Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're only one comment away from unlocking your signature! Out of curiosity, what was the actual timeframe from removing the hold and a new VIN assigned? I am in a hold right now until my vacation next week, which just so happens to line up with the Illinois EV rebate starting. Trying to decide if I should remove the hold while on vacation to speed things up, or if I play it safe and wait until the end.
I actually have the same dilemma and question. I had an ED 6/20-7/4. I was up one morning reading thru this forum and discovered your post @Originalando about the IL EV rebate which I couldn’t believe. This was 6/15. So what happens that eve? I get the text to schedule my pick up lol
i eventually went to Tesla sc and chatted with the manager. Needless to say I put the delivery on hold. Now the question is when to go back and take this off hold? Is your still on hold or have you given it a try to see if now is a good time since we are a few days out from 7/1?

I actually have the same dilemma and question. I had an ED 6/20-7/4. I was up one morning reading thru this forum and discovered your post @Originalando about the IL EV rebate which I couldn’t believe. This was 6/15. So what happens that eve? I get the text to schedule my pick up lol
i eventually went to Tesla sc and chatted with the manager. Needless to say I put the delivery on hold. Now the question is when to go back and take this off hold? Is your still on hold or have you given it a try to see if now is a good time since we are a few days out from 7/1?
Glad to hear I helped someone save some money!

I haven't removed my hold yet as I will be on vacation the following week and out of town. I don't want to risk the remote chance of one being available right away and them cancelling my order if I can't take delivery. I am not sure how many times you can reject a car or put a hold on your account, or if the hold limit is based off total number of days instead of number of times you activate it. I plan to remove the hold on 6/29 as i know they always provide 3+ days for pick up windows and I will be back in town in time.

Glad to hear I helped someone save some money!

I haven't removed my hold yet as I will be on vacation the following week and out of town. I don't want to risk the remote chance of one being available right away and them cancelling my order if I can't take delivery. I am not sure how many times you can reject a car or put a hold on your account, or if the hold limit is based off total number of days instead of number of times you activate it. I plan to remove the hold on 6/29 as i know they always provide 3+ days for pick up windows and I will be back in town in time.
You most certainly did! I was told by the SA you get one time to place on hold before Tesla completely cx. I was going to go about it the same way, give it until 6/29 or 6/30 then remove the hold. Hopefully the new date doesn’t come back with something crazy long like late August. SA did mention that the name gets moved back up the list and is matched when the config becomes available and he didn’t think it would take long. He stated this was bc the color/config I selected has been the most popular he’s seen at that location and he’s expecting a good volume to come in soon after 7/1. Guess we shall see.

Reactions: Originalando
What’s in this matrix LED design that has everyone refusing the reflectors? Tesla doesn’t even have adaptive lighting (or Sirius XM, ventilated seats, or Homelink from the factory stuff that is on lower tier Fords)
For me its a matter of I paid for it so I want it. The matrix lamps are more expensive headlamps than the reflectors. I have paid their increased price and I refuse to be jibbed for no apparent reason. If they offered me a reduced price it would be a different story. The fact that some people get them and others not is really what gets me going though. Am I some kind of a second class customer, unworthy of the objectively more expensive and theoretically more advanced headlamps? I also somewhat expect tesla to implement adaptive lighting during the term of my ownership of this vehicle. However, even if they don't, I have paid Tesla for a car with more aesthetically pleasing headlamps that project "tesla" when the car plays a silly song. I insist that they will deliver me that. I already have two model 3's without the matrix headlamps, without the matrix lamps, a barely justifiable upgrade becomes even less justifiable.

For me its a matter of I paid for it so I want it. The matrix lamps are more expensive headlamps than the reflectors. I have paid their increased price and I refuse to be jibbed for no apparent reason. If they offered me a reduced price it would be a different story. The fact that some people get them and others not is really what gets me going though. Am I some kind of a second class customer, unworthy of the objectively more expensive and theoretically more advanced headlamps? I also somewhat expect tesla to implement adaptive lighting during the term of my ownership of this vehicle. However, even if they don't, I have paid Tesla for a car with more aesthetically pleasing headlamps that project "tesla" when the car plays a silly song. I insist that they will deliver me that. I already have two model 3's without the matrix headlamps, without the matrix lamps, a barely justifiable upgrade becomes even less justifiable.

Ok, so it's more a matter of principle and promised value. Got it! It would have been nice for Tesla to include adaptive. Maybe it is a future software upgrade?

Personally, I'd rather have 24 feet of additional lighting output straight ahead, and more high beam lighting straight ahead as well and that's from working on LED headlight development professionally.

Tesla tried to deliver me a LR with a VIN in 297XXX range which has the old reflector lights. Refused delivery weighting for reassignment, I guess. This blows, already had a 2018 with the old lights and this was one of the main reasons for an upgrade. Will be very irritated if the next one doesn't have them.
Update: I have a new VIN (300XXX) 24 hours later which Tesla tells me has the correct headlights. I guess we will see. This is my 5th Tesla delivery and this experience has been every ounce as terrible as the last 4. I've purchased base model FIATs and been treated leagues better. I never want another ICE vehicle but I think I am done with Tesla, every service or delivery appointment is always a white knuckle ride. Sad because the vehicle itself is great. I'll simply wait for other EV manufacturers to catch up before buying another new car.

Tesla tried to deliver me a LR with a VIN in 297XXX range which has the old reflector lights. Refused delivery weighting for reassignment, I guess. This blows, already had a 2018 with the old lights and this was one of the main reasons for an upgrade. Will be very irritated if the next one doesn't have them.
Sorry to hear. In the same boat as you. The rep said Tesla may cancel the order after multiple rejections (smth like 3?). Does anyone know the actual rules?

Ok, so it's more a matter of principle and promised value. Got it! It would have been nice for Tesla to include adaptive. Maybe it is a future software upgrade?

Personally, I'd rather have 24 feet of additional lighting output straight ahead, and more high beam lighting straight ahead as well and that's from working on LED headlight development professionally.
Yep its entirely principle. They are always beyond nasty to me so I feel no need to be yielding with them.

What’s in this matrix LED design that has everyone refusing the reflectors? Tesla doesn’t even have adaptive lighting (or Sirius XM, ventilated seats, or Homelink from the factory stuff that is on lower tier Fords)

Both lighting systems actually work well.

One uses fixed reflectors to form a static beam pattern.

The Matrix lights are a newer design, with an array of individually steerable grid-like beams inside a projection lens that can accomplish roughly the same beam pattern. Since they're steerable, it is possible (but not yet implemented) to do other new creative things with the beam pattern dynamically via software.

That's the difference.

Reactions: Kowalshy

If adaptive beam function ever gets enabled, it will offer much better lighting than the 24ft low beam difference measured by IIHS because it would allow high beams to remain on in most situations while the matrix technology blocks out specific areas to prevent blinding cars in front of you.

That is a big “if” whether Tesla will ever enable the function with an update, but at least with the matrix capable hardware there is still the possibility. With the reflector hardware there is zero possibility.

Reactions: Kowalshy
I accepted the reflector headlights, and I can confidently say (after comparing) that the reflector headlights are brighter than the matrix headlights.

I don’t think the matrix headlights turn with the steering.

I could see both reflector and matrix getting a software update to level up or down depending on the camera feedback. It already moves up and down with software.

You guys should really worry more about the build quality than the headlights.

Are you contacting your Sales Advisor to see what is included in your VIN?
Sorry i didnt see this reply, yea i contacted em, has everything up to date besides the matrixes. 297 VIN and apparently all 297’s got premiums. Also, if i may add, i drove with the car at night (took delivery tuesday) and i gotta say they are really damn good headlights! Bright af and good spread, maybe a retrofit in a year or two can be done once the software is out, we’ll see 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: metroplex

Attachments

• D86749C5-228B-4B93-BD64-3EE7E4FD0870.jpeg
    D86749C5-228B-4B93-BD64-3EE7E4FD0870.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 5F194C09-2F7D-4E59-96EA-E4321DF42CB7.jpeg
    5F194C09-2F7D-4E59-96EA-E4321DF42CB7.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Informative
Reactions: _tb_