Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 refresh swivel screen rattling housing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Alright… given the absolutely shoddy job Tesla did with the housing for the swivel mechanism and that it’s just plastic allowed to rattle around (most noticeable when adjusted toward the driver), what have people come up with in terms of quieting down the plastic trim? It’s terrible how much it rattles over uneven road.

I’m thinking some 3M tape to hold the plastic covers together…

Thanks, Tesla. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Mine is suddenly rattling like crazy. Curious if you did anything that helped?
I haven't tried to fix it yet. If you put your hand behind the screen like in my video, does the plastic move around easily like mine does in the video? If so, some double sided tape on the inside would address it. I can always put my hand behind the screen and that quells the noise while I hold the plastic. Cheers, Tesla!

My plastic moves around just like yours does in your video. I moved it some and it stopped rattling for the time being. Thanks!
Pretty impressive for a car that cost this much, eh? There’s no possible way that this piece doesn’t rattle around, the way it is currently designed. At some point I’ll get around to using some tape or felt or something to fix it permanently.

A rattle started getting worse on my car recently--it really sounded like it was from the back of the phone charging area. I was going to open it up and see what the issue was, but thought I'd browse the forums here first to look for any mentions/fixes for this (since you guys had a solution for the rear seat latch rattle on my car)....

...and then I saw this post. Sure enough, my shroud is fairly loose also and most likely the source of the rattle (I'll test it out the next time I take the car out).

Sorry you're dealing with this, but I appreciate you posting--I never would have thought to check behind the screen without reading this--and even when I did, I didn't get it to move until I tried moving it up and down specifically.
Not gonna slam Tesla, but (okay, maybe a little bit).....my car that was built by three blokes in a British barn (and most likely after a pint or two) so far has better designed components, higher quality level of assembly, and fewer rattles. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamG
A rattle started getting worse on my car recently--it really sounded like it was from the back of the phone charging area. I was going to open it up and see what the issue was, but thought I'd browse the forums here first to look for any mentions/fixes for this (since you guys had a solution for the rear seat latch rattle on my car)....

...and then I saw this post. Sure enough, my shroud is fairly loose also and most likely the source of the rattle (I'll test it out the next time I take the car out).

Sorry you're dealing with this, but I appreciate you posting--I never would have thought to check behind the screen without reading this--and even when I did, I didn't get it to move until I tried moving it up and down specifically.
Not gonna slam Tesla, but (okay, maybe a little bit).....my car that was built by three blokes in a British barn (and most likely after a pint or two) so far has better designed components, higher quality level of assembly, and fewer rattles. :D
Yeah I still need to fix mine. I’m lazy…

• Funny
Reactions: Murtaya
I put some looped up electrical tape on the inside of the center screen's pivot shroud to hold it in place, and the rattle is all gone now.

I'm actually used to seeking out and fixing rattles on my glorified kit-car, so it's not that big a deal doing it on the Tesla....just a little unexpected for a current day, mass-produced car. :)

I picked up my model S 2 weeks ago. I had the rattle from the start. I took it into the service center and they told me the housing was installed incorrectly. It was reinstalled and "insulating material" was installed. no rattle and housing feels pretty solid. The tech seemed to know exactly what the problem was as soon as I told him what was going on.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I remember on this forum months before the swivel screen came out. So many people had to have it. There was talk of delaying and holding orders just to get the swivel screen. "OMG, do you think if I put my order on hold I could get the swivel screen?"
My wife drives a 2022 model X without the swivel screen and now I have a Model S with the swivel screen. I will say that we both prefer the swivel screen. I love having the screen pointed at me while I am driving. It makes for a more immersive driving experience.