Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance Pickup and Bank Check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up my Blue 2022 MYP Black interior no tow EDD: 03/16 - 03/20.
1. Confirming pick up date time through Tesla App ( I am not paying the total amount electronically until I physically inspect and accept it)
2. Contacting my insurance company and giving them the vin # to add to my policy
3. Showing up to dealership with Certified Bank Check with RN# in memo for $66,190
4. Totally going over the entire car inside and out and documenting any problems with my phone and advising SA while still at the lot
5. Signing a few documents that were left inside of the car and dropping them off at the sales desk
6. Accelerating away from the dealership like I just stole it!

Am I missing anything? Is $66,190 correct or am I missing any hidden fees?

Delaware residence here... Do I simply drive it to my local DMV and get it registered / pay taxes and tag fees. I have a black tag in retention so do I just have it taken out of retention and place it on my car? Being from Delaware I know worker at the DMV will attempt to give me a smog test! 🤪

Attachments

• Tesla Gap test.PNG
    Tesla Gap test.PNG
    594.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Bank Check.PNG
    Bank Check.PNG
    405.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Leaving Tesla Dealership like I stole it!.PNG
    Leaving Tesla Dealership like I stole it!.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • Smog Test.PNG
    Smog Test.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I don’t know how Delaware works but in CA the 66,190 would be fees, taxes everything out the door. So here we wouldn‘t need to go them DMV tesla handles all of that. Hands down no other car company can touch Tesla’s buying experience. No tacky salesman who pass me off to the sales manager who passes me off the Finance Monster who tries to brow beat me for hours into submission to buy whatever crap they are pushing. Thank God those days are over. Sorry went a little too far :) Come back and let us know how it went. Congrats!

Reactions: BillyG2022MYP
I don’t know how Delaware works but in CA the 66,190 would be fees, taxes everything out the door. So here we wouldn‘t need to go them DMV tesla handles all of that. Hands down no other car company can touch Tesla’s buying experience. No tacky salesman who pass me off to the sales manager who passes me off the Finance Monster who tries to brow beat me for hours into submission to buy whatever crap they are pushing. Thank God those days are over. Sorry went a little too far :) Come back and let us know how it went. Congrats!
Absolutely I will share my personal experience of how it all went. I totally agree about the normal car buying experience and ridiculous it has become over the years. It is so refreshing to here how simple Tesla has made it even though these cars are very expensive. I live In Delaware however there are no Tesla stealerships here so the closest ones are in NJ and PA. Turns out I have to driver 40 minutes into NJ to pick it up and they provide you with a temp and send you on the way so you can register it in your own state where I will pay a 4.25% tag fee since there is not sales tax in Delaware. I just sold my SUV almost $60K in the last 30 days so I will not have to pay much as far as taxes.

I assume Tesla will tell me the exact amount I need to bring to the dealership when take delivery.

I don’t know how Delaware works but in CA the 66,190 would be fees, taxes everything out the door.

Actually, no it wouldnt (in CA). I have a model Y P that I am picking up for my wife on 3/9/2022, and 66,190 is absolutely not "taxes, fees, everything" for a model 3 Performance, in California.

Here is a CA MVPA for a model Y P, with the free (grey) paint, no FSD, no Tow Hitch, ordered in Jan of this year.

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 11.39.43 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: CaliX
That is exactly how I handled my MYP pickup yesterday. SA unlocked car, I spent 30 mins looking it over. It was flawless. Signed a couple of forms, handed over cashiers check for 71k, accepted car within app, SA set up my phone key, and I drove off.

The only piece of paper they provided was a “notice of title transfer application“. In Idaho, I take that to my DMV and get my plates. Easy peasy!

Sounds correct. In about a week you will get the title and a few other papers. Those you take to your DMV to register the car. In KY you have to pay sales tax for purchase (you pick the car up in Ohio so no tax charged) you pay registration and then you have to get the car inspected which is basically the Sheriff verifying the accurate VIN number.

As a resident of DE it's simple. DE is a self register state no extra fees required at point of sale, In approximately a month you'll receive all the requisite documentation from Tesla via FedEx/UPS. You'll take those docs to the DMV and hand over to clerk for processing at which point you'll inform them that you'd like to take your current low digit plate out of retention and transfer to the vehicle. You'll have to pay the registration fee for any period between 1 - 7 years which will cost $40 - $280 ($40/year) and the one time doc fee (4.25% of vehicle sale price) since DE has no sales tax on vehicles. That's it, no need for inspection or anything else. Took me 15 mins in and out to do this for my Model 3.

Lastly, don't forget to apply for your DE EV ($2,500) rebate, essentially a check in your pocket. You'll need the Tesla store person sign a form.

DE EV Rebate

Enjoy and congrats!!!

Actually, no it wouldnt (in CA). I have a model Y P that I am picking up for my wife on 3/9/2022, and 66,190 is absolutely not "taxes, fees, everything" for a model 3 Performance, in California.

Here is a CA MVPA for a model Y P, with the free (grey) paint, no FSD, no Tow Hitch, ordered in Jan of this year.

View attachment 777387
Makes since. I wasn’t sure what options they had. Mine was pretty low on options so it was in the 60’s. However it works out my Tesla MYP was an amazing buying experience that I hope everyone can experience in their life :)

As a resident of DE it's simple. DE is a self register state no extra fees required at point of sale, In approximately a month you'll receive all the requisite documentation from Tesla via FedEx/UPS. You'll take those docs to the DMV and hand over to clerk for processing at which point you'll inform them that you'd like to take your current low digit plate out of retention and transfer to the vehicle. You'll have to pay the registration fee for any period between 1 - 7 years which will cost $40 - $280 ($40/year) and the one time doc fee (4.25% of vehicle sale price) since DE has no sales tax on vehicles. That's it, no need for inspection or anything else. Took me 15 mins in and out to do this for my Model 3.

Lastly, don't forget to apply for your DE EV ($2,500) rebate, essentially a check in your pocket. You'll need the Tesla store person sign a form.

DE EV Rebate

Enjoy and congrats!!!
Thanks, I just read the Rebate form and it said the total vehicle price cannot exceed $60,000 which includes added features, equipment, extended warranties taxes and tags etc. MYP purchaser here...I am screwed! My base price unfortunately far exceeded the $60K mark.

Attachments

• 2022 MYP Base Price.PNG
    2022 MYP Base Price.PNG
    527.2 KB · Views: 66
I am scheduled to pick her up on the morning of March 18, 2022. I completed the insurance in the Tesla App so the only thing I have not completed is the "Make Your Final Payment". I have read that we can bring a Certified Bank check with the RN# on the memo line. I plan to just bring the check and hand it to the SA at the dealership when I hand in "3" signed documents. It would probably be super convenient to transfer the funds via the Tesla App but I have never done such a think and to be honest that sounds very scary to send $66,196 with my phone! Second reason for not wanting to send them money via the APP is because what if the car has major problems and I end up refusing to accept it. They have my money associated with that the VIN and then they sell it to someone else. Tesla keeps my money and I don't have a car for days, weeks or months until they find me another car from my region that someone else rejected! No Thanks
I am sure on occasion customers pay for the car in advance and have the car delivered to their residence for many reason like not being in town or unable tp take off work. I have read from some members that a Tesla employee just drops the car off and leaves in an Uber with the doors locked and papers inside. I can't imagine if you came home to find a car with damage or multiple panel gaps and or a scratch. I know you can take photos of it and notify the dealership but I do not want that headache. I would want to point out any issues before I drive away knowing that a scheduled service appointment for any and all issues. Anyone regret paying for the car in advance of taking delivery?
Never have I ever inspected a brand new vehicle for build quality issues prior to leaving a dealership and this is by far the most expensive car I have ever purchased in my life. Don't get me wrong I am "Certified Car Nut" and I definitely give them all the thorough look over for damage etc. but I have always trusted the Automaker's Quality Control and my dealership to address any and all issues when preparing it for delivery. Seems like Tesla just has detailers cleaning them up after they are unloaded of the truck and no one looks them over prior to the buyer showing up to take delivery. I purposely am taking delivery on the third and final day I was given to choose from to give them ample time to address any issues if they find one. I know they will tell me any issues I find are "within spec" or "within tolerance". Heard those terms flying around when I was at the dealership months ago.