Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 White MYP scratched during service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped of my car to have the headlights readjusted because they weren’t flush during delivery. When I went to go pick up the car there was clearly a scratch next to the headlight where they worked on. It looks light they knew about it because they tried to flatten the paint back. No one said anything and I had to point it out. They had to check their cameras to make sure but this car was pretty much brand new. Only has 600 miles on it. They confirmed it was them but how do the techs no notice a scratch on a flawless paint? They are taking responsibility for the scratch but they’re going to have to repaint some of the bumper. It sucks that I have to repaint a brand new car but at the same time the stories that I hear about awful delivery it sounds like a common thing for Tesla. Should I be asking for some sort of compensation?

I had something similar happen. Rear Quarter Glass was replaced and they scratched the hell out of the quarter panel (multiple deep scratches).

They had to send it out to a paint shop. When I went to pickup the car, it looked fine outside but I asked them to bring it into the shop so I could inspect the work before leaving. The paint shop had washed the car with unclean cloth or something, causing deep swirls/micro-scratches everywhere on the car (car had ~300 miles on it). Their in house detail team was able to take care of them.

No compensation was given, so I wouldnt expect anything, but I also forgot to ask for anything. Was just happy to get my MYP back after driving a MX75D for 3 weeks….

Make sure you inspect the car very well when picking it up, insist on bringing it inside under the lights if needed.

Upvote 0
Definitely not unheard of. I had to take my Model 3 in to get my windshield replaced because of a rock chip. The Tesla service center scratched the paintwork putting the new glass back in. When they sent it to the body shop the body shop fixed that and in the process scratched the new windshield. Tesla then had to replace that! Luckily they didn't scratch the paint a second time otherwise I probably would have lost my *sugar*.

Upvote 0
I had something similar happen. Rear Quarter Glass was replaced and they scratched the hell out of the quarter panel (multiple deep scratches).

They had to send it out to a paint shop. When I went to pickup the car, it looked fine outside but I asked them to bring it into the shop so I could inspect the work before leaving. The paint shop had washed the car with unclean cloth or something, causing deep swirls/micro-scratches everywhere on the car (car had ~300 miles on it). Their in house detail team was able to take care of them.

No compensation was given, so I wouldnt expect anything, but I also forgot to ask for anything. Was just happy to get my MYP back after driving a MX75D for 3 weeks….

Make sure you inspect the car very well when picking it up, insist on bringing it inside under the lights if needed.
This happened to me too almost exactly, except they didn’t fix the swirl marks. Couldn’t “see” what I was complaining about 🙄 less than 50 miles…

Upvote 0
This happened to me too almost exactly, except they didn’t fix the swirl marks. Couldn’t “see” what I was complaining about 🙄 less than 50 miles…
Yeah, my MYP is Solid Black, and it was very obvious how bad it was under the shop lights.

70D04B8E-62D2-45F2-B993-AD17AD707BA0.jpeg

I didn’t realize how bad Solid Black was when I ordered my car, otherwise I would’ve gotten a different color. My previous Model 3 was Obsidian Black Metallic, and never developed any noticeable swirl marks even using a single bucket wash.

I can’t wait for the Cybertruck so I don’t have to worry about paint anymore lol.

During my service, I did get a loaner Model S P100DL that wasn’t locked in chill mode, then a Model X 75D during the detail. I’m tempted to sell my MYP and order a Plaid, but am concerned about service quality after this experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, my MYP is Solid Black, and it was very obvious how bad it was under the shop lights.

View attachment 777722

I didn’t realize how bad Solid Black was when I ordered my car, otherwise I would’ve gotten a different color. My previous Model 3 was Obsidian Black Metallic, and never developed any noticeable swirl marks even using a single bucket wash.

I can’t wait for the Cybertruck so I don’t have to worry about paint anymore lol.

During my service, I did get a loaner Model S P100DL that wasn’t locked in chill mode, then a Model X 75D during the detail. I’m tempted to sell my MYP and order a Plaid, but am concerned about service quality after this experience.
Take it to a detail shop and have it ceramic coated. Should be a major improvement and help prevent future damage. You may also research a gloss wrap to protect your paint.

Upvote 0
I got a scratch on one of my doors after putting it in for some service work. I only found out after washing it because I noticed the water wasn't beading off the area the same as the rest of the door (the car had been ceramic coated).

The annoying thing for me was not so much that they did it - like you this was on a car that had done about 500 miles at that point - but moreover that they had done it, tried to cover it up, and didn't tell me. Having had the car detailed very recently to that I knew every inch of it, and to this day it is the only blemish of note on it.

When I phoned the service centre (sadly this was about 2 weeks after I had taken it in, because I didn't notice it until it was washed) they suggested to me that they "look to repair any blemishes they notice when customers bring cars in, as a courtesy", as if to suggest that it was there when I brought it to them. This annoyed me even more, as they were effectively suggesting that I was trying to scam them.

So - either someone dinged my car when I was shopping and just so happened to have the exact colour of paint in their bag or coat, or it got dinged at the service centre. I know which scenario is more likely....

Take it to a detail shop and have it ceramic coated. Should be a major improvement and help prevent future damage. You may also research a gloss wrap to protect your paint.
No offence but ceramic coating doesn't do *sugar* to prevent damage, it's like 1 micron thick. The only thing that has the potential to prevent damage is PPF.

Upvote 0

Looks normal for any black color. Unless you have a dedicated person who maintain, clean and hand wash/wax every time, you will have very visible scratches and swirl marks on any black cars.
Personally, I do not understand why people buy a black car and complain about scratches and swirl marks.

Reactions: Yelobird
Upvote 0
Personally, I do not understand why people buy a black car and complain about scratches and swirl marks.
I went with Blue outside, White interior... but every time I see a Model Y with Black exterior, white interior... my mouth waters.

Looks SO damn nice! I just knew I couldn't deal with the swirls, chip marks, bird droppings... but when they're clean and polished?

Wow.

Upvote 0