Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Plaid update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla unveiled a Model S in Taiwan today with those items. This is according to an article which I've seen via electrek which I believe is based upon a post on Facebook which I believe originates out of that region.

Note that the CCS port is likely driven by potentially global charging standards in that region, similar to Tesla having introduced it in Europe. I wouldn't infer from that Telsa will be introducing CCS in the US. That will be a very big step for them to take due to the extent to the install supercharger base here and the issues with plug compatibility.

Here's link to the electrek on-line article.

Reactions: LI Plaid
The bigger question is can we retrofit those headlights!
Highly doubtful. Very likely different wiring and different programming. Cars, even ICE ones, have codes for hardware options so that the software knows how to deal with them.

One way to tell will be. Are the new head-lights a new part number or a new revision. A new revision would imply they can drop in replace the old ones. Unlikely.

Reactions: DukeofURL
The bigger question is can we retrofit those headlights!
They look to be the same shape, so they could fit in the same space BUT they may have changed the wiring harness. If they did not change the wiring harness, it's likely there are software changes behind the scene and I'm not so sure the code auto-detects. As @mswlogo points out, if it's a revision it's likely a drop in, a new part number MAY be retrofittable, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

Hmmm, I just ordered a Plaid last weekend, and now I'm thinking it's easily worth the cancel fee to ensure it shows up with the updates. I'm not in a rush for it. Maybe I'll wait a couple weeks and see what pans out. Does anybody know if you can cancel after receiving your VIN?

Hmmm, I just ordered a Plaid last weekend, and now I'm thinking it's easily worth the cancel fee to ensure it shows up with the updates. I'm not in a rush for it. Maybe I'll wait a couple weeks and see what pans out. Does anybody know if you can cancel after receiving your VIN?
Just have them put your order on hold if you want. They should be able to do that for a month or more... better than cancelling.

They look to be the same shape, so they could fit in the same space BUT they may have changed the wiring harness. If they did not change the wiring harness, it's likely there are software changes behind the scene and I'm not so sure the code auto-detects. As @mswlogo points out, if it's a revision it's likely a drop in, a new part number MAY be retrofittable, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.
I would absolutely not assume this will be retrofittable. Software alone would dictate near no chance just because Tesla has no reason to, and because their service centers are absolutely swamped. They simply don't have the capability to deal with this sort of thing at the moment.

Just have them put your order on hold if you want. They should be able to do that for a month or more... better than cancelling.
I delayed my order on Friday (it was supposed to pick it up on 1/10). l already had the VIN(and have already paid for the car), but it wasn't a problem. I'm really hoping this happens soon. I have seen photos of a lot of S/X in a grass parking lot in Fremont so maybe they are clearing out the old inventory and then will switch over. The Model S refresh could also be a footnote during the earnings call.

I delayed my order on Friday (it was supposed to pick it up on 1/10). l already had the VIN(and have already paid for the car), but it wasn't a problem. I'm really hoping this happens soon. I have seen photos of a lot of S/X in a grass parking lot in Fremont so maybe they are clearing out the old inventory and then will switch over. The Model S refresh could also be a footnote during the earnings call.
My guess is that the updated lights will be for export initially.

Reactions: Evee