Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vin # NF293,xxx, Model 3 RWD, just talked to a Tesla customer rep. he informed me built date is 6/15/2022 with premium headlights.
EDD is 6/26-7/5 by train, hoping customer rep misinformed me about the headlights.
Guess i was being far too optimistic when hoping we were past this beyond the low 260's... Hopefully they are wrong, my SA said they were matrix but would confirm upon arrival, they were premium.

Was assigned VIN 260XXX on May 31 and delivery scheduled for next Tuesday. Called Tesla and agent told me car has premium headlights. Kinda upset but this is 4 months without a car. I really can't afford to wait longer.

I've seen a few comments about people with premium headlights putting in service requests for headlight upgrade to matrix. Not sure if anyone has had any success. Also read a few blogs say headlights can't be switched.

Has anyone here gone through the service request route? What has your experience been?

Ok....so my SA has me completely confused. I thought global = matrix and premium = reflector. I have a Model 3 Performance set for delivery on June 29 with VIN 298XXX. I was informed that it has global headlights by SA. I asked to confirm that "global" means "matrix." She then said it is not Matrix. I called and the SA said that build only says "global." She would not confirm if it has a reflector headlight or matrix headlight. She sounded confused. Any ideas?!?!?!

Ok....so my SA has me completely confused. I thought global = matrix and premium = reflector. I have a Model 3 Performance set for delivery on June 29 with VIN 298XXX. I was informed that it has global headlights by SA. I asked to confirm that "global" means "matrix." She then said it is not Matrix. I called and the SA said that build only says "global." She would not confirm if it has a reflector headlight or matrix headlight. She sounded confused. Any ideas?!?!?!
AFAIK there have been no recent reported M3P that have reflector lights, so they don't appear to be affected regardless. Global = matrix, premium = reflector, I just think your SA is going by what the system says, so they wouldn't know unless they have looked into it before elsewhere.

AFAIK there have been no recent reported M3P that have reflector lights, so they don't appear to be affected regardless. Global = matrix, premium = reflector, I just think your SA is going by what the system says, so they wouldn't know unless they have looked into it before elsewhere.
Since "global" and "premium" appear to be Tesla terminology, you may want to use those terms instead of "matrix" or "reflector" or whatever if you want to ask Tesla about them.

Reactions: bugnotfound
It would be a lot easier if Tesla changes their descriptions to from "global" to "premium" and "premium" to "poverty".
The Premium headlamps are premium compared to whatever the ones used before July 2018 were.

The Global headlamps appear to be an attempt to reduce hardware differences across regions, since their beam pattern can be adapted to local regulatory requirements in software. Theoretically, they could also offer a software feature that changes the beam pattern when driving into different regulatory areas (e.g. when driving between left hand drive and right hand drive areas). But if supply chain issues limit the supply of Global headlamps, that interferes with the plan.

My M3 (long range) delivery is tomorrow, 6.18.

How can I tell, in the simplest, easiest terms, whether my mod 3 has matrix/global headlights or not?

Has anyone actually refused delivery of your M3 if they did not have matrix headlights?

Thank you

How can I tell, in the simplest, easiest terms, whether my mod 3 has matrix/global headlights or not?

Has anyone actually refused delivery of your M3 if they did not have matrix headlights?

Thank you
Hold a piece of flat wood or cardboard in front of one of the lights while running the Lightshow app. If you see TESLA spelled out (it will be pixelated, but legible) then you have the matrix lights.

There are also photos of the different lights in this thread but I’m too lazy to find them.

Thank you
See this thread. It is dead simple to tell just by looking at the main bulb (the one nearest the edge of the side body panels).
The matrix light has a round projector lens in the back (like what you see in projectors), the reflectors have what look like mirrors:
New Matrix projector LED vs "old" reflector LED headlights comparison on US cars

Thank you
I rejected my vin once the SA confirmed the old premium headlights. But i also knew the Illinois rebate would start within a month and figured it was an easy reason to wait for it. I’m not sure what happens if I were to try and reject another car, but if it comes down to it, I’ll take the old headlights over losing my order entirely given the $7k difference in price now.

I believe you can take a pass on one assigned VIN, but if you cannot or will not accept the second assigned VIN, your order will be canceled. This is risky business for those of us who ordered at a much lower price then the current price. Remember that they usually give you a three-day window to pick up the car when it is ready, if you cannot pick it up on one of those days the car will be assigned to someone else. To me the headlights are not worth taking chances on losing my locked-in lower price.