Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Tesla Model 3 LR Projector to Matrix headlight retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local service center will replace Projector headlights with Matrix headlights.

They think the matrix headlight assembly will fit 2022 model 3.

Wish me luck!
Pretty sure someone on the forums tried this and it does not work.

Tesla is going to have to replace more than just the headlight assemblies for this to be viable. Frankly, im surprised they agreed to do it.

Hopefully it works out as expected. Keep us posted.

Yes, I recall seeing some posts about that as well. The headlight assemblies will of course physically fit the chassis but... the ECUs and connectors were different and even if they can be made to talk to the rest of the car, Teslas diagnostics and configuration software (which has multiple levels of privileges and elevated access, all the way up to Freemont engineers, etc) will not a. handshake with the headlights b. allow the 'active' matrix feature to be toggled on.

Yes, I recall seeing some posts about that as well. The headlight assemblies will of course physically fit the chassis but... the ECUs and connectors were different and even if they can be made to talk to the rest of the car, Teslas diagnostics and configuration software (which has multiple levels of privileges and elevated access, all the way up to Freemont engineers, etc) will not a. handshake with the headlights b. allow the 'active' matrix feature to be toggled on.
The connector is the same, it's just that gateway value 28 needs to be changed to enable matrix headlights. If a SC says they'll do it, lets see what happens!

Following. My car was in an accident and they’re reordering headlights. I asked if they could upgrade to the matrix and they said they’d be willing to order them and install but curious what all needs to be changed from a software perspective to enable the matrix feature.

Reactions: Gasaraki
The connector is the same, it's just that gateway value 28 needs to be changed to enable matrix headlights. If a SC says they'll do it, lets see what happens!

We hit a problem.

Matrix headlights fit in the 2022 Model 3 LR, but they don't have any official retrofit instruction from Tesla, so I don't know how to program the software. My SC sent an e-mail to tesla support, but HQ? now claims that only the Performance model comes with matrix headlights, and they can't/won't authorize the retrofit support.

I've sent an e-mail to [email protected] to get this *sugar* resolved.

We hit a problem.

Matrix headlights fit in the 2022 Model 3 LR, but they don't have any official retrofit instruction from Tesla, so I don't know how to program the software. My SC sent an e-mail to tesla support, but HQ? now claims that only the Performance model comes with matrix headlights, and they can't/won't authorize the retrofit support.

Sounds like the person they spoke with confused the model 3 and model Y. Model y is confirmed to only get the matrix headlights on the performance.

We hit a problem.

I have a 2022 M3LR that I picked up in June and it came w/Matrix headlights, in fact that was what the whole headlight fiasco was about. So BS on the "only performance model" answer.

We hit a problem.

Yeah…that’s the end of this thread. Once they refer you to the mothership, it’s over.

Sorry to hear that.

Don't listen to your service center lol. What a joke. Anyways what I learned over the year retrofit is possible! The whole its not going to fit or different wiring is BS, it fits and some people on this forum was able to get it to work. But you need to have a inside connection at Tesla to update your vin headlight configuration for your car to recognize global headlights. As of right now you are stuck with old premium headlights unless you know people.

I hope they do offer a official retrofit one day at service center but for now just accept them.

Are the 'active' matrix features (non-blinding dynamic high-beam, corner turn-in lighting) enabled? Or do you just have the newer/darker innard assemblies with the outter edge projector lense, but with vanilla (auto high-beam, DRL, etc) functions?

Last edited:
Are the 'active' matrix features (non-blinding dynamic high-beam, corner turn-in lighting) enabled? Or do you just have the newer/darker innard assemblies with the outter edge projector lense, but with vanilla (auto high-beam, DRL, etc) functions?
There are zero matrix features active. They work just like the regular reflectors, just with more spread to the side, while reflectors are more concentrated straight ahead. The only "matrix" function is it can project the words TESLA on the wall when you do the light show.

The federal law was only recently changed in February this year so it will take a while for automakers to roll out such features in the US.
Federal Register :: Request Access

Last edited:
Reactions: Pricedm and sorphin