Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, my thinking is, if you have 200 cars to supply. Maybe you supply them to the punters who will provide you with the best cash flow. Those with the cash in their hand rather than lease.

Straws

Grasping.

Sorry to the leasers.

:)
This makes no difference to Tesla at all. The financiers, in my case Lex Autolease, they pay Tesla in full and them the lease contract is undertaken by myself, I will then pay deposit and monthly payments for a period, then Lex will take back the car and sell it (or I am led to believe you can actually buy at the end from Lex, they're the only contract hire that allow this I think).

Reactions: DrPhlegm and RPA335
According to Chinese media, there was 48hrs lockdown in Shanghai around 18 Mar, then reopened until 28 Mar. If the last ship from GF Shanghai was 5th Mar, then it means GF Shanghai managed to produce around 30,000 cars. Does this mean there are already enough MY LRs for May delivery but the problem is the lockdown blocks the transportation from the factory to the port and loading to a ship? If this is true, then media also says the city would probably be unlocked in mid May, so Swedish buyers would receive their cars in second half June if they are prioritized, right?
I suspect they have lots of Ys ready to go and some 3s. Would explain the May EDD for both of these cars. It is also entirely possible the factory is running but at a much reduced capacity at the moment. Elon was very quiet when asked about it.

Reactions: RPA335
I’m curious. Of those that have retained a May/June EDD. How are you purchasing your Tesla?

Outright/Finance or Lease?

Me - Purchase/PCP
I’m curious. Of those that have retained a May/June EDD. How are you purchasing your Tesla?

Outright/Finance or Lease?

Me - Purchase/PCP
For me it’s cash, though I doubt it makes a difference.
I don’t think any of us are getting our cars in May and it’s just Tesla not updating the EDD consistently.

This makes no difference to Tesla at all. The financiers, in my case Lex Autolease, they pay Tesla in full and them the lease contract is undertaken by myself, I will then pay deposit and monthly payments for a period, then Lex will take back the car and sell it (or I am led to believe you can actually buy at the end from Lex, they're the only contract hire that allow this I think).

You don’t think that leasing companies get more favourable terms for buying in bulk?

I would be pretty amazed if they didn’t.

They are also unlikely to take their money elsewhere whereas cash/finance buyers might.

Looking at the results of all of the people who have responded there isn’t a single leaser amongst them, all are buying out right or on finance.

You don’t think that leasing companies get more favourable terms for buying in bulk?

They are also unlikely to take their money elsewhere whereas cash/finance buyers might.

Looking at the results of all of the people who have responded there isn’t a single leaser amongst them, all are buying out right or on finance.
All the lease companies will just be under the financier, all these little companies you see, they are just selling the contracts for people Like Lex, ALD

I agree with you that with people signing into contracts well they are less likely to cancel where as cash buyers might.

But I honestly believe Tesla won't care about how they're paid, they'll just ship orders down a list. Maybe they might prioritise people who purchase add ons such as alloys and FSD as they want those sales, especially autopilot cause that is literally free money for them

Who knows though, its all smokes and mirrors unfortunately

Reactions: RPA335 and Andyb5

I'd be amazed if they _did_.

There is a reason that you can just give your RN to the lease company and they take over the order - an order at the list price, and that is they pay exactly the same as you. You can't do this with any other car company because the lease companies _do_ get discounts with them.

I don't think it matters how you purchased it, Tesla will get all the money upfront on the day of sale. Leasing and PCP purchases are paid by the finance company backing them and then the finance company takes back the money from the buyer.
Finance companies who provide lease/PCP/HP contracts will have commercial finance arrangements with Tesla, they will each have a credit limit set by Tesla, say £5m for example. So as each car ordered by that finance company is delivered to a customer Tesla will invoice the finance company for the price of the car, Tesla will not get paid at the point of delivery, but later once the finance company processes the paperwork. It is fairly normal in business to get 30 days to pay such bills. Once Tesla issue the invoice it is accounted for as a sale as at the invoice date, they do not need to receive the cash to count that car as a sale.

The (example) £5m credit limit is important as this may limit how many cars a specific finance company can deliver in a 30 day period as once the finance company owe Tesla the £5m then no further deliveries until at least some of this is paid off and the finance company has some credit again - a bit like your own credit card, if you hit the limit you have to pay something off before you can use it again.

My model Y is a business lease through a third party and they've actually emailed today to say EDD is 6th June. I ordered on the 31st March but think the order went through on the 4th April. I went for the white paint, black interior and induction wheels.

Obviously, my thinking is, if you have 200 cars to supply. Maybe you supply them to the punters who will provide you with the best cash flow. Those with the cash in their hand rather than lease.

Straws

Grasping.

Sorry to the leasers.

:)
They are NOT "that smart". I have cash available for my September 16th 2021 order for a M3 LR, but they did not prioritise my order, instead I see a lot of orders with leasing, orders few months after mine (Oct, Nov, Dec), that got delivered in February and March 2022. Now with the factory in China closed I most probably won't get delivery in May either. On top of that Tesla will have to pay from their pocket 10k Euro because from their side of agreement they failed to deliver the car in 240 days (8 months), when the government incentives allocated for my new electric car will expire on May 15th. BTW my initial EDD was December 2021 but got pushed out for March2022, then to May 2022. Also I am not the only one in this situation here in Romania, so I think Tesla will have to cover some losses in this regard. This is just poor planning, someone should get fired for this.

Last edited:
They are NOT "that smart". I have cash available for my September 16th 2021 order for a M3 LR, but they did not prioritise my order, instead I see a lot of orders with leasing, orders few months after mine (Oct, Nov, Dec), that got delivered in February and March 2022. Now with the factory in China closed I most probably won't get delivery in May either. On top of that Tesla will have to pay from their pocket 10k Euro because from their side of agreement they failed to deliver the car in 240 days (8 months), when the government incentives allocated for my new electric car will expire on May 15th. BTW my initial EDD was December 2021 but got pushed out for March2022, then to May 2022. Also I am not the only one in this situation here in Romania, so I think Tesla will have to cover some losses in this regard. This is just poor planning, someone should get fired for this.
I'm in this exact situation too. My order was placed Sep 18th, cash purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.