Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 UK Model Y - please help me to sort a solution for playing music from USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turns out that the voice command "USB" works a treat, which not only restores USB as the input source it also resumes playback from where it left off. No need to use up a valuable shortcut for the USB, then.

The handling of MP3 tags and sorting into albums is still poor and broken, but if you have your albums arranged into an 'artist/album' folder structure then you can browse them using the folder view. This is probably a quicker way to find what you want anyway, by selecting the artist and then the album.

Album art seems fine whilst you're playing but there's no album art whilst you're browsing.

But, the USB interface isn't as bad as it seemed, with the bonus of you being able to dictate the sound quality.

Reactions: googlepeakoil
I find the "USB" voice command to be hit and miss, sadly. It always switches source ok but often (maybe half the time?) doesn't resume playback, leaving silence until i manually select USB, when I'm back to having to select from the top level on the drive.

I have the USB icon as a shortcut and notice that it's missing when I get into tne car, and appears maybe 5 - 10 seconds later - indicating that the USB subsystem isn't ready quickly enough to resume. However, even when I use the "USB" command after the icon has appeared, it still doesn't resume USB playback half the time.

And, if Ieave the car having been playing from USB, it'll usually switch to Tidal when I get back in, it's rare that it continues USB playback.

Very frustrating.

OK, rant over. You're very patient.

MP3s on a memory card? That takes me back to the early 2000s!

Unless you have some music that somehow is not available on Spotify, why not just use Spotify? It won’t take long to add all your albums to the Spotify playlist, and you’ll have all the benefits that Spotify in the car brings compared to MP3s, such as album artwork, ease of navigation, playing an album/song via voice control etc.
Im glad you posted that….my thoughts exactly

Reactions: teaston
I don’t think any higher quality files make a difference, the Tesla speakers are not good enough, they’re very cheap little paper coned units. I have tried the HIFI quality tracks on Tidal (have to use wifi to get the HIFI tracks), and they sound no different to Spotify.
You should be joking? Flac songs sound wonderful on my model Y. With Encanto for example, we could hear each and every singer separately with FLAC. With Spotify, it's just flat. I had a B&O upgrade on the Audi, while Tesla is not as good as B&O, it is decent enough without requiring a £4k upgrade.

You should be joking? Flac songs sound wonderful on my model Y. With Encanto for example, we could hear each and every singer separately with FLAC. With Spotify, it's just flat. I had a B&O upgrade on the Audi, while Tesla is not as good as B&O, it is decent enough without requiring a £4k upgrade.
Definitely not joking, they sound completely identical in the MY to me. Possibly what you are experiencing is a placebo effect.

Strongly disagree that there isn't an perceptible difference between Spotify over LTE and TIDAL over WiFi (which is equivalent in bitrate to FLAC).

FLAC music played over my USB SSD sounds equally good. I'm not sure I can discern a difference between that and TIDAL over wireless, but I can certainly tell the difference between "HIFI" tracks on TIDAL and Spotify.

Reactions: _MJF_
Hello

As per title. Did a search but cannot find anything defintive or particularly recent, which is a valid factor due to the fast moving changes that Tesla make. i have a March 2022 MY and AFAIK just the one data USB-C in glovebox. What are my options in playing music off a USB stick?
From bitter experience I recommend the following:
1. USB in glovebox - fit the Tesla one and use it ONLY for dashcam. Do NOT put music on it as well.
2. Buy yourself a double-ended USB-C / USB-A stick for the centre console. And copy your USB music onto this. Copy it into folders. As the USB stick in the centre console sticks out and looks really fragile I recommend going on ebay and buying yourself a 90 degree rotating connector like this - see attached image. Then the USB stick can be pointed down and is less likely to snap off when dropping/pulling something in the compartment. I really hate that Tesla only put USB-C in the centre console. It's not an improvement, it's so ridiculously fragile looking, and all my phones, tablets have USB-A connectors! I've had to buy a load of USB-C cables and this adaptor.

Attachments

• usb-bend.jpg
    usb-bend.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 70
From bitter experience I recommend the following:
1. USB in glovebox - fit the Tesla one and use it ONLY for dashcam. Do NOT put music on it as well.
2. Buy yourself a double-ended USB-C / USB-A stick for the centre console. And copy your USB music onto this. Copy it into folders. As the USB stick in the centre console sticks out and looks really fragile I recommend going on ebay and buying yourself a 90 degree rotating connector like this - see attached image. Then the USB stick can be pointed down and is less likely to snap off when dropping/pulling something in the compartment. I really hate that Tesla only put USB-C in the centre console. It's not an improvement, it's so ridiculously fragile looking, and all my phones, tablets have USB-A connectors! I've had to buy a load of USB-C cables and this adaptor.
That's not going to work on any recently delivered 3 or Y. The only port that has data enabled is the one in the glovebox, the rest are power only.

That's not going to work on any recently delivered 3 or Y. The only port that has data enabled is the one in the glovebox, the rest are power only.
That's a shame if they've done that!
Mine is a Nov2020 Calif build SR+ with the refreshed design (heatpump, but not heated steering wheel) - one of the last shipped to the UK before MIC replaced them. So I can confirm it works on that vintage :) And yes, saying "USB" while pressing the right thumb button works brilliantly - most of the time.
The alternative for me is having a few albums on the phone and connecting over bluetooth and playing off that - but that's too much of a faff most of the time. I prefer USB music and having full folder access. All my music across a hundred folders.

That's a shame if they've done that!
Mine is a Nov2020 Calif build SR+ with the refreshed design (heatpump, but not heated steering wheel) - one of the last shipped to the UK before MIC replaced them. So I can confirm it works on that vintage :) And yes, saying "USB" while pressing the right thumb button works brilliantly - most of the time.
The alternative for me is having a few albums on the phone and connecting over bluetooth and playing off that - but that's too much of a faff most of the time. I prefer USB music and having full folder access. All my music across a hundred folders.
Yep ... a step backwards in my opinion. I have a 2019 SR+ and have third party hub that fits "invisibly" in the centre console and contains a proper SSD and allows me to connect controllers as well as my phone charger and even gives me a USB C socket if I ever need it.

Reactions: googlepeakoil
Thanks - my bad. Assumed due to the fact that all the others were USB-c that this was also. Not tried much - I bought a USB-C stick soon after having the car, which didn't work in the centre console as I was hoping. Since your message tried my USB-A stick in the glovebox and this works fine, so...

...does this mean all I need is an item such as this and without any further "partitioning" (which I am unfamiliar with) the Tesla stick for Sentry will continue to work, and any other sticks I insert as well will be able to be played also?
Just to update, I bought the hub in the link mentioned in my previous post and it has worked perfectly so far, just plugged the Tesla stick in and my other USB with folders of music, then plugged the hub into the glovebox port. Sentry and dashcam footage appear to be unaffected.

Strongly disagree that there isn't an perceptible difference between Spotify over LTE and TIDAL over WiFi (which is equivalent in bitrate to FLAC).

FLAC music played over my USB SSD sounds equally good. I'm not sure I can discern a difference between that and TIDAL over wireless, but I can certainly tell the difference between "HIFI" tracks on TIDAL and Spotify.
I can concur. There is no noticeable difference between a hires FLAC and tidal for albums such as Encanto and a few others. There is however significant difference between Spotify and Tidal/Flac. It is quite possible that Spotify on a tesla doesn't go beyond a certain bitrate even on wifi with premium connectivity.

I don’t think any higher quality files make a difference, the Tesla speakers are not good enough, they’re very cheap little paper coned units. I have tried the HIFI quality tracks on Tidal (have to use wifi to get the HIFI tracks), and they sound no different to Spotify.
On my 2018 Model X, the difference is beautifully striking between the 44.1 from Tidal downloads using WifI versus Spotify. I get a bad taste in my mouth even seeing the Spotify icon in my car.

I was considering signing up for Spotify for the incoming MY. Tidal it is then.

Unless anyone has any positive experiences of Deezer HiFi - that was awesome in the Meridian Surround system in my old Discovery, but that’s a fair bit better than the MY system.

TIDAL is awesome in the M3, much better sound quality than Spotify in my experience. I tether my phone to the car whenever I go in, which fools TIDAL into thinking I'm on a static wifi network, so it plays in "HiFi" (lossless) quality. Amazing.

If you sign up from Argentina you pay about ~£0.72 a month for it. :)

Reactions: MashinBenzin