Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 S Tall Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first post. Am scheduled to take delivery this weekend of a 2022 S LR, blue, white interior, 19 inch wheels, RN1146. Unfortunately the car was delivered to the dealer with the summer tires in Illinois so will be ordering set of all seasons as opposed to waiting for Tesla to have a set to install. Delivery location is 2 1/2 hours from me. Given the temperatures and the current tires I won't be driving the car home and will either be having it trucked to me or make a second trip down after new tires are installed. Part of me thinks I should not even bother going down and should just buy the car and have delivered. Ignoring possible quality control issues, my concern is buying a car I have not sat in when I am 6'5". I have a 2021 3 and fit great in it. The seats in the early Model Ss did not work for me as the headrest was too low and hit me in the shoulders. The seats in a 2020 S worked fine for me. Any comments on how tall people fit compared to a 3? Still adequate headroom without feeling like one is looking out top of windshield? Leg room? I know the dimensions are supposedly the same as the 3 but in other cars my leg room has not matched the listed legroom numbers. Some cars I have sat in, with the driver's seat all the way back, the shoulder strap is several inches away which to me is not safe. On the 3 the strap fits me properly. Also wondering if the flat bottom of the yoke might hit my knees when turning.
Just looking for any thoughts. And, other part of me thinks I should just buy it, have it trucked to me, and if I do not like it sell it as given my pre-increase purchase price and the apparent demand for them perhaps I could sell it and not lose anything. Thanks for reading this long first post and any thoughts anyone might have.

Reactions: UltradoomY
Long time lurker, first post. Am scheduled to take delivery this weekend of a 2022 S LR, blue, white interior, 19 inch wheels, RN1146. Unfortunately the car was delivered to the dealer with the summer tires in Illinois so will be ordering set of all seasons as opposed to waiting for Tesla to have a set to install. Delivery location is 2 1/2 hours from me. Given the temperatures and the current tires I won't be driving the car home and will either be having it trucked to me or make a second trip down after new tires are installed. Part of me thinks I should not even bother going down and should just buy the car and have delivered. Ignoring possible quality control issues, my concern is buying a car I have not sat in when I am 6'5". I have a 2021 3 and fit great in it. The seats in the early Model Ss did not work for me as the headrest was too low and hit me in the shoulders. The seats in a 2020 S worked fine for me. Any comments on how tall people fit compared to a 3? Still adequate headroom without feeling like one is looking out top of windshield? Leg room? I know the dimensions are supposedly the same as the 3 but in other cars my leg room has not matched the listed legroom numbers. Some cars I have sat in, with the driver's seat all the way back, the shoulder strap is several inches away which to me is not safe. On the 3 the strap fits me properly. Also wondering if the flat bottom of the yoke might hit my knees when turning.
Just looking for any thoughts. And, other part of me thinks I should just buy it, have it trucked to me, and if I do not like it sell it as given my pre-increase purchase price and the apparent demand for them perhaps I could sell it and not lose anything. Thanks for reading this long first post and any thoughts anyone might have.
6'4 here - had a 2019 and 2021.5 and have zero issues with the seats / headroom. The seats do sit taller. There is some discussion on that here Refresh Seat Height. The bottom of the yoke does not hit my knees or get close to it.

I'm also 6'4" and LOVE my Model S. No problems with the roof messing up my hairstyle. Great fit. If I lived near you I'd offer that you could come drive mine, but even if you don't get to drive one first, you won't have any problems. If you've got the money, the S is the Best.
Thank you! Will be sitting in it
and deciding tomorrow.

Thank you! Will be sitting in it
and deciding tomorrow.
The 2021+ has more legroom than my 2018 S. I’m 6-3 and the seat actually goes back farther than I need, so there is room to spare. The headroom is also great. So the biggest difference is lack of adjustable headrest. Fine for me with seat rear lowered. I keep the yoke all the way down so it’s easy to hold corner with arm on the armrest, but this does make it possible for yoke corner to hit my leg if it’s not flat when turning.

Anyway, I think there are enough seat adjustments and range to be very comfortable.

Thanks! Sat in the S today. More legroom than my 3. Less headroom than my 3 but still more than enough. Lower roofline does affect visibility as am looking through top of windshield. But given how beautiful the car is, I am getting it. Thanks so much for all of the input. Now just have to figure out whether I am having it trucked home or left at Tesla until I can buy and have installed some all season tires.

I don’t get how taller guys than me 5’-9” can drive normal with their legs stretched???
I Have my drivers seat all the way back!!!
The knees definitely get pushed up, but not enough to hit the yoke or be uncomfortable. That said, on longer road trips, I am constantly stretching my legs to the left of the pedals (on autopilot) to get them fully extended. I really wish the back of the console was open so that I could fully extend / rest my right leg and foot in there.

Yes, I would probably be more comfortable in an X, but I love my S.

What is the hip/entry height on the S? That is what concerns me most with a bad lower back. I am scheduled to pick up my car LR next week and plan to default my garage to the Very High height but still worried this will be a low entry as compared to my Y