Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Wireless charging, cable still possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

StephanB

The usual suspect
Oct 28, 2019
NC
Since the current models come with wireless chargers, is charging via wire still an option? Is it the same setup that the older models have, with the little L-shaped USB cable?
I have a case and finger mount thingie that won't allow me to use wireless charging.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
There is a USB C power port in the console, but its not routed through to the charging pad. You will be able to charge your phone but it wont be a clean, flat look sitting in the console. You will have to do "something else" like get a phone mount or something.

There is a USB C power port in the console, but its not routed through to the charging pad. You will be able to charge your phone but it wont be a clean, flat look sitting in the console. You will have to do "something else" like get a phone mount or something.
That sucks, so they took away the little behind-the-flap routing of the usb cable that made it pop up right where you put your phone?

You can put the phone inside the cubby and plug it in via USB C (or an appropriate USB C to whatever your phone uses), but there is no cable routing on the charging pad any longer, at least I am fairly sure of that fact. I am 100% sure for the model Y (which I have, which is a 2022 model year).

I am not 100% sure that the model 3 and Y use the same wireless charging pad / console, but since the cars share like 90% of their parts, and tesla simplifies where possible, I am reasonably sure that the current wireless charging in the model 3 looks just like it does in the model Y, and there is no cable access to the pad. the USB charging ports are in a different place in the console than the cars that had cable access to the pad.

You can put it in the cubby, but previously (non wireless charging, like my 2018 model 3), there was routing in the back for a cable to be run, and tesla provided a right angle cable for wired charging. That solution is gone for new cars.

You can put the phone inside the cubby and plug it in via USB C (or an appropriate USB C to whatever your phone uses), but there is no cable routing on the charging pad any longer, at least I am fairly sure of that fact. I am 100% sure for the model Y (which I have, which is a 2022 model year).

I am not 100% sure that the model 3 and Y use the same wireless charging pad / console, but since the cars share like 90% of their parts, and tesla simplifies where possible, I am reasonably sure that the current wireless charging in the model 3 looks just like it does in the model Y, and there is no cable access to the pad. the USB charging ports are in a different place in the console than the cars that had cable access to the pad.

You can put it in the cubby, but previously (non wireless charging, like my 2018 model 3), there was routing in the back for a cable to be run, and tesla provided a right angle cable for wired charging. That solution is gone for new cars.
Appreciate the suggestions and I am aware that is an option, but I am trying to get to the bottom of whether this feature works or not, and it sounds like it does not?