Don't think it starts any of the extra thermal management stuff unless you engage launch/drag strip modes

Anyone else have any more feedback on this? A few months ago I did a road trip. On the way there, I used a lot of chill mode on the highway. On the way back, I used Plaid. Same speed both ways. The return trip seemed to use a lot more battery. HOWEVER, it was very windy, with tons of headwind, on the way back, which may have been the reason.

Given the same speed and conditions, is the energy consumption similar?
From physics standpoint resistance is square of current. I’m pretty sure chill chill mode must be slightly efficient than any other modes.
From my data standpoints (teslamate), just normal commute in plaid (i always use it) very ragged in terms of power, whereas in chill power is topped at 200kw.
I did not do full measurements because driving in chill is frustrating;)