Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think Tesla follows any type of chronological sequence for the VINs. I've seen LR orders from March or earlier end up with a high VIN. Then M3Ps ordered just a month ago arrive now with a 245xxx or 273xxx VIN. Then a LR would pop out with 297 or 300.

I don't think Tesla follows any type of chronological sequence for the VINs. I've seen LR orders from March or earlier end up with a high VIN. Then M3Ps ordered just a month ago arrive now with a 245xxx or 273xxx VIN. Then a LR would pop out with 297 or 300.
I think they have multiple Model 3 lines going and VINs are assigned in batches. And all the parts are earmarked when the VINs get generated before the car is built so they know they have all the parts needed for the car.

So it could happen that one line had some delays or was just slower and we end up with newer build dates of lower number sequence VINs that were already pre-assigned Premium lights.

Then the other line with higher VINs were pre-assigned with matrix lights but it moved faster so the higher VIN actually left the factory before the lower VIN.

Reactions: Kowalshy
I think they have multiple Model 3 lines going and VINs are assigned in batches. And all the parts are earmarked when the VINs get generated before the car is built so they know they have all the parts needed for the car.

So it could happen that one line had some delays or was just slower and we end up with newer build dates of lower number sequence VINs that were already pre-assigned Premium lights.

Then the other line with higher VINs were pre-assigned with matrix lights but it moved faster so the higher VIN actually left the factory before the lower VIN.
That makes sense. The car I rejected earlier this week was 299xxx. I went by Fremont factory today and found these non-P m3s with matrix headlights, with VINs seemingly all over the place:

Matrix:
267xxx
273xxx
294xxx (3x)
295xxx (2x)
297xxx (5x)
298xxx (3x)
299xxx

Premium:
276xxx
299xxx (the car I rejected is still on the lot)

And looking at 299xxx it seems that the first 3 numbers doesn't sufficiently guarantee one headlight over another.

How do you find the build day? My door sticker says 6/22. Trying to figure out the actual day though since that's also what people are putting in the spreadsheet.
You’ll have to ask the SAs to look it up from your VIN. It’s not printed on the car. Before delivery there’s a little window sticker with the mfg date and VIN but I guess they remove and toss it during PDI.

You’ll have to ask the SAs to look it up from your VIN. It’s not printed on the car. Before delivery there’s a little window sticker with the mfg date and VIN but I guess they remove and toss it during PDI.
I found mine in Scan My Tesla. “Birthday” year, month, day, hour, and minute are provided. Mine is 2021-11-17 05:58.

That makes sense. The car I rejected earlier this week was 299xxx. I went by Fremont factory today and found these non-P m3s with matrix headlights, with VINs seemingly all over the place:

Matrix:
267xxx
273xxx
294xxx (3x)
295xxx (2x)
297xxx (5x)
298xxx (3x)
299xxx

Premium:
276xxx
299xxx (the car I rejected is still on the lot)

And looking at 299xxx it seems that the first 3 numbers doesn't sufficiently guarantee one headlight over another.
Went to take delivery again today and confirmed my 294xxx has matrix headlights. Unfortunately there was a big misalignment on the passenger side fender that I couldn't look past. What's worst, they kept trying to convince me that it's "within spec". As much I really want to pickup, I chose to reject again. Side question, would anyone have any datapoints of whether Tesla may cancel their order if they reject delivery too many times?

In Michigan we have to pay for the vehicle in full within 3 days of getting a VIN. It must be nice to be able to reject the car at delivery in other states! They took all of our buying power away in this state.

This week's Autoline on PBS had a panel discussing automotive lighting. They described in detail how the matrix headlight are supposed to work in Europe. They need to use a camera and a digital imaging processor in order to switch the segments of lighting to prevent glare for oncoming traffic (as described by a few people in this thread). Does the Model 3 already have the camera and processor/capability to do this?

Last edited:
Sigh was told my VIN had matrix headlights and when I went for contactless delivery it was the old reflector headlights. Everything else was fine with the car aside from a minor panel gap. Tesla delivery guy told me once they get more parts they will retrofit but that was an absolute lie.

I couldn’t decline it because I declined other VINs that I got assigned without them. This was my last chance or they would have canceled my order.

Kinda pissed I’m paying $50k and not getting the latest features. Day 1 and feel like I’ve already been shafted by Tesla. They really don’t give a *sugar* about their customers I can tell.

On the bright side the car is bonkers fun.