Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s what’s happening.

F339A50A-5644-4B6F-9A1A-21D75B8EA47B.jpeg
8A0931E9-47AE-4E25-8E94-D5E33A1E4314.jpeg
9EA29D0B-FADA-46BD-B3FD-007966316DD9.jpeg

@stopcrazypp

Let's say you are in the market for a used car 3 years from now.
You knowing that Tesla produced 2022 Model 3s with Matrix and Premium headlights; which version of the Model 3 would you buy if both cars were in identical conditions and miles? Functioning Matrix headlights or Old reflector headlights?
Before I decided to go ahead and get a new Tesla, I was looking at ‘22 M3 LRs and I specifically asked dealers to send me pictures of the headlights for this exact purpose. I’m getting an M3P so it’s no longer a concern (and the M3P is the same price or cheaper than used LRs I was considering!), but I would’ve definitely turned down a car with premium headlights.

Reactions: Kowalshy
Before I decided to go ahead and get a new Tesla, I was looking at ‘22 M3 LRs and I specifically asked dealers to send me pictures of the headlights for this exact purpose. I’m getting an M3P so it’s no longer a concern (and the M3P is the same price or cheaper than used LRs I was considering!), but I would’ve definitely turned down a car with premium headlights.

Which LR headlight photo did they send you?

I did turn down the first VIN due to the premium lights. This time around i got one with all the latest features and am glad I waited.

what else besides matrix headlights was upgraded?
Most obvious change for model year 2022 was that the base model (formerly Standard Range Plus) got a 60kWh LFP battery instead of the previous 55kWh NCA or (for some later 2021 cars) LFP battery.

Changes not necessarily on model year boundaries (and not necessarily upgrades):
  • Center USB ports no longer have data starting late calendar year 2021.
  • New type of 12V battery phasing in early calendar year 2022.
  • New infotainment CPU (AMD Ryzen instead of Intel Atom) phasing in early calendar year 2022.
  • Premium or Global headlights (as this thread talks about) may be found in calendar year 2022.
  • OEM tires for 18" wheels may be Michelin Primacy MXM4 T1 or Hankook Kinergy GT T0 in calendar year 2022.

Reactions: tezlam3
2021 brought the matrix headlights, new center console, new door panels, new wheel designs, blacked out trim, power trunk.

Early 2022 brought li-ion 12v battery and Ryzen infotainment CPU

Most obvious change for model year 2022 was that the base model (formerly Standard Range Plus) got a 60kWh LFP battery instead of the previous 55kWh NCA or (for some later 2021 cars) LFP battery.

Changes not necessarily on model year boundaries (and not necessarily upgrades):
  • Center USB ports no longer have data starting late calendar year 2021.
  • New type of 12V battery phasing in early calendar year 2022.
  • New infotainment CPU (AMD Ryzen instead of Intel Atom) phasing in early calendar year 2022.
  • Premium or Global headlights (as this thread talks about) may be found in calendar year 2022.
  • OEM tires for 18" wheels may be Michelin Primacy MXM4 T1 or Hankook Kinergy GT T0 in calendar year 2022.

thanks, taking delivery tomorrow... wish me luck!

There are reports that Tesla has now started using matrix headlights on the Model Y long range, which never had them before. This article actually claims that there's a shortage of non-matrix headlights.

This is an older video from MB but shows the similar pixcell arrangement that the matrix 3/Y lights have, except the Tesla lights have 20% more elements. This is how most matrix lights are implemented now, though there is a new "digital matrix" from Audi that is actually a monochrome DLP projector, so it can do complex animations and beam forming.

Teardowns of the Tesla lights confirm both the matrix and the 2 axis motors for light aiming. It'll be pretty great when Tesla does the FMVSS certification and gets these updated. I suspect we will see matrix in Europe first as the certification there is simpler- just a road test. Mobileye, who has an integrated solution for headlight control, managed to get the US to only accept lab testing in an apparatus that isn't a complete car, so it might take more time here.