Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Refreshed Model S / Plaid - Cup holder too small?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry buddy. So what’s underneath the rubber insert?
Looked like the same plastic mold that you have but I stopped as soon as I realized I was pulling out the edge that was pinched in the top. The edge in the top is paper thin so I had to wiggle it back and forth a bunch to get it to (mostly) go back in. Can't 100% confirm it's the same plastic mold but I think it is. Would make sense.

Mine is different. There are no rubber nubs, the bottom is not textured, and there's actually an open seam around the bottom edge that would be a problem with liquids. It looks like you might be able to work that edge back under to smooth it out hopefully.

I pulled it out again and will try using a business card to work it in when I get home. Here are a couple of pics. The molding under it does look like yours underneath it seems.
C6A2A3BF-2EE3-454E-945C-16421C35920E.jpeg
2CD0973E-BDC6-4604-916C-F3A280955A49.jpeg

Reactions: renshcp
I think that is an insert, and that it's the same underneath as mine. But Tesla strangely added it in a way it cannot be removed to clean or whatever. I was thinking you could remove it and replace with aftermarket version. But that 1 edge looks unfinished and you would see that.

Maybe you can tuck that remaining piece in with corner of credit card or plastic ruler; something flat that won't scratch metallic trim.

Why couldn’t they leave well enough alone? What crap.
I actually prefer the new change. I have had both and the older version did not snugly fit water bottles and narrower cans.

The rubber protrusions seem to have gotten more flexible with use over the last month or so. It is easier to fit wider containers now. Obviously they are not 100% as wide as the previous version but the difference is only a couple mm.

Reactions: jebinc
I actually prefer the new change. I have had both and the older version did not snugly fit water bottles and narrower cans.

The rubber protrusions seem to have gotten more flexible with use over the last month or so. It is easier to fit wider containers now. Obviously they are not 100% as wide as the previous version but the difference is only a couple mm.
Actually had SC order a couple for mine since it didn't come with any as I had the same issue with containers not fitting snug and sliding side to side in front center console and rear armrest. I did try one of the aftermarket inserts but found the rubber far too ridged and it would leave indentions at the bottom of some fast food containers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bull
I took my center console apart to swap the wood for carbon, and I can confirm that under the new rubber insert is that same plastic bottom in the pre-refresh 2021/early 22. You need to take off the cup holder topper trim to put it back, which is not easy, but if you don't plan on putting it back, just RIP it out.

I left mine in because it hold my Monster Energy perfectly.

So annoying that they could have such a rookie design flaw. It's a cup holder; how hard can it be? None of my normal travel mugs fit. Either it's inadequately snugged into the rubber bumpers so that getting too hard on either pedal dislodges it, or it's rammed in so hard that it won't come out.

Absolutely LOVE the car, but the horn buton and thw cup holder are very annoying.

Horn in the airbag center is coming soon. Maybe enabled by software update in some newer cars?

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
This is driving me crazy. Has anyone successfully taken it apart to remove the rubber insert? Or actually just ripped it out entirely?

Jason
I pulled my center console apart to swap the wood for carbon. I can confirm there is nothing holding the rubber insert in place, other than the top rim of the cupholder. You can simply rip it out. (Please note that you will not be able to put it back in without taking the whole center console apart, so I would consider this a one-way door.)

I pulled my center console apart to swap the wood for carbon. I can confirm there is nothing holding the rubber insert in place, other than the top rim of the cupholder. You can simply rip it out. (Please note that you will not be able to put it back in without taking the whole center console apart, so I would consider this a one-way door.)
Disassembly is probably a better option, given pulling it out caused some damage with per post above.
AC0BF7DB-B2A5-49B0-8B37-D5EE1FA8F390.jpeg

Disassembly is probably a better option, given pulling it out caused some damage with per post above.
View attachment 793280
That really does not make any sense to me. Did the person who posted this try to pry it out and potentially cause that "damage"? Because that rubber lip is very thin and I don't find it conceivable that pulling it out could cause damage to the underlying cupholder.

On a side note, i have a "AOSK for Tesla Refreshed Model S Center Console Cup Holder Insert 2021 2022 New Model S" which I bought before taking delivery of my 2022+ and no longer need it(Brand New, unused). If anyone wants it, I will give it to you for free (just pay the shipping). Send me a PM.

Last edited:
That really does not make any sense to me. Did the person who posted this try to pry it out and potentially cause that "damage"? Because that rubber lip is very thin and I don't find it conceivable that pulling it out could cause damage to the underlying cupholder.

On a side note, i have a "AOSK for Tesla Refreshed Model S Center Console Cup Holder Insert 2021 2022 New Model S" which I bought before taking delivery of my 2022+ and no longer need it. If anyone wants it, I will give it to you for free (just pay the shipping). Send me a PM.
Unclear; it looks like the internal liner tore or split on edge. But it could have been like that underneath before the attempt.

I have the AOSK cup holder too, and think it's great. Nice to have something that can be removed and cleaned. Plus it properly holds small water bottles and coffee cups.

Reactions: cmarshack
Only wish the nobs on the AOSK cup holders were a tad more flexible. Pushing in a tight fit coffee cup / plastic bottle feels like it’s going to rip the container.
Try twisting slightly as you place or remove cup; this seems to wedge in nicely and make it easier to remove without lifting the cup holder itself. I've also noticed that hot coffee softens up the nobs! They are getting more flexible over time.