Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in the M3LR Waiting room, but wanted to update with another datapoint for this thread, since I was one of the original few posters when this news broke. Got assigned a vin just now- older # which is odd/interesting - 2364XX. I texted the SA number and they said they “reviewed this vehicle and believe it has the matrix headlights”. I asked two follow up questions, asking what the build date was and why the older vin number, whether it was rejected or affected by the charge port. Response back was that ‘the build month was 4/2022 but don't have visibility to anything beyond that.’. So most likely either a charge port affected car, which would be no big deal if fixed, or a rejected car, which if that is the case would be possibly a bummer and will need to look it over closely, which i was planning on doing regardless. . .
Final update- For those that may not have seen my final post on the M3LR forum yesterday, Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room we picked up our M3LR which had the slightly older Vin 236,4XX and older build date. Happy to report that it HAS the matrix headlights, and all is well for us! We took it for a night drive last night, and it is INSANE. THe lights are by far the best lights I have ever had on a car, and as mentioned earlier in this forum, with my medical situation with degraded night vision, they are a game changer. My brother has an older M3 with the standard headlights, and they are very good too, dont get me wrong, but the matrix lights are next level.

I thought it was interesting that when I got the call from the PDX SC to move up my pickup appt, I asked the guy about the headlights. he told me he couldn’t see that from where he was, but that “all M3s come with them”. I just laughed, either he is living under a rock, or isnt being honest, since if you saw my earlier posts on this thread, I was the one that alerted PDX to the fact that this is happening and they confirmed it (begrudgingly). And proof was in the pudding, after I took a walk around the lot after our pick up was complete, found a M3 with VIN 240,108 that is sitting there with a group of others waiting for charge port pieces, that had the old style lights. So if you are doing PDX pickup in the next few weeks and get assigned this vin number, dont take it if you want the matrix lights.

So all is well that ends well for me, good luck to the rest of you!! Pics below are my lights, good to go, then a pic of the vin that i found in the lot, which 3rd pick is showing that car, same spec as mine, but with the non matrix headlights, most likely waiting for charge port parts. Whew, dodged a bullet there ;-)

741D7702-EF74-4A0A-8C43-3312CE5AA072.jpeg

0280CE3B-E9D6-4C55-A128-FB58DCDB80B7.jpeg

501190B1-2FAF-4029-B758-CFC66008634C.jpeg

I'm picking up tomorrow, went to the lot today and looked at the car. VIN is 236xxx, build date was 4/24 and it does NOT have the new headlights. It also DID have the charging port delay, so that tracks with what others are seeing - apparently when one part is short, multiple are. I'm not super concerned about it though and will accept it. I ordered in 2021 and 2021s didn't include rear heated seats, and LFP batteries were a little iffy - that was my main reason for not taking a 2021 when I was offered a VIN in November 2021. Something else new will come out in a month or two, and I'll wish I had waited on that too.

I'll be good as long as they align the driver side door better (from straight on it looks fine, but standing at the back of the car, the bottom of the door is too far in, so you can see into the front quarter panel). Most people won't notice it, but I always would. I'm more concerned about that. Good luck everyone who is waiting on theirs!

Reactions: jpaychek
I should be picking mine up next Tues. One of the SA's I spoke to looked up my build via the vin (257xxx) and was quite confident mine had the matrix headlights. While another SA said they don't have that information and some builds are coming with one or the other. So at this point i'll take what they say with a grain of salt and hope for the best when I pick the car up.

Reactions: jpaychek
Reports on Reddit of 259xxx and 260xxx VINs coming with old lights again 😔
unfortunatelly, i'm here to confirm our's with vin 259xxx no matrix lights. Not too concerned about it actually, but just curious how much of a hassle it would be to just install myself. Lights themselves doesn't seem that crazy expensive. According to our rep, ours has all the new bells and whistles besides the lights.