Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Tesla M3 LR Accident Damage [is this totaled?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a delivery of Tesla M3 Long Range on September 24, 2022 and got T-boned by RAM 1500 while I was driving at 45 miles/hour on September 30 with only 120 miles on the car. Fortunately, I made it out with minor injuries and the accident was declared not my fault by cops and insurance since the lady did not yield on my green. The car is non-drivable with severe damage to the front passenger side of the car but the battery is intact with no physical damage to it. Both airbags on driver's side were deployed. The car is still waiting to be looked at by a Tesla Authorized Repair Shop in Phoenix, AZ. The appointment date is Feb 6.

In the meantime, I received a $9000 repair estimate from State Farm Insurance which I think is relatively low for the damages but I also don't think the car is totaled since car was practically brand new bought for $72,000.

Based on the attached pictures, do you think the damages are around $9000 or can the Tesla be actually totaled? Any insights or recommendations working with repair shops and State Farm Insurance to expedite repairs process?

Attachments

• Passenger Side Damage.jpg
    Passenger Side Damage.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 703
  • Hood - Opened.jpg
    Hood - Opened.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 486
  • Passenger Side Door and Wheel Damage.png
    Passenger Side Door and Wheel Damage.png
    3 MB · Views: 479
  • Driver Side Airbags.jpg
    Driver Side Airbags.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 514
  • Front Drivers Side Bumper damage.jpg
    Front Drivers Side Bumper damage.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 470
  • Front Passenger Side Bumper damage.jpg
    Front Passenger Side Bumper damage.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 510
Not totaled. New bumper, fender, hood, airbag work, sensors, etc.. I’m guessing 15k, but a certified place will jack up the cost to 25k

Based on your description with the speed and size of the impact vehicle, your car looks remarkable

Reactions: DocHolliday
Not totaled. New bumper, fender, hood, airbag work, sensors, etc.. I’m guessing 15k, but a certified place will jack up the cost to 25k

Based on your description with the speed and size of the impact vehicle, your car looks remarkable
I tried my best to avoid head on collision, which is why I got hit on passenger side. Car's appointment is at a Tesla Approved Collision Center: Autobody Solutions Peoria.

While I don't think it'll be totaled, TBH I somehow hope it is since I ordered M3 in June and I've practically been without it since except for 4 days after delivery.

I'm sorry this happened to you on a car with only 120 miles! Also, I noticed the accident was in September, so the car's been just sitting there all this time? That sucks even more. I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction. I'm no expert but that certainly looks like way more than 9k of damages.

Many years back in 2003, I was rear ended in a BMW 3-series and the damage looked very minor but ended up costing $4500 (in 2003 dollars) to get it fixed. My uneducated guess would be over $30K to get this fixed.

Glad you're safe, but that looks pretty minor damage for going 45mph and getting hit on the front fender, doesn't even seem to have damaged the front passenger wheel. Shame it's taken so long to get repaired.

Airbag deployment does not "by default" total a vehicle. They're easily replaced, although expensive. Frame damage is the bigger concern. My completely amateur guestimate, so long as frame and battery is good, $15-18k.
Insurance doesn’t want to assume liability fixing the car, when airbags have deployed. Heck, some won’t repair the vehicle if the seatbelt pretensioners have fired.

15-18k if no frame damage? 😂

100% totaled. Absolutely.

As a general rule of thumb, paint scratches on more than 2 panels will total nearly any car. You have 5 damaged panels plus a bunch of airbags. There is zero chance of this not being totaled.

As @buster84 mentioned, the recent price change might put you in a predicament. You might need to fight to ensure full reimbursement for what you originally paid/owe by insisting that it was effectively "brand new" at the time of the accident. Otherwise, they may only offer you the current market value replacement value which is much less.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Even if it -wasn't- totaled would you want to drive that car? With the major damage and then repairs and all the potential risk of that not to mention the accident declarations you'd need to make. I generally want my expensive vehicles totaled whenever possible.