Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright guys, just made my account. Been watching this thread a few days awaiting for my M3LR with Vin 268 delivery that is set for the 1st. I truly didn't know the whole headlight issue until last week and have been so annoyed with lack of response from Tesla by giving me a generic response four times over last couple of days calling stating "it will be fitted with the best equipment we have at the time of assembly" LOL. I finally decided to make a 40 Min trip up and see if I could find my car in the lot and I found it. Can confirm VIN 268 has the Matrix projector HLs. I tried to do others the favor of finding lower numbered VINs and I found VIN 262 with reflectors, a lot of VIN 254 with reflectors, tried to find 266 and 267s and couldn't. I suspect they had those in a different lot behind the main building, my vehicle was in a smaller lot. So to those wondering 268 you should have the projector lights. Also did the whole outside inspection which luckily will now save me time on delivery (going to do quick once over) and found a couple of gap issues just like literally everyone. Not too bad, taillight was the worst part. Anyways, hope everyone awaiting 268 is excited about that news. I am one of the lucky ones, but feel bad for those that either accept the reflector models or deny and have to play roulette with future deliveries. Good luck everyone
What's your build date?

Pure speculation but they seem to have a run of reflector lights for about a week of builds towards the end of the month. So far that’s what happened in April and now May.

Maybe they get a shipment of matrix lights every 3-4 weeks and with the increased orders during Feb-March they run out of lights towards the end of the month because they didn’t account for the extra volume and/or their supplier couldn’t increase the order. Then their shipment comes in and cars get matrix lights again.

tbh idk my build date, but VIN assigned on the 27th. So not sure if they start the build that day or not
Thanks for the info. Seems like build date is the defining factor on when matrix lights were installed. My VIN is 267xxx and I received my VIN on the 28th and my build date was the 27th.

Given that your car has matrix headlights and that you received your VIN on the 27th, your build date is likely the 26th or 27th.

Good news for me lol.

Reactions: tatertottsalad
Thanks for the info. Seems like build date is the defining factor on when matrix lights were installed. My VIN is 267xxx and I received my VIN on the 28th and my build date was the 27th.

Given that your car has matrix headlights and that you received your VIN on the 27th, your build date is likely the 26th or 27th.

Good news for me lol.
I receive the vin just an hour ago, so I believe the build date should be 28th or 29th

Reactions: Kowalshy
I can personally reject delivery but I chose not too. Tbh the reflector do a much better job as I have spoke with people who have both. People are under the notion that newer = better. Not not always true. No one knows the future of the matrix lights. Their highest selling vehicle (MYLR) doesn't even have them. For some reason, people are super obsessed with getting these lights....

As I said earlier, if I didn't have Ryzen I would have probably been more upset. I will interact with the screen daily, more features will come with gaming, apps etc...lights to me are just lights. Even on my current vehicle, high performance LEDs...do a great job but that wasn't the selling feature when I bought it.

I can personally reject delivery but I chose not too. Tbh the reflector do a much better job as I have spoke with people who have both. People are under the notion that newer = better. Not not always true. No one knows the future of the matrix lights. Their highest selling vehicle (MYLR) doesn't even have them. For some reason, people are super obsessed with getting these lights....

As I said earlier, if I didn't have Ryzen I would have probably been more upset. I will interact with the screen daily, more features will come with gaming, apps etc...lights to me are just lights. Even on my current vehicle, high performance LEDs...do a great job but that wasn't the selling feature when I bought it.
Thanks for you perspective, but please stop trying to influence others decisions. These aren't cheap cars and people are entitled to get what they feel should be on their car.

If you are happy with your personal decision, great! But most people who are happy with their decisions typically don't feel the need to rationalize it to others.

Be happy with your car and let the rest of us discuss the issue and make our own calls.

Thanks!

Thanks for you perspective, but please stop trying to influence others decisions. These aren't cheap cars and people are entitled to get what they feel should be on their car.

If you are happy with your personal decision, great! But most people who are happy with their decisions typically don't feel the need to rationalize it to others.

Be happy with your car and let the rest of us discuss the issue and make our own calls.

Thanks!
I'm not trying to influence others lol...at the end of day its my choice as much as its yours. I don't have my car, and I can easily delay it. SA said it would be another few weeks likely.

Its a free forum to share perspectives and I wouldn't mind to hear from pro matrix folk as well...so please don't say I'm trying to influence others as that's not true...so no need to try and push me out of the convo

Thanks!!

I'm not trying to influence others lol...at the end of day its my choice as much as its yours. I don't have my car, and I can easily delay it. SA said it would be another few weeks likely.

Its a free forum to share perspectives and I wouldn't mind to hear from pro matrix folk as well...so please don't say I'm trying to influence others as that's not true...so no need to try and push me out of the convo

Thanks!!
I made this thread to discuss data points as to which cars are coming with or without matrix so people that are interested in matrix lights can have more information to make their decisions. Not to debate which is better or if it’s worth it or not to reject a car without it.

If you don’t care about matrix then that’s totally fine, but that means this thread doesn’t pertain to you and you’re not adding to the thread by interjecting your opinion to justify taking the premium lights.

I made this thread to discuss data points as to which cars are coming with or without matrix so people that are interested in matrix lights can have more information to make their decisions. Not to debate which is better or if it’s worth it or not to reject a car without it.

If you don’t care about matrix then that’s totally fine, but that means this thread doesn’t pertain to you and you’re not adding to the thread by interjecting your opinion to justify taking the premium lights.
If you go back and read through your post, there’s others who are discussing the lights. But if you want to unfairly call me out, that’s fine. All the best to everyone…it’s been a great few months…enjoy your cars. I won’t be posting here anymore.

The lesson here is obviously: definitely don't comment on a public forum with your thoughts - they might influence others. :rolleyes: