Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So looking at the IIHS headlight testing data, the Reflectors throw light out further than the Projectors. So it seems like the Matrix/Projectors might have a better cut-off and aiming, but don't project light out as far as the Reflectors. Based on this data, I'd go with the older Reflector design as it meets/exceeds the 5 lux distance requirement while the newer Projectors are just short of it in the straight line testing. From experience, you want as much light out front as possible to spot potholes/objects in the road. Especially when it is dark with wet road surfaces. 2021 Tesla Model 3 4-door sedan

Reactions: tm3lrawd
So looking at the IIHS headlight testing data, the Reflectors throw light out further than the Projectors. So it seems like the Matrix/Projectors might have a better cut-off and aiming, but don't project light out as far as the Reflectors. Based on this data, I'd go with the older Reflector design as it meets/exceeds the 5 lux distance requirement while the newer Projectors are just short of it in the straight line testing. From experience, you want as much light out front as possible to spot potholes/objects in the road. Especially when it is dark with wet road surfaces. 2021 Tesla Model 3 4-door sedan

Here is the updated premium headlights

Here is the updated premium headlights

They used the wrong data. The one in that article is the reflectors. If you do a google search for IIHS model 3 and then go to the 2020 or 2021 model, they show both with a cut off date. The projectors are brighter everywhere but dead ahead. Then when you click on the data measurements that delta is about 8 meters from what I recall.

Reactions: Kowalshy
They used the wrong data. The one in that article is the reflectors. If you do a google search for IIHS model 3 and then go to the 2020 or 2021 model, they show both with a cut off date. The projectors are brighter everywhere but dead ahead. Then when you click on the data measurements that delta is about 8 meters from what I recall.

Premium light was upgraded from 2018 reflector

Reactions: stopcrazypp
Here is the IIHS data. Old reflectors and the matrix projectors. Undated screenshot is of the 2022 matrix. The reflectors have more straight ahead light output.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220619-224639_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-224639_Chrome.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot_20220619-224703_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-224703_Chrome.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20220619-224707_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-224707_Chrome.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: GoPowerup
I paused delivery for 2 wks cuz we were on vacay and was worried when the EDD got updated to 8/31-9/xx. But it switched back to 6/17 in about a week. Not sure if that was normal or that I asked if they could move the date up or they were trying to make the end of qtr push.
You're only one comment away from unlocking your signature! Out of curiosity, what was the actual timeframe from removing the hold and a new VIN assigned? I am in a hold right now until my vacation next week, which just so happens to line up with the Illinois EV rebate starting. Trying to decide if I should remove the hold while on vacation to speed things up, or if I play it safe and wait until the end.

You're only one comment away from unlocking your signature! Out of curiosity, what was the actual timeframe from removing the hold and a new VIN assigned? I am in a hold right now until my vacation next week, which just so happens to line up with the Illinois EV rebate starting. Trying to decide if I should remove the hold while on vacation to speed things up, or if I play it safe and wait until the end.
I texted Tesla two days after I returned from my vacation and they responded the same day. But as mentioned in my last post, the EDD date initially went all the way to 8/31-9/xx, but updated back to June after like 2-3 days after I texted them again to see if they could do anything to move the EDD back up. I am not sure if it was me asking or the fact that they were trying to do an end of the quarter push.

I got this message:
"Hi xxx, we currently plan to build and deliver your Model 3 in June.

Please reply JUNE if you are ready for delivery this month and we will contact you about scheduling your delivery once your Model 3 is built.
Please reply DELAY if you cannot take delivery this month and we will reach back out at a later time."

Here is the IIHS data. Old reflectors and the matrix projectors. Undated screenshot is of the 2022 matrix. The reflectors have more straight ahead light output.

I'd rather have the one with more capability but they both work great.

The data from this thread is helpful. I can't think of another instance where Tesla switched between old/new parts like this. ie. Removing lumbar, removing radar, and not alternating parts due to supply/cost. Maybe they'll start switching between the craparellis and michelins on the M3P.

Reactions: E90alex
I'd rather have the one with more capability but they both work great.

The data from this thread is helpful. I can't think of another instance where Tesla switched between old/new parts like this. ie. Removing lumbar, removing radar, and not alternating parts due to supply/cost. Maybe they'll start switching between the craparellis and michelins on the M3P.

Yes! I guess the point I was trying to convey was that people were stressing about not getting the Matrix/projectors but the Reflectors had more light output straight ahead. This is more important to me as I do a lot of driving at night, and you want as much reaction time as possible for potholes/objects especially when it is an unlit road that is wet (from rain, snow/slush, etc...) which makes it even harder to identify potholes or objects. Either one is fine, but given a choice I'd go with the Reflectors. The Matrix/Projectors just have much better refined/defined cut-off points. Getting the exact photometric output and mapping takes a lot of time/effort/money. The testing isn't cheap either as you have to find a facility to conduct it on a goniometer.

Reactions: JJ777
This question may have been already asked but is it possible to retrofit an M3 without matrix headlights with matrix lights if eventually they become a Tesla part you can order. I seem to remember reading that the back of the casing is different between new and old.

This question may have been already asked but is it possible to retrofit an M3 without matrix headlights with matrix lights if eventually they become a Tesla part you can order. I seem to remember reading that the back of the casing is different between new and old.
Currently no. Physically I believe the lights fit and have the same connector. But it requires a software configuration change to be functional that Tesla is not willing to make.

Yes! I guess the point I was trying to convey was that people were stressing about not getting the Matrix/projectors but the Reflectors had more light output straight ahead. This is more important to me as I do a lot of driving at night, and you want as much reaction time as possible for potholes/objects especially when it is an unlit road that is wet (from rain, snow/slush, etc...) which makes it even harder to identify potholes or objects. Either one is fine, but given a choice I'd go with the Reflectors. The Matrix/Projectors just have much better refined/defined cut-off points. Getting the exact photometric output and mapping takes a lot of time/effort/money. The testing isn't cheap either as you have to find a facility to conduct it on a goniometer.
Reflector headlights are inferior. That light straight ahead is due to less precision as they are more prone to blinding oncoming traffic. I'm not saying that people should refuse delivery if their Tesla comes with reflector headlights but If given the choice nobody should ever choose reflector headlights over projector as it's akin to choosing a 720p TV over a 4k TV. Yes the 720p TV will work fine for cable TV but the 4k TV offers more precise picture, more capabilities and more expensive hardware.

Currently no. Physically I believe the lights fit and have the same connector. But it requires a software configuration change to be functional that Tesla is not willing to make.
But couldn’t the software be easily updated in the future? If the 2 headlights are physically interchangeable that would seem like a simple solution. As long as you’re willing to pay $$$ for replacement Matrix lights, when they’re available

Understood. Given that the NHTSA has approved the use of matrix headlights, Tesla could update the functionality any day now. Or maybe they'll keep it nerfed for the sake of not shafting those with premium lights.

Curious if anybody out there has, or heard of someone who refused delivery on an M3 without Matrix to wait for a replacement that did have matrix. My delivery window 6/25 - 7/9/22 M3 LR MSM

This entire thread..

Reactions: Kowalshy
Reflector headlights are inferior. That light straight ahead is due to less precision as they are more prone to blinding oncoming traffic. I'm not saying that people should refuse delivery if their Tesla comes with reflector headlights but If given the choice nobody should ever choose reflector headlights over projector as it's akin to choosing a 720p TV over a 4k TV. Yes the 720p TV will work fine for cable TV but the 4k TV offers more precise picture, more capabilities and more expensive hardware.
Except IIHS reported 0 glare with those LED reflector headlights. There's simply and factually MORE light output straight ahead with the reflectors vs the projectors. This is not really up for debate. Without seeing the photometric mapping from the test lab, it'd be hard to say it is prone to blinding oncoming traffic especially when IIHS reported 0 glare.

The main benefit from the matrix/projectors is peripheral lighting. The beam pattern looks VERY cookie cutter/clean and focused on side lighting. The reflectors throw more light out further. Given a choice, I'd go with the reflectors because you want as much light out forward as possible with minimal glare. If anything, I personally feel the model 3 headlights are still inadequate. The best Tesla headlights would be on the Model Y with the most output forward.

If you want to see glare, take a look at the 2016-2019 Explorer LED lowbeams (I have the 2018). IIHS reports 232% excessive glare, haha. But those headlights are really good, by far one of the best I've used for such an inexpensive vehicle. Driving at speed in pitch black roads with wet surfaces, they are a night/day difference and I don't even have foglights.

Given a choice, I'd go with the reflectors for that extra 24 feet or so of forward lighting distance. Projectors/Matrix isn't bad, just not as much light output where I'd personally want it.