Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 RWD 18K miles; battery requires replacement, poor service experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 RWD Model 3 with 18k miles that I took delivery of in November. I was presented with the message, "Service required. Schedule service now" and contacted service. They were not able to tell me what the required service was, but some quick searching led me to understand that this is something that the system remotely found and triggered the mesaage. I set up an appointment, but the day before service cancelled the appointment stating that they didn't have the parts in- but wouldn't tell me what part was ordered or, still, what the problem is.

Cut to three weeks later when the next available appointment was in my area, and I'm casually told that it'll likely take all day and they they'll get me a car to use, because they will be replacing the high voltage battery pack. At drop off I'm told it will be later today or tomorrow.

The next day I'm looking to check on progress and I'm locked out of everything in the app due to it being "in service" (this is new for me, I've seen "In service" before, but always had door, window and lock status, climate, etc). I do however had Tessie Control installed and can see that the vehicle hasn't moved since dropping it off at 10am the previous day, that it is outside, and that cabin overheat protection is not enabled- because it is over 120 degrees inside of the car. I call to inquire about the service appointment and am told, "they are shooting for the end of tomorrow." I then ask if the car is outside, and if they have disabled cabin overhead protection because I'm looking at the interior reading 120 currently. I'm told that they will park it under a tree- to which I respond to the negative, that I want them to ensure cabin overhead protection is on. I check the app and see that the temp is dropping. Great- then I see it's going well below 105- in fact currently the thing is full blast "LO" and reading 56 degrees now. I assume they are not even going to touch the car until tomorrow and plan to leave Camp Mode LO going indefinitely. Two things- the battery was at 67%, it's now 61% and it hasn't even been an hour.

Obviously we have a couple hours of this left before the battery is flat. Until then the condenser is just going to be rock and roll? Maybe they will plug it in, then it will run LO until they pull it into service- maybe 20 hours from now. I've tried adjusting the temperature to something reasonable, but I get a 504 error and it reverts to LO. I really don't feel like they are paying attention to my vehicle or concerns.

My questions- Is this reasonable behavior for service to treat these cars this way? Is it okay for my A/C to be going full blast at 56 degrees for a full day? Should I just go get my car and ask them to let me know when they can actually start working on it? Should I be concerned that the battery needs replacement? Should I be concerned with what battery they are putting back in it? I verified that it's going to be an LFP, but should I be concerned with a remanufactured or used battery for a car with only 18K miles? I at least grabbed the specs from the health of my battery from Tessie so that I'm given back the same available capacity in a reman battery- but this whole experience sucks and I feel the lack of transparency, knowledge of the systems and lack of care for my vehicle seems just like any other dealership.

...but this whole experience sucks and I feel the lack of transparency, knowledge of the systems and lack of care for my vehicle seems just like any other dealership.
That is how Tesla Service is. This no Cadillac.

It's like going to a self Service gas station and wonder why the cashier doesn't clean your windshield for you.

Since you are covered by the warranty, Tesla will get you a remanufactured one. You can ask to pay the difference if you want to get a brand new.

When you run out of your warranty, you have an option to pay less for a remanufactured one or pay more for a brand new.

Reactions: Pseudofinn
That is how Tesla Service is. This no Cadillac.

It's like going to a self Service gas station and wonder why the cashier doesn't clean your windshield for you.

Since you are covered by the warranty, Tesla will get you a remanufactured one. You can ask to pay the difference if you want to get a brand new.

When you run out of your warranty, you have an option to pay less for a remanufactured one or pay more for a brand new.
Yeah, I expect to get a remanufactured battery, and while I'm not thrilled- I get it, and fully expect Tesla remanufactures these things properly. As long as it has the 266 miles of range my battery had when I gave it to them- fine. I don't like the lack of transparency when I ask specific questions as to the fault and am told they have no idea, but have ordered parts. I really don't like that they have had my vehicle for 36 hours and haven't done anything but disable cabin overheat protection (camp mode turned off, battery now at 43%, cabin temp is now 100° and climbing) and tell me it's going to be at least another day.

It's clearly just another poorly functioning dealership service department like everyone else has. Disappointing.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I have a 2022 RWD Model 3 with 18k miles that I took delivery of in November. I was presented with the message, "Service required. Schedule service now" and contacted service. They were not able to tell me what the required service was, but some quick searching led me to understand that this is something that the system remotely found and triggered the mesaage. I set up an appointment, but the day before service cancelled the appointment stating that they didn't have the parts in- but wouldn't tell me what part was ordered or, still, what the problem is.

Cut to three weeks later when the next available appointment was in my area, and I'm casually told that it'll likely take all day and they they'll get me a car to use, because they will be replacing the high voltage battery pack. At drop off I'm told it will be later today or tomorrow.

The next day I'm looking to check on progress and I'm locked out of everything in the app due to it being "in service" (this is new for me, I've seen "In service" before, but always had door, window and lock status, climate, etc). I do however had Tessie Control installed and can see that the vehicle hasn't moved since dropping it off at 10am the previous day, that it is outside, and that cabin overheat protection is not enabled- because it is over 120 degrees inside of the car. I call to inquire about the service appointment and am told, "they are shooting for the end of tomorrow." I then ask if the car is outside, and if they have disabled cabin overhead protection because I'm looking at the interior reading 120 currently. I'm told that they will park it under a tree- to which I respond to the negative, that I want them to ensure cabin overhead protection is on. I check the app and see that the temp is dropping. Great- then I see it's going well below 105- in fact currently the thing is full blast "LO" and reading 56 degrees now. I assume they are not even going to touch the car until tomorrow and plan to leave Camp Mode LO going indefinitely. Two things- the battery was at 67%, it's now 61% and it hasn't even been an hour.

Obviously we have a couple hours of this left before the battery is flat. Until then the condenser is just going to be rock and roll? Maybe they will plug it in, then it will run LO until they pull it into service- maybe 20 hours from now. I've tried adjusting the temperature to something reasonable, but I get a 504 error and it reverts to LO. I really don't feel like they are paying attention to my vehicle or concerns.

My questions- Is this reasonable behavior for service to treat these cars this way? Is it okay for my A/C to be going full blast at 56 degrees for a full day? Should I just go get my car and ask them to let me know when they can actually start working on it? Should I be concerned that the battery needs replacement? Should I be concerned with what battery they are putting back in it? I verified that it's going to be an LFP, but should I be concerned with a remanufactured or used battery for a car with only 18K miles? I at least grabbed the specs from the health of my battery from Tessie so that I'm given back the same available capacity in a reman battery- but this whole experience sucks and I feel the lack of transparency, knowledge of the systems and lack of care for my vehicle seems just like any other dealership.
This sounds like better than normal service now a days.. base model teslas flooding the centers is why service is such *sugar* now.. back in the day it was great

• Funny
LOL- well, no worries... I was PRETTY thinly veiled- I certainly and absolutely caught it with my cheap ass SR+... OPE! MODEL 3 RWD!! I appreciate you Kimmi! ❤️

Is there really that much hate here from the "OGs"?

I mean, I put my FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR ***BASE MODEL*** car in service because I drove it ***18k miles*** and the TESLA f@&$ing battery ***DID*** start to fail- so WT actual F on the brand you hold so precious that a pleb like me would be so foolish to think he could join ranks? Thank you for noticing me, sir! <rolls eyes>

When I was driving a MINI, I was thrilled every time I came across another MINI owner. We would wave at each other. Thought I joined another group of people and minds here. I thought we were all on 'the mission' together? I was told we were doing something different here. Didn't realize it came with a sticker price that some of y'all didn't agree with! I didn't realize I was ruining your cool. LMAO

🤦‍♂️😂💰🔥📢😎🤟

LOL- well, no worries... I was PRETTY thinly veiled- I certainly and absolutely caught it with my cheap ass SR+... OPE! MODEL 3 RWD!! I appreciate you Kimmi! ❤️

Is there really that much hate here from the "OGs"?

I mean, I put my FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR ***BASE MODEL*** car in service because I drove it ***18k miles*** and the TESLA f@&$ing battery ***DID*** start to fail- so WT actual F on the brand you hold so precious that a pleb like me would be so foolish to think he could join ranks? Thank you for noticing me, sir! <rolls eyes>

When I was driving a MINI, I was thrilled every time I came across another MINI owner. We would wave at each other. Thought I joined another group of people and minds here. I thought we were all on 'the mission' together? I was told we were doing something different here. Didn't realize it came with a sticker price that some of y'all didn't agree with! I didn't realize I was ruining your cool. LMAO

🤦‍♂️😂💰🔥📢😎🤟
I came from 20 years of Lexus ownership. The car makes up for crappy service! 1-1/2 years old with 15K. Only service has been the recall for A/C sensors and cabin filter change. It took them 3 days to do the job!

I came from 20 years of Lexus ownership. The car makes up for crappy service! 1-1/2 years old with 15K. Only service has been the recall for A/C sensors and cabin filter change. It took them 3 days to do the job!
If 'service remains the same' is the worst thing about Tesla ownership- I'll take it! It's been a dream so far from BMW/MINI.

They say another day, I know they are basically a dealership service franchise, so I'll assume I get it back in the next week. In the meantime, the massive improvements over this P100D they gave me as a loaner is leaving me quite appreciative of my M3. Sure the thing is super fast and all, but I'd take the new 3 over an older model S or X (spent plenty of time with both) ANY day. The old regen brakes on both of them felt almost sloppy and strange. So did the clicky blinker stalks that I haven't had in several makes now. I thought my Dad's '17 MS was a spaceship when he got it- these new units are a generational leap beyond. It's really almost comical how far they have come in such a short time. It's more than exciting to follow the company.

Reactions: Dayreg
I recall the service center was great before 2020. 2020 was the last service center visit on my 2015 MS 85D.

My recent service center visit on my Model X is OK but not great. Fast forward, I have another service center visit on MX this Friday. Not looking forward to it, but I gotta pay them a visit as there is no alternative. (see my other post regarding folding mirror not covered by 4-year basic warranty)

I recall the service center was great before 2020. 2020 was the last service center visit on my 2015 MS 85D.

My recent service center visit on my Model X is OK but not great. Fast forward, I have another service center visit on MX this Friday. Not looking forward to it, but I gotta pay them a visit as there is no alternative. (see my other post regarding folding mirror not covered by 4-year basic warranty)
Hey neighbor! I'm from Burlington too and got a 2015 P90DL. Haven't seen yours around town though. I have seen that beautiful red P85D though.