Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same with the computer chip/12V Battery, they don’t make it a key point on features for the M3/Y so if they don’t give it no one can say it’s what was promised
For the most part I agree with you, except that this affects the styling of the car and is visible in the ordering process. They correctly show the premium lights on the long range model Y and the global/matrix on the performance model Y. They only show the global/matrix on all versions of the model 3.

For the most part I agree with you, except that this affects the styling of the car and is visible in the ordering process. They correctly show the premium lights on the long range model Y and the global/matrix on the performance model Y. They only show the global/matrix on all versions of the model 3.

It's been well documented on the internet that tesla switched over to projector/matrix headlights in 2021.
As mentioned by @HarpoonS , we can see Tesla still using the matrix headlights for marketing and configuration purposes for customers.
I am 1000000% sure that this is intentional because companies like Tesla have multiple approval processes to get images approved for website marketing. Also, it's been well discussed online that Tesla SA all knew that model came with the latest matrix headlights.

Still not false advertising?

Last edited:
Oh I’m on your side here, I would be insanely mad if I didn’t get the matrix headlights they just look way too cool. I remember when I started seeing them around 6 months after I took delivery of my M3 pre-facelift and I was super jealous. It would be upsetting to buy a new one just to have the next person get a better spec’d car for the same money or maybe even less money depending on when they placed the order. I’m pretty sure they do this switching of lights in production since they know most people aren’t going to notice or might actually like that style but it’s def lame of them.

I am 1000000% sure that this is intentional because companies like Tesla have multiple approval processes to get images approved for website marketing.
Given Tesla's history, I doubt much people would agree with you Tesla is that careful about marketing images. For example when they launched the new wood trim on the door, they still had the old door design in the design studio for a while.

Last edited:
Given Tesla's history, I doubt much people would agree with you Tesla is that careful about marketing images. For example when they launched the new wood trim on the door, they still had the old door design in the design studio for a while.

Well, someone should get fired for that! LOL

"Bait-and-Switch Tactics​

A business marketing a product they do not truly intend to deliver in terms of quality/function is considered bait-and-switch. In a bait-and-switch, the business delivers a product that is of much lower quality than advertised to consumers."

As you can see, @ElectricNerd got Matrix headlights on his 2022 M3LR.

Reactions: Kowalshy
Well, someone should get fired for that! LOL

"Bait-and-Switch Tactics​

A business marketing a product they do not truly intend to deliver in terms of quality/function is considered bait-and-switch. In a bait-and-switch, the business delivers a product that is of much lower quality than advertised to consumers."

As you can see, @ElectricNerd got Matrix headlights on his 2022 M3LR.
In this case, the difference between premium and matrix is very minor. Premium is a bit brighter in the center, matrix has the light more spread out on the edges. Some people prefer the former. I'm guessing most people here want matrix because they expect Tesla to do a software update to enable matrix functionality, but at the moment not only has Tesla not promised matrix functionality (whether it be for upcoming cars or older), they have not released even a car with such functionality yet.

Point of my comment is you can easily chalk the website not being updated to an honest mistake or laziness, which is different than an explicit attempt to bait and switch. And given new Model 3 LR can come with matrix or premium, using either can make sense for the website. This is different from Model Y where they have not mixed and matched at all.

Reactions: tm3lrawd
I think you're wrong. I'm guessing most people here want matrix because they project "TESLA" when they come on during the light show!
(Just kidding 😜)
Yeah, if people are wringing their hands over this in this way, I wonder even if Tesla does eventually release matrix functionality in future cars they will add a configuration flag that disables this for older cars so that all the cars that are in mix and match era keep essentially the same functionality (whether they be premium or matrix lights). Those calling mixing and matching premium or matrix "bait and switch" would essentially then doom everyone with matrix lights to less possible functionality.

Will people then be grabbing pitchforks for not having functionality that was not promised or even demonstrated in another Tesla in any way?

Yeah, if people are wringing their hands over this in this way, I wonder even if Tesla does eventually release matrix functionality in future cars they will add a configuration flag that disables this for older cars so that all the cars that are in mix and match era keep essentially the same functionality (whether they be premium or matrix lights). Those calling mixing and matching premium or matrix "bait and switch" would essentially then doom everyone with matrix lights to less possible functionality.

Will people then be grabbing pitchforks for not having functionality that was not promised or even demonstrated in another Tesla in any way?

@stopcrazypp

Let's say you are in the market for a used car 3 years from now.
You knowing that Tesla produced 2022 Model 3s with Matrix and Premium headlights; which version of the Model 3 would you buy if both cars were in identical conditions and miles? Functioning Matrix headlights or Old reflector headlights?

Reactions: SkepTeach
I wonder even if Tesla does eventually release matrix functionality in future cars they will add a configuration flag that disables this for older cars so that all the cars that are in mix and match era keep essentially the same functionality.
I'm thinking they wouldn't artificially limit functionality due to being in an era where you might have gotten one or the other.

It's the same as some cars getting CCS charging enabled and some disabled. I doubt they'll offer "disabled" cars upgrades for free. However, it's not likely they'll disable it in enabled cars just because some cars in the same era didn't get it. Like premium/matrix headlights, CCS enabled/disabled was never promised and it's the luck of the draw whether you got a car that came with the hardware that enables it.

Reactions: Kowalshy
I'm thinking they wouldn't artificially limit functionality due to being in an era where you might have gotten one or the other.

It's the same as some cars getting CCS charging enabled and some disabled. I doubt they'll offer "disabled" cars upgrades for free. However, it's not likely they'll disable it in enabled cars just because some cars in the same era didn't get it. Like premium/matrix headlights, CCS enabled/disabled was never promised and it's the luck of the draw whether you got a car that came with the hardware that enables it.
Im doubtful too that they would limit functionality of lights in the future to make sure people dont feel upset about the version of lights they got. But its understandable if someone thinks they might do that, for example im sure the 4680 Model Y "standard range" can probably do much better in terms of max range/ acceleration but its likely limited so that people who bought LR or Performance Ys don't feel some type of way. Just my guess 😂

@stopcrazypp

Let's say you are in the market for a used car 3 years from now.
You knowing that Tesla produced 2022 Model 3s with Matrix and Premium headlights; which version of the Model 3 would you buy if both cars were in identical conditions and miles? Functioning Matrix headlights or Old reflector headlights?
See my other comment. You are assuming Tesla will release functionality they never promised. Under your logic, if Tesla is liable for this, then the best course of action for Tesla would be to disable this functionality in cars before they release the functionality in new cars, which would render the entire point moot as both types would be "equal".

Last edited:

I'm thinking they won't artificially limit it either, given this would be "bonus" functionality. However, if people insist and it becomes majority public opinion Tesla is legally liable for this, even though they never promised it (assuming they do eventually release something like this, which there is zero indication of, a situation completely different from CCS where we know they already have the software/hardware working), then the best course of action for Tesla would be to limit both types to the same functionality.

Attachments

• 28837733-98AD-4A76-A16F-866AA6032E7C.png
    28837733-98AD-4A76-A16F-866AA6032E7C.png
    457.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 90E9CF9A-2176-4069-900C-216B475D24A6.png
    90E9CF9A-2176-4069-900C-216B475D24A6.png
    458.7 KB · Views: 146
You mean the pictures? I want to see that in writing. I could not find it anywhere. Look at other cars, and they have it in writing - Regular, Halogen, etc
I never said they stated it, I said they showed them. Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough in my wording before, I just meant they have the configurator correctly setup for the Y to show the difference, so it’s kinda bogus if it’s not correct for the 3 as well.

Reactions: enemji