Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Tesla 3 rwd 0 miles vs. 2019 tesla 3 awd, FSD, acceleration boost with 37k miles? Practically same price. Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends do you like FSD? I could care less if mine had it it's pretty much a toy/useless. Autopilot is enough for my needs and it's included on every tesla. I do have boost. It's not needed but I like the extra speed. you can always add boost for $2k and they have enhanced auto pilot available now for $6k so you could get the newer 2022 and get boots or enhanced if you want or just pay as you go for FSD for $200 a month.

I'm a FSD hater though because it doesn't drive itself. Unless I can jump in the back seat and go to sleep FSD is useless.
So it's your choice if it's worth it for an older car.

Edit just noticed you said RWD. that's a big jump in performance vs AWD. I just like speed so I would only do a performance or M3LR.
if you want a commuter the RWD is better if it has a LFP battery. That battery will lasts much longer vs the LR or performance. LFP battery tech is nice.
And you can charge it to 100% everyday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A new SR RWD Model 3 is 47k, so we have to imagine this is roughly the price of both you're looking at.

Pretty massive performance gap between those cars. If you don't care about that--- or the bit better stereo in the AWD, then it becomes what is FSD worth to you vs 3 more years of warranty.... (if you DO care about performance there's no debate, the AWD is much better).

If you were thinking about getting at least EAP anyway then you might be better off with the AWD and buying an extended warranty from the Xcare folks, it's be cheaper than EAP and leave you with the better performance, stereo, and FSD on top plus a bit better range too.

Reactions: OliverM3
Upvote 0
The 2022 RWD has the new heat pump which is more efficient. After 3 years/37k miles the 2019 may have up to 5% battery degradation. FSD is still "beta" and is an unfinished driver assistance product. Buy the new 2022 and if you find you want more acceleration, sell it and buy a LR then purchase the acceleration boost.

Upvote 0
Neither. If you are in the US and your income qualifies get a 2023 Model 3 AWD (TBD Spec) for $54,999 MSRP when it becomes available.

But to answer your actual question:
- Do you live somewhere that gets lots of snow. If not, AWD is a nice to have only.
- Do you live somewhere that gets extremely high or low temperatures? If not, Long Range is probably not necessary
- Do you take lots of road trips where shaving a couple of minutes off supercharging is important? If not, Long Range is probably not necessary
- Do you believe level 5 autonomy will be available "later this year"? If not, FSD is almost worthless.

I am a big fan of the LFP battery chemistry. I also really like the heat pump, which I don't think the 2019 will have. I also don't like chrome, so the newer models with little chrome look better to me. There are many other little things like the power trunk, better computer processors, less annoying center console that are advantage 2022.

Without knowing the answers to the above questions it's hard to make a recommendation. I love my 2022 M3 RWD and recommend it in general.

Reactions: IndyGopher
Upvote 0
First off, no Tesla has been sold with zero miles.
There is a time component (as well as usage component) to battery degradation. Hence, a newer batter is always preferred given the same capacity at production.
FSD really isn’t ‘worth it’. Folks sometimes need to subscribe to find out, I suppose (I have two cars with FSD.. ‘fool me twice.’)
As noted above, there are many engineering advancements “under the hood”…
Go with new

Upvote 0
Looks like you are looking at the inventory list. Yep I saw those cars my buddy is finally taking the leap.

He asked the same question. He wanted to go with the new sr+ because he has a performance on order and wants to get one in the mean time because gas is so high in Los Angeles.

The resale game is crazy. I sold my '21 sr+ and got every penny back so it's like I drove a car for free. Plus I had referral free charging.

But if you want better speakers, better rims, faster, more miles vs being second owner and mileage on the vehicle go with lr.

Upvote 0