Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 "Refreshed" "Refresh" Model S Headlights, Taillights Charge Port, Plaid Badge in the Flesh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is correct.

Imagine a world where Tesla didn’t ditch MobileEye and, instead, just focused on their build quality (software and hardware).

It was a bonehead move to bring AP/FSD development in-house.
I was just saying exactly that to a buddy this weekend. Had a nice long conversation about how maybe Elon was right originally on his prediction of when FSD would be a thing... but he based it on that MobileEye colab.

Reactions: aerodyne
I was just saying exactly that to a buddy this weekend. Had a nice long conversation about how maybe Elon was right originally on his prediction of when FSD would be a thing... but he based it on that MobileEye colab.
Go back to the Autonomy day vid. Look how uncomfortable the engineers on the stage are as Elon makes his predictions. Their body language says it all.

Ha! It’s nowhere close.

AP1 > AP2. In my opinion, the mobile eye solution is the best one they ever implemented. Everything since then has been playing catch up.
120% ! I owned a 2016 90D with AP1 and it was fantastic. No lag period as well so literally drove itself on the highway for 35 min to my house without one touch of the wheel. Held lanes perfectly, sunset was blaring in the front but no phantom braking…it was incredible..6 yrs ago!

FF to today and 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: Mwolfe
It's surprising to me, that in the 5 plus years, there has not been a revolt of AP2 and FSD owners over phantom braking and broken promises, and a large number still believe FSD is coming soon and is worth 12k...
Maybe not on these forums. But with a take rate of less than 12%, they are screaming into the void.

The vast majority of owners simply are not being suckered in.

• Informative
The relationship ended when moron drivers were using AP to test out the limits of the functionality. Back in the day one could sit in the rear of the car after engaging AP and people were stupid enough to try. One specific event of a young kid’s Tesla going right into the underside of a truck rig due to sunlight causing a camera mess up and it was a nightmare for Tesla PR. Tesla quickly blamed Mobileye, Mobileye told them to go 🖕🏽themselves as it was their stupidity for marketing it as more of a self driving software rather than a supporting function only…and the rest is history.

I was part of that group where my AP1 90D stopped receiving any updates or improvements for some time while new AP2.0 owners got sucked into half the functions with twice the cameras.

• Informative
I hate to be contrary but my experience has been the opposite. Moving from Ap1 to Ap2 (basic, non FSD) has shown me that Ap2 works much better for my usage. It is much more stable on curvy sections of interstate/highway that would cause Ap1 to disengage, especially at higher speeds. It is also much more stable and less likely to engage when going over hills on highways. I have less phantom braking as well. YMMV I suppose.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash and aerodyne
I posted some photos of my car on the main delivery thread the other day. Really love the look of the new lights. Figure I would share it here for those wondering what they look like lit. By the way, all 4 matrix lights are always on when headlight is turned on.

DSC_4673.jpeg
DSC_4640.jpeg
DSC_4644.jpeg
DSC_4664.jpeg

I did not take photos of the interior. That should not be any different than any 2021+ refresh.

If you show me an example of what you are looking for, I can take a photo...

First pic is a MF build at a store in LA... Second pic is a NF build.

Attachments

• IMG_20220226_122202163.jpg
    IMG_20220226_122202163.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20220129_113813526.jpg
    IMG_20220129_113813526.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 185
Yep this is what I’ve been waiting for. Didn’t want to buy a half assed refresh. Placed order for plaid last week !

Considering the 2021 refresh til now was only missing these recent headlight and taillight changes, I'm not sure I'd call the rest of the 'under the hood' and interior build updates half-assed 🤔 But I would agree that it would have been better that they had all this done as a package at launch tho... now that, for those of us who have already taken delivery, is annoying!

Considering the 2021 refresh til now was only missing these recent headlight and taillight changes, I'm not sure I'd call the rest of the 'under the hood' and interior build updates half-assed 🤔 But I would agree that it would have been better that they had all this done as a package at launch tho... now that, for those of us who have already taken delivery, is annoying!
Agree it was mostly refreshed with the 2021 S. I placed my order last July for the updated interior but at the time still couldn’t understand why they did not update the tail lights. I think Tesla just couldn’t get them ready and perhaps that is why it was priced lower then. Tesla should somehow make it retrofittable for people who would want to.

Reactions: nilesborg