Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shareholder vote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
Place to discuss the upcoming proposals.

Agenda ItemBoard Vote Recommendation
Tesla Proposals
1.A Tesla proposal to elect two Class III directors to serve for a term of three years, subject to the approval of Proposal Two, or until their respective successors are duly elected and qualified (“Proposal One”).“FOR”
2.A Tesla proposal for adoption of amendments to certificate of incorporation to reduce director terms to two years (“Proposal Two”).“FOR”
3.A Tesla proposal for adoption of amendments to certificate of incorporation and bylaws to eliminate applicable supermajority voting requirements (“Proposal Three”).“FOR”
4.A Tesla proposal for adoption of amendments to certification of incorporation to increase the number of authorized shares of common stock by 4,000,000,000 shares (“Proposal Four”).“FOR”
5.A Tesla proposal to ratify the appointment of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP as Tesla’s independent registered public accounting firm for the fiscal year ending December 31, 2022 (“Proposal Five”).“FOR”
Stockholder Proposals
6.A stockholder proposal regarding proxy access, if properly presented (“Proposal Six”).“AGAINST”
7.A stockholder proposal regarding annual reporting on anti-harassment and discrimination efforts, if properly presented (“Proposal Seven”).“AGAINST”
8.A stockholder proposal regarding annual reporting on board diversity, if properly presented (“Proposal Eight”).“AGAINST”
9.A stockholder proposal regarding reporting on employee arbitration, if properly presented (“Proposal Nine”).“AGAINST”
10.A stockholder proposal regarding reporting on lobbying, if properly presented (“Proposal Ten”).“AGAINST”
11.A stockholder proposal regarding adoption of a freedom of association and collective bargaining policy, if properly presented (“Proposal Eleven”).“AGAINST”
12.A stockholder proposal regarding additional reporting on child labor, if properly presented (“Proposal Twelve”).“AGAINST”
13.A stockholder proposal regarding additional reporting on water risk, if properly presented (“Proposal Thirteen”).“AGAINST”

link to full text and board rational:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001318605/000156459022024064/tsla-def14a_20220804.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Skipdd
I believe that Elon trusts the Board . . .and my bet is on Elon . . . so I vote with the Board recommendations.
Even when copying my homework off the smartest kid in the class I still like to double-check my answers before submitting
😋

I voted with the board except for item 7.

I don't think Tesla is racist or anything, but we know for a fact from some of the CA lawsuit disclosures they've hilariously and embarrassingly underfunded having a proper HR department for many years that could actually handle issues and it's something I want them to fix because it will continue to be a source of unforced errors otherwise. Such a report might help.

I believe that Elon trusts the Board . . .and my bet is on Elon . . . so I vote with the Board recommendations.
Did you even read the items in the “against” section? Or are we not including stockholder proposals?

Reporting on diversity, child labor, and anti-harassment are “no-no’s” for you?

This is why everyone should maybe look at what’s on the agenda, draw their own conclusions, and stop blindly following Lord Musk off the cliff.

Did you even read the items in the “against” section? Or are we not including stockholder proposals?

This is why everyone should maybe look at what’s on the agenda, draw their own conclusions, and stop blindly following Lord Musk off the cliff.
One, @The Accountant did not say those topics were "no-nos"
Two, if you read the proxy, you would see the board rationale, such as they already vett and report on child labor and the same proposal was voted down last year.
Opposing Statement of the Board

The Board has considered this proposal and determined that it would not serve the best interests of Tesla or our stockholders.

As we noted in response to the proposal requesting additional reporting regarding human rights that was presented by the same proponent at the 2021 annual meeting of stockholders, which was rejected by Tesla’s stockholders, Tesla’s annual Impact Report already describes how human rights values, including those related to child labor, are respected in our operations. The proponent’s justification for additional reporting on child labor appears to be based on legal proceedings that have been dismissed by the court, and the proponent uses the argument made by the defendants in their motion to dismiss to imply that Tesla, as a defendant, is not taking action to identify and eliminate child labor from its supply chain. In fact, protecting human rights is core to Tesla’s procurement strategy and the position taken in these proceedings that our actions could not have met the standard for legal causation does nothing to undermine that fact. Indeed, because Tesla recognizes the risk of human rights issues within global cobalt supply chains, we have established and implemented a supply chain due diligence management system aligned with the OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Mineral Supply Chains from Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Countries. We are one of the few downstream companies that publicly report through our Impact Report on how we follow each of the five steps set out in the Guidance, including how we identify (including through audits) and mitigate risks (for its part, the OECD has identified reporting on risk mitigation as being very weak across the industry). As stated in the Impact Report, in the event that modern slavery, child labor or human trafficking is identified in our supply chain and has not been remediated by the supplier within a reasonable time frame, Tesla will transition away from that supplier.

Based on the risk identification procedures mentioned below and described more fully in our Impact Report, Tesla does in fact disclose in our Impact Report that we have found no evidence to date of Tesla causing, contributing to or being linked to child labor, modern slavery or human trafficking in our supply chain. In fact, we can be more confident of this than other OEMs due to our unique sourcing strategy: Rather than relying on companies that typically sit between OEMs and mining companies, we source our cobalt directly from mine sites. This means we can be more confident about where our cobalt comes from and can confirm, based on best practice risk identification, that we do not source from artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM), which is typically at risk of child labor. Rather, we source our cobalt from industrial mines, where no child labor has been identified to date.

In addition, we conduct our own audits of the mine sites and refiners in our cobalt supply chain and review results from third-party industry audit programs such as the Responsible Minerals Initiative (RMI)’s Responsible Minerals Assurance Process (RMAP). In 2021, 83% of refiners and mine sites in Tesla’s battery supply chain either underwent or committed to undergo independent external sustainability audits against RMAP and responsible mining standards. This was complemented by our own audits that assessed how specific cobalt and precursor suppliers conducted due diligence on their supply chain on OECD Annex II risks, which include child labor.

In 2021, a Tesla delegation conducted an on-the-ground assessment on environmental and social conditions in the DRC. While we do not source from ASM, the trip to the DRC helped us understand the importance of ASM for local livelihoods. This is why we fund and sit on the Steering Committee of the Fair Cobalt Alliance (FCA), a multi-stakeholder initiative to support the improvement of conditions in communities impacted by ASM. One of the achievements of the FCA is the development of referral system for children engaged in mining activities, including child labor notification protocol, remediation solution packages, and guidelines for case managers on remediation steps, and trainings related to child rights. One of the reasons for this support is to show that – despite not having identified it in our supply chain – we understand that child labor is an existing challenge in the DRC that requires structural solutions.

Tesla remains confident in our efforts and commitment to ensuring child labor is not part of our supply chain, and that our publicly available policies and disclosures already provide robust and transparent information on these matters.

The Board recommends a vote AGAINST the stockholder proposal regarding additional reporting on child labor.

I am for diversity, against child labor and for anti-harassment.
What is a no-no for me is the reporting.
It usually adds millions of dollars in bureaucratic reporting only to have someone grab the data and run FUD with it.
That's only my opinion but I am cool with any one voting for these measures.

Board response re arbitration:

The Board has considered this proposal and determined that it would not serve the best interests of Tesla or our stockholders. As with the similar proposal presented by this proponent at the 2020 and 2021 annual meetings of stockholders, both of which were rejected by Tesla’s stockholders, the proponent cites inaccurate and unsupported assertions regarding arbitration and its alleged impact on workplace conditions at Tesla.

Much of the proposal has been obviated due to a recent change in the law. As the proponent recognizes, the Ending Forced Arbitration of Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment Act now prohibits employers from enforcing standard arbitration provisions for these types of claims that arise after the date of the law’s enactment. Tesla will fully comply with the new law and has already taken steps to amend the standard arbitration clause in its new hire agreement. Obviously, there is no need for Tesla to issue a report about the effects of arbitration on the existence of sexual harassment in the workplace when such claims will no longer be arbitrable, unless the employee so chooses.

Still, Congress has not ended arbitration for other types of workplace claims, and Tesla continues to believe that arbitration remains the best method for resolving such disputes.

The proponent incorrectly asserts that there is a connection between arbitration and workplace culture. Tesla has a zero-tolerance policy for harassment of any kind, and we have always disciplined and terminated employees who engage in misconduct, including those who use racial slurs or harass others in different ways. We have a dedicated Employee Relations team that responds to and investigates all such complaints. This year, we rolled out an additional training program that reinforces Tesla’s requirement that all employees must treat each other with respect and reminds employees about the numerous ways they can report concerns, including anonymously. Above all, Tesla continues to seek to provide a workplace that is safe, respectful, fair and inclusive—all of which are vital to achieving our mission.

Contrary to what the proponent claims, Tesla’s standard arbitration provision specifically states that the parties are entitled to all remedies available in a court of law. The fact that a claim is not adjudicated by a court or does not have certain procedural aspects does not mean that legal remedies are not available through arbitration. Arbitration offers an alternative form of adjudication by an experienced jurist selected with both parties’ participation that is often quicker than a court trial, especially in jurisdictions where courts are overburdened. The overall expediency benefits both parties with a fair resolution and a speedier return to their respective priorities without miring them in lengthy litigation. The proponent fails to acknowledge that there are potential downsides to litigating matters in court, including costs associated with delays and the risk of jury verdicts that are untethered to the evidence presented and based on bias and emotion, rather than reality. Broken judicial systems may benefit plaintiff’s lawyers, but they do not benefit stockholders.

The proponent also fails to explain how arbitration prevents Tesla employees from learning about shared concerns or reduces willingness to report claims. Tesla has been built upon a culture of open communication, and employees have the right to freely discuss the terms and conditions of employment and to raise complaints internally or externally. An employee is free to publicize the results of an arbitration (as long as it excludes any trade secrets or proprietary business information), and to initiate a lawsuit by first filing a complaint in court. Arbitration does nothing to silence alleged victims.

As we pledged in our annual Impact Report, Tesla designed its workplace and policies to provide all employees with a respectful and safe working environment by not tolerating any discrimination, harassment, retaliation or any other mistreatment at work, whether based on a legally protected status or otherwise. On the other hand, the proponent’s one-size-fits-all goal appears to be that every company simply eliminate employee arbitration without considering such commitments and action. The proponent makes conclusory statements about other companies and their arbitration policies without considering or specifying how such other companies may or may not be similarly situated to Tesla.

We reiterate that Tesla, its employees and its stockholders would be better served by continuing to execute on our mission and tangible workplace goals rather than devote attention and resources to reporting on an inaccurately characterized issue for which the proponent has identified no tangible benefit to Tesla, its workers or its stockholders.

The Board recommends a vote AGAINST the stockholder proposal regarding reporting on employee arbitration.

Regarding board demographics

The Board has considered this proposal and determined that it would not serve the best interests of Tesla or our stockholders.

Tesla is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) principles at all levels of our organization. We use a people-first and data-driven approach to champion DEI in our business and in the communities in which we operate.

In the “Process and Considerations for Nominating Board Candidates” section, our proxy statement already includes detailed disclosures about the criteria our Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee considers when nominating Board candidates. Diversity is included as one of the important factors. Two of the three directors we added in the past four years are gender, racially and/or ethnically diverse and the chairperson of our Board is a woman. In 2021 and 2022, we enhanced our disclosures by reporting the gender and racial composition of the Board in our Impact Report, and beginning in 2022 we have similarly made such disclosures in our proxy statement regarding Board diversity. In addition, to underscore our commitment to diversity and provide additional transparency, we began providing EEO-1 data for US employees in our Impact Report beginning in 2022.

The Committee conducts annual evaluations of our Board effectiveness, providing it with an opportunity to examine whether our Board members have the right composition of skills and experiences. When identifying and recommending new candidates, the Committee continues to consider opportunities to increase our Board diversity in a way that supports the current and anticipated needs of the Company.

For these reasons, we believe that the current scope of Tesla’s reporting is appropriate in that it provides stockholders with visibility into our Board demographics and the steps we have taken to successfully increase the Board’s diversity.

The Board recommends a vote AGAINST the stockholder proposal regarding annual reporting on board diversity.

I am for diversity, against child labor and for anti-harassment.
What is a no-no for me is the reporting.
It usually adds millions of dollars in bureaucratic reporting only to have someone grab the data and run FUD with it.
That's only my opinion but I am cool with any one voting for these measures.
So you’re for it in theory, just not in practice when it impacts the bottom line.

That’s another way of saying you’re not for it.

So you’re for it in theory, just not in practice when it impacts the bottom line.

That’s another way of saying you’re not for it.

it's really not.

Any more than your posts are saying you're for wasting millions to report on things they already report on elsewhere.

The board members are public. Why would $ spent on a report about the diversity of board members be anything other than a 100% waste of time and money?

The kids stuff is already covered in the sustainability report (which itself is already much more detailed reporting that we get on this stuff from legacy auto companies) so again why would additional time and money spent on ANOTHER report about this be anything but a 100% waste of time and money?

Well, actually it kind of DOES sound like you're for exactly that. My bad!

it's really not.

Any more than your posts are saying you're for wasting millions to report on things they already report on elsewhere.

The board members are public. Why would $ spent on a report about the diversity of board members be anything other than a 100% waste of time and money?

Well, actually it kind DOES sound like you're for exactly that. My bad!
And it's not as if there are 10,000 board members.

Reactions: bkp_duke and CLK350
You sure there isn’t another reason they don’t want to update their reporting standards?

Given neither a report on congo child labor, nor one reporting the already-public-info of the diversity of board members, would address anything in your link, are you sure you aren't trolling?

You sure there isn’t another reason they don’t want to update their reporting standards?

Yes, that reason is the stockholders haven't supported this in any previous vote after the board has already considered it and determined that what they already do is more than adequate to address the issue.

I trust the board to micromanage these things without my assistance (interference), and am satisfied with their work to date.

As for my vote, I don't carry enough personal guilt about being human that virtue signaling would do anything for me.

Last edited: