Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you don’t have a VIN assigned there is no car planned for delivery for you. It is as simple as that. The message to complete your account and enter extra information might even come just 2 days after your order. I got that same message early November and my guess is they do this to (1) keep you in the flow and (2) get you ready in case any car might be cancelled that they can assign to you.

So no VIN = not yet a car

As long as you don’t have a VIN assigned there is no car planned for delivery for you. It is as simple as that. The message to complete your account and enter extra information might even come just 2 days after your order. I got that same message early November and my guess is they do this to (1) keep you in the flow and (2) get you ready in case any car might be cancelled that they can assign to you.

So no VIN = not yet a car
Unfortunately there seems to be no clear logic to Tesla's communication. I got a phone call, while a friend who ordered two weeks after me also got a text to sign in and complete next steps (which he did in November, right after ordering :) ). No rhyme or reason — that I can see :)

Today’s message:
“Tesla Update: Next steps for your Model Y order. Customers can now sign in to Tesla Account and complete pre-delivery tasks. First Model Y deliveries begin in February 2022”.

RN number also assigned.

I need a March delivery as I have a 22 plate to put on it……

Hi Mr M, I see Glovis Stella is along side in Shanghai, is this a vessel of interest?
Not sure to be honest. She has been waiting offshore for over a week but I had one (iffy) indication that she may be heading northbound to S Korea.
I am a little more interested in PAGNA when she comes alongside to load on Monday (and possibly VIKING SEA tomorrow)

Reactions: PeteB
I have a correspondent in San Francisco who takes his dog for a walk past an office that has occasionally interesting information scrawled on a whiteboard on a far wall.
Last night 'the board' showed that GLOVIS CARDINAL is indeed expected at Pier 80 on 12 Jan but it also shows another ship after that on 24 Jan.
Now this is where I appeal to the US education system to make more effort to improve people's handwriting because the ship's name on this board is very difficult to make out, particularly at night, when the only lighting is from a nearby street light. The use of block capitals for the names of ships is a recommended convention.
For the lovers of Xmas party games, the ship's name is 2 words. First letter of the 1st word is D.
The dog will go walkies in daylight later today.....

UPDATE: Just researching RoRo ships that will be in the west coast area around this time has come up with a couple of possibilities - DIGNITY ACE or DREAM DIAMOND.

Last edited:
Hello, are you usually assigned a VIN once the vehicle has arrived to the country destination? I am in Bne Aust.
I'm no expert on shipments to Oz/NZ and for this region I recommend @Vedaprime from Brisbane, who is.
He tells me that he doesn't think anything shipped to Oz on MORNING CLARA earlier this month.
So nothing is heading your way at the moment. The ships Tesla usually use to ship the East coast are on this schedule.
From this you can see DON JUAN may be of interest to you.

just spoke to Tesla re my MYLR due Feb. Not sure how much is Tesla sales push but the guy on the call said there is a ship with 2k vehicles onboard heading for UK where a few will be used for test drives. I haven’t filled in my pre reg details yet and they’re urging me to do it asap. Not sure what ship this is, if any. Sounds like a sales push.

just spoke to Tesla re my MYLR due Feb. Not sure how much is Tesla sales push but the guy on the call said there is a ship with 2k vehicles onboard heading for UK where a few will be used for test drives. I haven’t filled in my pre reg details yet and they’re urging me to do it asap. Not sure what ship this is, if any. Sounds like a sales push.
Well I have a MY test drive booked for Tuesday.

My pal Alex ordered on "Day 1 for UK orders" and got this message today:

Next steps for your Model Y order
Sign in to your Tesla Account to complete pre‑delivery tasks for your upcoming delivery.

So is his car now on a ship?
Could be...possibly....maybe
We have had a couple of ships depart Shanghai over the last couple of days heading for Singapore (a popular refuel stop on the way to UK/EU) that I'm keeping an eye on, but none that scream "I'm a Tesla ship"
I suspect there will be some more next week too and the timings from the rumour mill suggest a departure is more likely next week.
As always, I could be wrong though!

Had a chat with a Tesla rep today: VIN number assignment is expected to happen start of February (anything earlier is a plus) with first deliveries to take place mid of February, hence confirming that majority of first pick-ups at service center will be for second half of February.

Hello, are you usually assigned a VIN once the vehicle has arrived to the country destination? I am in Bne Aust.
vin assigment is always earlier for Australia. last quarter it was mostly while still in Shanghai. Applies Australia/New Zealand only. Not elsewhere. further discussion can be had in the Australia forum. Mr M keeps this thread tp a ship thread to not derail it.

Status
Not open for further replies.