Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Prius Prime or another Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We sold our Ford Flex last year and have been living with one car (2018 M3) for the past 11 months. We're now ready to buy another car, and my wife's got a 2022 Prius Prime XLE on order. I was running numbers and given the market adjustment of about $4k, the Model 3 Standard is only $10k more, so I'm working to get her on board with another Tesla. The Prius still has a $4,500 federal tax credit, but other than gas/electric, is there anything I'm missing on cost of ownership that I can use to sway her? As it looks now, the monthly difference assuming 10 years of ownership is $86 less a month less to own the Prius Prime. We've already got one Tesla and I'm still in love after over 3 years, so her argument is that we've already got a Tesla, she wants something different.

Thanks for the input.

The Prius is a fantastically efficient long-haul commuter, the 3SR is not.
The Model 3 is a sexy, sporty, futuristic sedan. The Prius is not.
Cargo, tech, environment, price, I could go on with the comparisons but really these two cars are different in almost every way.

Maybe you should consider a Nissan Leaf. It's at the low end of your price range and vastly more cargo-capable than the Tesla or even the Prius. It's comparable in tech, features, and styling to the Prius without all the clunkiness of an old-fashioned piston engine. It sounds like her commute is short and your Tesla can handle the road trips so a short-range EV like the Leaf might be optimal.

Reactions: Yurand and XPsionic
We sold our Ford Flex last year and have been living with one car (2018 M3) for the past 11 months. We're now ready to buy another car, and my wife's got a 2022 Prius Prime XLE on order. I was running numbers and given the market adjustment of about $4k, the Model 3 Standard is only $10k more, so I'm working to get her on board with another Tesla. The Prius still has a $4,500 federal tax credit, but other than gas/electric, is there anything I'm missing on cost of ownership that I can use to sway her? As it looks now, the monthly difference assuming 10 years of ownership is $86 less a month less to own the Prius Prime. We've already got one Tesla and I'm still in love after over 3 years, so her argument is that we've already got a Tesla, she wants something different.

Thanks for the input.
I have one of each as well. As much as I love my Model 3, I also love the much greater range of the Prius when I have a long trip to make.

Reactions: XPsionic
@Brea_3 I partly agree with your wife - variety is the spice of life, why have two of the same car? Switching between two contrasting things can help you appreciate the uniquely good aspects of each, and also provide unique utility. (This applies to more than just cars.)

The problem here is I'd find it very difficult to appreciate much about a Prius after switching from a Model 3. 😂 Well, I'd appreciate the liftgate/hatchback opening for sure, but that's about it. Any Model 3 is a way, way more fun and satisfying to drive than any Prius I've ever driven. And lots of cars have a liftgate/hatchback while being more fun to drive than a Prius. Including many BEVs.

A Prius is a great, economical transportation appliance. It's just utterly boring to drive. What are your and your wife's priorities?

Just as important, will you two be sharing both cars, or will you have his & hers cars? If the new car will just be hers, let her get what she wants, whether that be a Prius, her own Model 3, or something else entirely. Now if you're going to really share these cars, then I say get something different than another Model 3...but there's a lot of cars I'd pick before a Prius personally. I'd also much rather have a BEV, even a non-Tesla one, than a PHEV. That's just me and my preferences though. 🙂

Reactions: XPsionic
Maybe I'm a bit late into this thread, but I'd say stick with another Model 3. I've just driven a rental Prius that's under a month old, and I can't wait to return it back to Avis. It's like getting a loner classic Blackberry phone (with a physical keyboard) after you use a latest iPhone everyday.

Don't persuade yourself with the "need variety" argument. This argument only works when the alternatives are comparable. Are people picking varieties when being offered iPhones and Blackberries?

Whatever your budget allows you to afford. No wrong answer to this one. The only difference really is if you daily charge commute mileage is less than the battery capacity of a Prime, then it would be fine. But also consider that two different types of maintenance you will have to perform with each car.

Can you buy a Prius Prime?

I have a neighbor across the street that has had an order in for six months and it looks like he'll never get it. The Prime, I was told, is made only in Japan and the cars are not coming across to the U.S.