Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is this thread so addictive? I’m not expecting my MYLR until the end of the year but I still check this thread three or four times a day 🤷🏻‍♂️
Because that is what makes it so much fun!

For me I’m in awe at the whole scale of the operation - so little predictability, and yet so much!

Can’t wait for Mr M’s next “GLOVIS X is heading for Shanghai South!” message! (I bet GLOVIS themselves can’t either…. $$$$)

• Disagree
Reactions: James7C2
Because that is what makes it so much fun!

For me I’m in awe at the whole scale of the operation - so little predictability, and yet so much!

Can’t wait for Mr M’s next “GLOVIS X is heading for Shanghai South!” message! (I bet GLOVIS themselves can’t either…. $$$$)
Rumour has it that Glovis find out when a ship is due to Shanghai South when they check this forum

I would agree and the feedback from the delivery centres is that there is no sense of rush either. It would seem that lessons learned from previous quarters have been actioned - handovers are not rushed, cars are properly prepared, delivery centres are properly manned and the staff appear unpressured. It seems that Tesla have matured in their outlook and management are doing management sxxt.
I hope it can be repeated over the forthcoming Christmas.
Really interesting as I am due to get car delivered 27th but had a text asking if I could collect due to “potential delivery issues”. If not they would look at a later date so clearly not the rush there has been in the past

• Disagree
Up in Drammen, Norway there remain plenty of black and white MY on the dockside to be shifted.
These will probably be supplemented with MIC vehicles arriving on Monday on AUTO ACHIEVE.
It will be interesting to see Drammen turn around Auto Achieve and Morning Laura in the same day, and exactly where they are going to put all the cars, as the port appears already half full

Since shipping is winding down for the quarter hopefully I will get away with this only shipping adjacent question on this thread :)
Based on the ships what do we think will be the total of M3 and MY to the UK this month.
I can see MY potentially being a clear No1 in UK sales for the month and would not be surprised if the M3 made an appearance in the top 10 as well?

It will be significantly cheaper to ship them from Berlin than Fremont at the moment so there is a kind of logic behind this.
There are lots of empty ships presently on the EU to Asia routes. That may change if and when the EU car industry gets back in business but projections for the next year at least would suggest that isn't going to happen as fast as some are hoping.
The flip side is that MS/MX unit costs to Taiwan will now be much more expensive.
Taiwan is expected to get the first batch of Berlin-made Model Y's in mid-October 2022 (and in large quantities), do you have any idea which ship these MY's might be on?

Taiwan is expected to get the first batch of Berlin-made Model Y's in mid-October 2022 (and in large quantities), do you have any idea which ship these MY's might be on?
That's a challenge!
So we don't know when the ship is due to arrive and we don't know really where it's coming from (Bremerhaven, Koper, Zeebrugge, Barcelona...).
OK. Let's assume it will be Bremerhaven. Let's also assume that the ship is already on its way and should arrrive around 10 Oct ish. This would suggest the ship is already south of Suez.
As far as I can tell there is nothing heading direct to Taiwan.
The ship may stop at Singapore for a refuel, in which case we have DIVINE ACE, as a possibility, or possibly RCC AMSTERDAM.
There are others but without a bit more information I'm struggling to nail down the most likely ship.
Another possibility, one north of Suez, could be MORNING CECILIE. We might be able to exclude her once she is south of Suez.

Last edited:
Reactions: brightfuture70
Apologies if this has been covered already, ban anyone enlighten me on the thinking behind Taiwan receiving MiG ModelY instead of them coming from Shanghai?

Logistically it doesn't make sense to me. Feels like there'll be a lot of ships crossing paths in the Suez

Also possibly cheaper as there are a more cars travelling from China to Europe than the other direction, meaning that instead of going back to China empty, they can take cargo. So economics of supply and demand at play?
Definitely geo-political - no way China would export to Taiwan and no way Taiwan would import from China. They would import from Fremont if there was no Berlin.

Reactions: SteelmanMFC
Definitely geo-political - no way China would export to Taiwan and no way Taiwan would import from China. They would import from Fremont if there was no Berlin.
Not necessarily, things are not that simple.... take iPhones (another US designed product that is assembled in China...)... The majority of phones are assembled by Foxconn (A Taiwanese company) in a large factory in Zhengzhou.... some of which are then shipped to Taiwan for sale by Apple.

The geo-political trade is rarely simply black and white...

Reactions: S3XY T3SLA
Not necessarily, things are not that simple.... take iPhones (another US designed product that is assembled in China...)... The majority of phones are assembled by Foxconn (A Taiwanese company) in a large factory in Zhengzhou.... some of which are then shipped to Taiwan for sale by Apple.

The geo-political trade is rarely simply black and white...
Unlike the model Y which well be getting shipped from Berlin, which will, for the foreseeable be purely black and white

TURANDOT has departed from the main Haitong terminal to Australia.
Indications are that she has some Teslas onboard destined for Port Kembla.
This is a scheduled service which Tesla use regularly but it is the first time to my knowledge that a shipment has straddled a quarter-end.
The number of cars involved does not appear to be large but they were built last week.
There are 3 more ships due to head to Australia in the next fortnight - MORNING CHERRY is scheduled to depart on 29 Sep, MORNING CRYSTAL on 5 Oct and VIKING PASSAMA on 10 Oct. I would have nominated MORNING CRYSTAL to be the ship 'most likely' and she still may feature.
In the past RHD production for Japan and Australia have been key indicators of likely UK production runs but I have yet to spot anything of interest departing the various Shanghai ports.

I'm quite new to the Tesla world, but could Teslas financial situation be part of the reason it seems they are less strict on the end of Q deliveries than before?
As I understand it, they have previously been close to bankruptcy and are making more money now, so they can afford to have at least some cars delivered after Q end? It would put a more even load on delivery teams, so should save some overtime and maybe keep some employees busy that would otherwise have little to do first month of each Q.

• Disagree
Status
Not open for further replies.