Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 refresh questions on mileage and others(2020-->to 2022).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So new 2022 MX LR is coming Monday. Reserved Jan 3, 2021 so I'm locked in at a good price. Just got trade offer from Tesla on the old X and WOW it's good, so getting the new X, 'cons' listed below and all.

'Old one' is a late 9-2020, H-pack battery with 371 mile EPA LR+ Red/White, 20s, 5 seat, FSD. Bought May of 2021 as too impatient waiting for new one. Good thing as 13 months later and just now getting one ordered 17 months ago.
'New one' is a 2022 348 mile EPA LR Blue, cream, 20s, 5 seat, NO FSD

Pro of new:
-Quieter. Hearing the interior is quieter and the 2020 is NOT a quiet car on the highway.
-Warrantee resets to 0 miles. Old is already 1/2 way to done at 26k miles and afraid of owning a Tesla out of warrantee as parts seem expensive (front axles etc.) and its had 4 things go wrong that needed 4 trips for fixing in 1 year at 360 miles round trip to the Service Center (worse reliability than any other car we own right now in family, Chevy, Caddy, Ford and a Kia)
-Is the color and interior we wanted back in Jan 2021 when ordered (Blue 5 seat with Cream) Existing is Red/White 5 seat. I like the red/white, wife wants blue and cream.
-Heat pump should help with cold weather distance loss. Being in Wi, the 2020 takes a bad hit below 25 deg F. Compensates for less overall range (see cons)
-Better high beams? Even w/o matrix, sounds like new lights are better. Lows were ok before but highs not worthy to be on a $100K car.
-Better passenger HVAC. Wife always complains air flow to passenger is so limited. Looking at the small side of the far right vent, I can see why.
-Cooled seats. Should help with HVAC lacking.

Con of new:
-Less distance. EPA is 348 vs 371 rating of old. BAD! Teslas rarely gets rating, but should be able to compare model to model so this sucks. Looking into this, Tesla is not honest on the website right now . Says 351est, but EPA is 348 for the LR with 20" tires. Appears to be the same battery, but the MPGe is LESS on the new one EPA rating(Hyway MPGe 101 old, 97 new) Aero doesn't look much different and heard tires on the same so must be the motor changes for the 520->670HP bump. Didn't ask for this HP increase as it will probably chew up axels faster. Would REALLY have liked a 400 mile EPA, They are going the wrong way! (Makes sense as heard they switched from an induction motor in the rear to a permanent magnet. I believe induction motors can free wheel easier when not being used, so the new rear motor is a distance drag. Sucks.
-Existing battery is down 4.8% in 26K miles to 353 miles at 100%. That loss is always worse in first year, so I need to go back and have the largest decrease(1st year) on a car that doesn't go as far to start with. Winter is really my problem so hope the heat pump makes up for that decrease.
-Yoke: at best might find is acceptable but surly a "change for the sake of change" that NO ONE was asking for.
-Lack of stalks. This might be worse than the yoke. Since auto highs and auto wipers SUCK and assume they will still SUCK, having a stalk to control each is a big positive. Along with a moving target for the turn signal 'button' seems WAY worse for a quick action where decide to lane change NOW.
-Will heat pump even work in the winter? Sounds like Canadians have lots of problems with the 3 and Y in the cold. Fix seems to be, oh it works again in May. THAT will cause wife to really hate this thing!
-New Christmas tree show is not as good. At the end, the new one just stops, all doors open. Seems like the intern working on this never finished it. See can create own, but that takes time and effort to fix what we use to have.

Indifferent:
-Loss of FSD. Not paying for that! Existing one has it. Phantom braking it so bad right now (once every 3 minutes average for our roads) wife hates is "when the car drives" Last trip, turned it off in the menu and regular Auto-Pilot was much better. Just don't like the 5 mph over limit imposed by old Auto Pilot stack, where FSD could go as fast as want. Other than that, standard AP is lots better than FSD as a cruiser on 2 lane highways. Might Miss the interstate stack of FSD as that was decent but don't drive that enough to pay $12K for it!
-Black out, loss of chrome. Think chrome was better but not a big deal, people are in a dark mood right now.
-Matrix Lights, maybe ok, as long as brighter, not a show stopper. Not going to wait for this as may be 2 weeks or 2 years, this is Tesla after all.
-Charger, I am keeping the mobile charger as I AM a person who uses in when travel to our cabin so don't care that new one doesn't have one.

Questions:
-Should I keep the Abstract Ocean super bright LEDs I installed in the interior? The 2020 interior lights were poor, the after market ones from Abstract Ocean fixed that. Will they fit in the frunk and rear and under seat on the new model
-Should I keep the floor mats? Do the new ones come with mats? Will the old ones fit?

Thank, getting excited!
Like said, while writing this a very nice trade offer came in and new one it is!

Reactions: forzawq
About the range, 2020 MX was originally rated at 352 miles and then the number increased with software updates. So IMO, there is not much difference between refreshed and legacy MX milage.
Not exactly. Starting in Aug of 20, there was a new battery. The battery Rev went from G to H. And only the H batteries were rated at 371. The 352 mile G never got the increase. Both sold as LR+ however. I have a 9-2020 H battery equipped X and looked for that version when I bought ours used.

Reactions: n.one.one
On mileage, the EPA test is meant to be used as a laboratory comparison between cars. I almost never reflects your actual range. It is done on a dyno and for highway the max speed is 60 mph. The test schedule is show on this page.
Yes it’s made so you can fairly assess the old X with the new X. The new X doesn’t go as far.

I got pretty darn close to EPA on every Tesla. I tend to do better than EPA in summer and worse in winter. But My lifetime pretty much averages out to EPA.

Here is my S. Refresh S is EPA rated 240 wh/mi

I’m currently at 248 wh/mi lifetime but I’m working my way down from sone winter driving. You can see my last 236 mile round trip was 215 wh/mi. And no I’m not driving 60 mph and a level road. Plenty of hills and HVAC going.

52123200182_81acf4c8fa_b_d.jpg

I was in same situation. Was going to trade my 21 LR+ but decided to sell instead. What were you offered on trade?

I have opposite take on the 22.
- LOVE the yoke. Would never go back. Unobstructed view of screen is phenomenal.
- LOVE the buttons on the yoke. Perfectly positioned. Easy to use.
- LOVE the intelligent shift on screen. Again, works beautifully.

I was in same situation. Was going to trade my 21 LR+ but decided to sell instead. What were you offered on trade?

I have opposite take on the 22.
- LOVE the yoke. Would never go back. Unobstructed view of screen is phenomenal.
- LOVE the buttons on the yoke. Perfectly positioned. Easy to use.
- LOVE the intelligent shift on screen. Again, works beautifully.
Trade offer was really good. As in $20k more than we paid for it 13 months ago when got it used. Plus had 7800 miles, now has 26,000 so we put on over 18k miles and made money on it! Buying that one last year was the best investment we made as 401k is sucking it right now.

If true, that sucks cus they aren't that good. Have seem lots of reports on here from older X going to new that say even w/o matrix they are better.
I think way back there was different headlights. But they have not changed since at least Raven if not earlier. You can look up part numbers on line and you will see the same part number and Rev.

Raven headlight were not terrible to me. But the Matrix is clearly better. And some day they should be even better.

Once in while I’ll see a stop sign in the middle of a cloudy day light up blazing bright. Is that me? I guess so.

Trade offer was really good. As in $20k more than we paid for it 13 months ago when got it used. Plus had 7800 miles, now has 26,000 so we put on over 18k miles and made money on it! Buying that one last year was the best investment we made as 401k is sucking it right now.
Do you mind sharing exactly how much Tesla offered you? I know the offer varies based on region and condition of the car but I just wanted to an idea what Tesla is offering people. The reason why I am asking is because I have a friend trading in his 2020 MXLR for a 2022 MXLR and he offered to sell me his at whatever Tesla offers him.

Do you mind sharing exactly how much Tesla offered you? I know the offer varies based on region and condition of the car but I just wanted to an idea what Tesla is offering people. The reason why I am asking is because I have a friend trading in his 2020 MXLR for a 2022 MXLR and he offered to sell me his at whatever Tesla offers him.
Do you have sales tax offset for trade-in?
Tesla offers me 103K before sales tax offset. My MX has around 22K on odo.

Hey FirstInTown,

Your list of Pros/Cons/Indifferent points is great. By now you must have had a month or so of experience with your 2022 MX. Can you give us a quick update on how each of these points looks for now? And would love another update in a few months after some cold weather driving!

TIA!

I think way back there was different headlights. But they have not changed since at least Raven if not earlier. You can look up part numbers on line and you will see the same part number and Rev.

Raven headlight were not terrible to me. But the Matrix is clearly better. And some day they should be even better.

Once in while I’ll see a stop sign in the middle of a cloudy day light up blazing bright. Is that me? I guess so.

I currently own an myp with matrix and a model x plaid and comparing those two headlights, the matrix actually is a little dimmer. Now that’s a loaded statement when actually the matrix lights are much wider beam pattern with an even spill minus the notches which leave a blank spot in the road and the highbeams cast all around the car in a very boxy pattern that gives better situational awareness. The model x has a very bright and intense low beam that has a splotchy spill pattern on the ground directly in front. Doesn’t cast nearly as far down the road as the matrix low beams but the high beams actually throw a bit farther albeit in a very narrow fashion. Matrix does have the advantage of useable light just due to the beam pattern being so wide but the model x lights aren’t that bad either.

If I had to wager a guess why the X doesn’t have matrix lights yet, it’s probably because of the light show which is arguably the best implementation in the X with the doors and the headlights sequentially light up the individual reflectors vs matrix only has the 2 lights and all it can do is spell tesla on a wall. Just my conspiracy theory, take it with a grain of salt.

Also traded my 2021 LR+, with H pack. trade-in value was very favorable. I put 30k on the '21 X, and trade in value was more than what I paid for it, minus tax + lic of course. Out of pocket was the interest for 2 year ownership. Plus 179 bonus depreciation. Best deal evar! got full credit for the FSD that was never used. my '21 got the whole FSD beta update 1 day before trade-in, I was so busy I didn't even have time to actually try it. Now I'm back at the end of the line for FSD.

And the most awesome part! 20 days from order to delivery (sorry for those that had to wait). End of quarter push and close Fremont, put me at the right place, right time.

New X is so much better. I gave Tesla a lot of leeway, due to the tech and being a fanboy, but the noisy cabins was pushing me to the brink. I actually was going to buy a EQS SUV for this year, but dealers wanted a $50k markup. Back to X I go, and glad I did. Love the interior, love the yoke, turn buttons work fine for me. actually missed the buttons when I got back into my other EV. weird. No longer hitting the horn while turning now. The tilting screen is OK, starts to rattle after some driving, move it back to center, rattle stops, and wait a bit to tilt again, then it drives for a bit and starts to rattle again. will probably just leave it in the middle. did I mention cabin is so quiet now. I think it's worthy of $100k car, not Mercedes or Porsche quiet, but it's like 10x better than my 3 or the previous 2 X. 16 X was quieter than '21 X, and '17 3 wins in the cabin noise dept (most noisy win).

Only weird issue I have is that I feel like the suspension is way too soft vs Raven '21. not sure if it's just me over thinking it, but I swear the '21 handles better with the 20" wheels. '22 Plaid has the 22" and it feels like a sofa when cornering. 3k miles so far, impressed with cabin noise and interior fit and finish. handling is to be determined, maybe time will tell.

-ThinkMac-

Reactions: henderrj
Only weird issue I have is that I feel like the suspension is way too soft vs Raven '21. not sure if it's just me over thinking it, but I swear the '21 handles better with the 20" wheels. '22 Plaid has the 22" and it feels like a sofa when cornering. 3k miles so far, impressed with cabin noise and interior fit and finish. handling is to be determined, maybe time will tell.
-ThinkMac-
The suspension is highly configurable from the console. The biggest problem I have, is which setup do I really prefer.