Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the avoidance of any speculation, I have just heard from my TA at Cribbs who has confirmed that there is definitely nothing at sea coming to the UK yet. He has said that the sailing takes between 3 and 4 weeks and that in a couple of weeks (towards the end of January) he would be prepared to provide much more clarity about shipping and delivery for February. He has also confirmed that there will be no deliveries to the UK during January. He also confirmed that any dates being issued by any leasing company are purely speculative at this stage as Tesla UK themselves do not yet know about shipping dates. Bottom line is we will have to exercise that rare gift of patience (not my strong point) for a little longer :)
Don’t want to name anyone but was your TA an old captain in Star Trek? If so he’s the same one that told me that 10/02/22 lines up lol!

Reactions: jmhumphreys
Mr M, I see there are a number of vehicle carrier vessels at an anchorage off Shanghai (assuming that the positions are up to date).

In your experience is this often the case? or is it a case of preparing to ship as much as possible pre- Chinese New Year?
I see:
Goodwood
Daedalus Leader
Capricornus Leader
Hoegh Target
Hoegh Traveller
Glovis Stella
Elegant Ace
Gracious Ace
Yep there are a lot of car carriers off Shanghai and this is quite normal. The 2 main piers can service up to 4 ships per day. The high utilisation of the RoRo piers mean that if a ship misses it's booked slot it could end up waiting a week or so.
It's worth remembering that Shanghai is used not only to export cars but to import as well and of course Tesla is just one manufacturer.
I try and find out the itineraries of vessels due to call at Shanghai wherever possible in advance and so when a ship does turn up I usually have a record of its forthcoming itinerary. This is useful to sort out the chaff from the wheat. It actually only reduces the total by 50 -60% though.

Oooh, interesting thread! I've just placed my order and the website estimated March, so I guess I might make it into this batch. Just to make sure I'm understanding, the shipping time to the UK will take about 30 day + whatever time it takes to get from the port in the UK to Tesla at Cribb's Causeway? And they usually tell you a narrowed down delivery date when they've matched you with a car as it is being loaded into a ship? So am I right in thinking therefore that I'll have about a month's notice between Tesla telling me more exactly when I'm getting the car and my pickup day? Or put another way, if Tesla haven't given me a narrowed down delivery date, I know I still have at least 30 days and probably a bit more still to wait?
You're likely to be provided with a delivery date, even if tentative, once the car is unloaded in Southampton. "Matching" means your order will be assigned the VIN of a produced car, and that usually happens when the car is loaded onto the RORO ship in Shanghai. You might need to search the source code of the order page in your Tesla account, though, as the text from Tesla letting you know you've been assigned a VIN might arrive much later. There are instructions on how to do this in last year's shipping thread (and many other places in the forum).

Oooh, interesting thread! I've just placed my order and the website estimated March, so I guess I might make it into this batch. Just to make sure I'm understanding, the shipping time to the UK will take about 30 day + whatever time it takes to get from the port in the UK to Tesla at Cribb's Causeway? And they usually tell you a narrowed down delivery date when they've matched you with a car as it is being loaded into a ship? So am I right in thinking therefore that I'll have about a month's notice between Tesla telling me more exactly when I'm getting the car and my pickup day? Or put another way, if Tesla haven't given me a narrowed down delivery date, I know I still have at least 30 days and probably a bit more still to wait?
Don't want to be a bummer, but I've placed an order for M3 on November 8th with an estimated delivery for December at the time of order... Got postponed to February/March. Then again, there were people who had ordered a week or two later and got their cars in December (I ordered LR without any modifications, while theirs had paid option paint jobs, so that may be the reason).

Don't want to be a bummer, but I've placed an order for M3 on November 8th with an estimated delivery for December at the time of order... Got postponed to February/March. Then again, there were people who had ordered a week or two later and got their cars in December (I ordered LR without any modifications, while theirs had paid option paint jobs, so that may be the reason).
I found similar. When I ordered my M3RWD in December all standard spec cars (pearl white with aero wheels) were listed for May delivery. If I added sport wheels it brought the delivery date forward to February.

GLOVIS COMPANION and HOEGH TRAVELLER approaching Shanghai Harbour ... hopefully they will pick the right pier, crossed fingers :)

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-05 um 15.56.56.png

I just had a call with local Tesla who say there's a shipment due in mid Feb... Any theories what boat that may be? The question that's burning is would this ship be full of the NEW 2022 refresh versions, or could it have left Shanghai with old stock?

My brain can't cope with the production > storage > ship > destination > tesla pickup timelines and time frames. I wonder when the new refresh models will start to filter to pickup / collection points.

GLOVIS COMPANION is on my watch list and she is just about to dock in Shanghai. I can't find an itinerary for her and so I am figuring that she may be chartered to Tesla. I wouldn't expect her to depart until this time tomorrow at the earliest.
HOEGH TRAVELLER is loading at the same time but she is on a scheduled service and will end up in Zeebrugge around 12 Feb after stops in Greece and Italy. Tesla has used this service previously to ship some cars to Zeebrugge and so the chances are that some Teslas will be loaded on her.

I just had a call with local Tesla who say there's a shipment due in mid Feb... Any theories what boat that may be? The question that's burning is would this ship be full of the NEW 2022 refresh versions, or could it have left Shanghai with old stock?

My brain can't cope with the production > storage > ship > destination > tesla pickup timelines and time frames. I wonder when the new refresh models will start to filter to pickup / collection points.
No ship has left yet.
What is old stock? This is Tesla. Unlike other manufacturers Tesla do not have disused airfields stockpiled with cars.
The next ship to depart to the UK will have cars that are not only 2022 spec but will actually have been manufactured in 2022 too.

GLOVIS COMPANION is on my watch list and she is just about to dock in Shanghai. I can't find an itinerary for her and so I am figuring that she may be chartered to Tesla. I wouldn't expect her to depart until this time tomorrow at the earliest.
HOEGH TRAVELLER is loading at the same time but she is on a scheduled service and will end up in Zeebrugge around 12 Feb after stops in Greece and Italy. Tesla has used this service previously to ship some cars to Zeebrugge and so the chances are that some Teslas will be loaded on her.
So .. adding a few commme re together: it seems a bit of noise coming out of Tesla and Lease co’s saying end of Feb/March - Tesla saying to a couple of us that we’ll get updates in the next few days.. that ties into Glovis Companion maybe being loaded next 24 hrs and settting off for UK? Maybe getting here start of Feb then a couple of weeks for processing etc? One quick .. but big .. question… this will be the first lot coming in post Brexit. Though I know brexit won’t effect any China import directly there may be knock on with delays etc caused by the new Paperwork/processes for European imports exports slowing everything down? Is that being expected?

So .. adding a few commme re together: it seems a bit of noise coming out of Tesla and Lease co’s saying end of Feb/March - Tesla saying to a couple of us that we’ll get updates in the next few days.. that ties into Glovis Companion maybe being loaded next 24 hrs and settting off for UK? Maybe getting here start of Feb then a couple of weeks for processing etc? One quick .. but big .. question… this will be the first lot coming in post Brexit. Though I know brexit won’t effect any China import directly there may be knock on with delays etc caused by the new Paperwork/processes for European imports exports slowing everything down? Is that being expected?
Cars will start to be delivered and distributed from Southampton within a day or so of arrival. It costs money to leave a car in the docks.
There are no Brexit ramifications/delays or even changes to paperwork requirements since the cars are coming from China. (WTO MFN terms as before)

Last edited:
Reactions: jmhumphreys
I'm loving this ship tracking thread! :D I guess when I know I've been matched I'll be able to take an educated guess of which ship I'm on from this thread and when friends and family ask about my new Tesla will be able to say things like "it isn't here yet, but it is believed to be in this part of the Indian Ocean" or similar. Will be nice to be able to follow my car's adventures!

In conversation with the chap at Tesla today he told me they're expecting their next lot of cars to arrive in mid-Feb. I guess unless I'm very lucky mine won't be on that boat as I've just ordered and sounds like some of you have already been waiting a while. But I am interested in hearing about those cars when they arrive to know whether they got MCU3 or not.

I'm loving this ship tracking thread! :D I guess when I know I've been matched I'll be able to take an educated guess of which ship I'm on from this thread and when friends and family ask about my new Tesla will be able to say things like "it isn't here yet, but it is believed to be in this part of the Indian Ocean" or similar. Will be nice to be able to follow my car's adventures!

In conversation with the chap at Tesla today he told me they're expecting their next lot of cars to arrive in mid-Feb. I guess unless I'm very lucky mine won't be on that boat as I've just ordered and sounds like some of you have already been waiting a while. But I am interested in hearing about those cars when they arrive to know whether they got MCU3 or not.
Seems to chime with some Tesla stores saying they expect to have MY's available for test drives around mid-Feb too. That would mean shipping out in the next week or so. Ordered mine on day 1 so hoping to be among the first deliveries... Tesla-roulette permitting. 🤞

I really hope these have new Ryzen chips 🤞

Status
Not open for further replies.