Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curved ball incoming - RCC Antwerp only spent 8h in Koper, which in my experience is not long enough to offload 4000 cars

(For reference unloading Autostar of 1600 cars used to take our 2 teams 6h, and the limitation is deck speed/ramps, not number of staff)

It's heading to Valletta, Malta, so could be offloading there or a crew change
If unloading 1600 cars took 6h when deck speed/ramps was the limitation, then loading 5000 cars in 24h should in theory be possible with a few hours to spare provided they have enough people working 3 shifts. If GLOVIS SUPREME is a Tesla charter it wouldn't make much sense to send her on her way only half full? It must surely be better to either provide the manpower to complete the loading in 24h or spend another day at the dock?

Without any direct observations during loading, I guess we won't have a chance to find out before she unloads.

If unloading 1600 cars took 6h when deck speed/ramps was the limitation, then loading 5000 cars in 24h should in theory be possible with a few hours to spare provided they have enough people working 3 shifts. If GLOVIS SUPREME is a Tesla charter it wouldn't make much sense to send her on her way only half full? It must surely be better to either provide the manpower to complete the loading in 24h or spend another day at the dock?

Without any direct observations during loading, I guess we won't have a chance to find out before she unloads.
Unloading is always quicker than loading as no need to line cars up or lash down.it all depends on how many drivers and how many decks can be worked at same time.
Limiting factor is number of leadsmen guiding cars into position I.e. Closed mirrors and 4 inches or 100MM space between cars

Unloading is always quicker than loading as no need to line cars up or lash down.it all depends on how many drivers and how many decks can be worked at same time.
Limiting factor is number of leadsmen guiding cars into position I.e. Closed mirrors and 4 inches or 100MM space between cars
Watching the wu wu videos with the buses taking drivers back to the factory after they’ve parked the cars and seeing people have to drive them on ships - you would think that Tesla might have developed a special program within its self driving capability to mange some of this - such as the tight parking on board…

Main Shanghai parking is empty after Glovis Supreme departure... based on last Wuwa video it is 99% roro to continental europ as only LHD vehicule were visible

Attachments

• parking Tesla.JPG
    parking Tesla.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 129
DENEB LEADER is heading into Shanghai South.
I had a feeling yesterday morning she was on course for Shanghai South but a little research unearthed her supposed itinerary which did not include a call at Shanghai South. She was meant to be heading to the Gulf and she may still do so but I wonder whether her call is Tesla related or not.
This is another occasion when a WuWa video would be very useful!

I had a feeling yesterday morning she was on course for Shanghai South but a little research unearthed her supposed itinerary which did not include a call at Shanghai South. She was meant to be heading to the Gulf and she may still do so but I wonder whether her call is Tesla related or not.
She should arrive in "Jebel Ali" at 21.10. and "Karachi, India" at 25.10. ... Greets

Indeed it can and unloading is even less skilled than loading because you do not have to line cars up merely park in a line
.with enough labour you could unload in whatever time you wish.ie with 500 people you could probably unload in 2 hours
With loading you are restricted as to how many leadsmen you can use.although you could probably have up to 20 leadsmen per deck but it then becomes like wacky races to keep flow steady

• Informative
Reactions: transpondster
Seems like you got your helpful WuWa video :)

Reactions: Lewis Smith
DENEB LEADER has now departed Shanghai South heading initially for Singapore (refuel) and thereafter to the Gulf, specifically Dubai on 21 Oct.
Once again the timing would suggest a partial shipment.

It's worthy of note that Tesla was quoted over the weekend as saying " As our production volumes continue to grow, it is becoming increasingly challenging to secure vehicle transportation capacity and at a reasonable cost during these peak logistics weeks"

I always regarded this as the weakspot in the Tesla export production strategy but it largely 'got away with it' by the timing of the pandemic and the consequent chip shortages and of course by paying top dollar for its shipments. As the global car industry wakes up from its slumbers, Tesla will find it increasingly hard (expensive) to source ships, particularly from Shanghai, and the priority it demands from its ship handling agents. The outrageously expensive tie-up with Hyundai Glovis was convenient for Hyundai Glovis in that it used their excess capacity but that excess is diminishing and becoming less compatible with Hyundai's prime goals. Established car manufacturers have long recognised that they have an unhealthy dependency on the car carriers and has led to them to form their own shipping companies, local production facilities or ideally both. The car shipping lines have often been accused as operating as a cartel and a number of court cases support past allegations. Tesla have definitely already distorted the Far East - Europe car shipment market by buying up all available space and I think DENEB LEADER is probably an example of this. I think Tesla are finding out that the good times are over and if Tesla wants to maintain its global market ambitions then some overdue long-term strategic decisions are going to have to be made to guarantee their required transportation capacity. That may involve a period of consolidation to address other penalties of rapid over-expansion and that will be hard pill for Tesla to swallow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.