Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Tesla Model X Plaid - 6 Month Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since seeing the first Model X I ever laid eyes on in 2016, I knew I wanted one.. Until recently I never imagined I'd ever afford it. So i settled on a Model Y instead. In April 2021 I bought a brand new Model Y LR and it was pretty much everything i had dreamed it would be (more on that maybe in a Model y Review)

Throughout the past year, I found myself in a much more fortunate place than I expected, and ordered a 2022 Tesla Model X. I learned that if I paid the $30k difference to go Plaid, I would likely get my car in weeks, not years. So i did it. True to that, 3 weeks later it was ready for delivery.

It truly is a great car. It's Fast, it's comfortable, and the falcon wing doors are everything I expected them to be.
However, There are some issues.

Having come from a model Y, and driven over 30,000 Miles in one year in it.. I had high expectations. My model Y had no issues at all. No paint problems, and my white seats look brand new like the day I bought it. I had figured all the complaints I read about Tesla's were worked out by now, Because i didn't have a single issue.

In 6 short months, and 11,000 Miles with my Tesla Model X, I am reminded that quality control isn't 100%.

The Issues:
  • As many others have mentioned. The paint is VERY thin. I have experienced 6 (So far) rock chips on the hood, and down the sides of the car. Perhaps its my own fault for not going with Multi Coat red (As i did on my Y), But I just cannot fathom how a $160,000.00 Car can have such poor paint quality..
  • Front Drivers seat is turning blue. Yes, I wear jeans. But I also wore jeans in my 30,000 mile Model Y, so i never expected this. I guess its because the seats are perforated?
  • Satellite Radio didn't work out of the box. Although this isn't a major issue, I was highly looking forward to having Satellite radio in my car. 2 Trips to the service center and 2 full days off work, it was fixed though! I really cant complain because it is working now.
  • We noticed the Passenger wiper was rubbing the hood when in use. We scheduled a mobile service, where the tech found it was bent. He bent it back in place and seemingly has fixed the issue.
  • Software bugs, Mainly around the front screen bugging out. We had one where Power Steering died, but a reboot fixed it. Light Show constantly will not work randomly, and sometimes will work fine.
  • Hard acceleration front shudder (Fully expected this one)
Despite all the "issues" above, I am still absolutely in love with the car. No car is perfect, and there's currently no luxury competitor on the market today that can go down the road for $0.03/mile. I traded my 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve on this X, and in just 2,000 miles with the Jeep I had it in the shop 4 times. After those 4 visits, it still wasn't fixed. The Jeep had issues like: Smells of Electrical Fire, flickering screens, and sometimes non working screens entirely.

I was very unsure on the Yoke part, I almost canceled the car entirely because there was no option to opt out. After using it for 6 months I can say its something you learn. Although there are still times where I am frantically searching for the horn or turn signals. I would still opt for the stalks and a normal wheel without touch sensitive buttons if it were an option.

The Goods:
  • The Car holds true to its "Plaid" name. The acceleration is insane. I only THOUGHT my Model Y Performance was fast.
  • The seats are much more comfortable than the model Y, and the ventilation option is much needed.
  • Falcon Wing doors are exactly as expected. No issues with them which was a concern after reading about others having issues.
  • I am a stats nerd, I love to monitor and track charging speed, time, etc. Having a 100kWh battery makes tracking this super easy. 1% is 1kWh. Its much easier to keep up with.
  • Another point to the 100kWh battery. When traveling I am able to stop way less often than I did in my Model Y, just simply because of the greater capacity.
  • As mentioned earlier, There's simply nothing like it. Nothing on the market today can travel at such a low cost per mile, while being this fast, and this luxurious.
  • Took it to a car show, and won. Simply because its a plaid (haha)

While I was super excited to get the car, and I feel the wait was worth it.. I think there is still a long way to go for Tesla on quality control. I had hoped my good experiences on the cheaper end of their lineup was proof that the higher end was only going to be better.
For now, I plan to drive this Model X until i can get an electric Truck. I have a Cybertruck on order, but time will tell if that will be the direction i go.. Whoever can deliver first, as I find more use in a truck. However, Its hard to say Id keep this car longer than a "Just for now" vehicle. $160,000 is a large price to pay for some of the issues it presents.

3A376496-E419-4D29-9647-73DC692AB07D.jpeg
1E95DDF3-F601-4B27-A71E-D75D00ECB8CB.jpeg

I am a stats nerd, I love to monitor and track charging speed, time, etc. Having a 100kWh battery makes tracking this super easy. 1% is 1kWh. Its much easier to keep up with.
Great first review. Glad you are happy with the X. I have enjoyed mine as well, and also a stats nerd. I have a spreadsheet with every trip, charge, etc. Charges broken down between home, Superchargers, destination chargers, and everything in between. I also track charge rate/vs charge %, and more. I typically keep my display in % since I that is more important to me than miles.
I had the same thought as you, that 1% was 1 kWh and early on when I would charge from 20% to 50% I figured I added 30 kWh to my battery. I now use TeslaFi to send me reports of actual kWh used and kWh added to the battery. I also use ScanMyTesla to obtain information about my battery and other items. I now realize that over time as the battery degrades, the 100kWh battery will no longer be 100kWh. I believe mine is now closer to 90% as shown in the attached image. This shot was taken while at a supercharger and was charging and about 47.4% battery level.
ScanmyTesla.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
I am a stats nerd, I love to monitor and track charging speed, time, etc. Having a 100kWh battery makes tracking this super easy. 1% is 1kWh. Its much easier to keep up with.
The X LR and Plaid do not have a 100 kWh battery. It is somewhat less than that, like 93 kWh or so. That is why Tesla no longer names their cars by battery size. My 2018 100D did have a roughly 100 kWh battery, but the battery today is about 7% to 8% smaller than the 2018 battery, yet the 2022 goes much further and faster. The 2022 is several hundred pounds lighter than my 2018, part of that is due the reduction of battery capacity.

The X LR and Plaid do not have a 100 kWh battery. It is somewhat less than that, like 93 kWh or so. That is why Tesla no longer names their cars by battery size. My 2018 100D did have a roughly 100 kWh battery, but the battery today is about 7% to 8% smaller than the 2018 battery, yet the 2022 goes much further and faster. The 2022 is several hundred pounds lighter than my 2018, part of that is due the reduction of battery capacity.
my S plaid via Tessie reported 96.2Kwh battery when was new.

Reactions: croman