Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 X PLAID - Poor Range Performance Help: Getting 50 - 77% of EPA 311 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't own one, so can't test.
The plaid battery IS smaller than the previous "100D" battery. It is now 99kWh, not 100kWh.
If it was "all over the news" please find a couple references for me, because I can't find anything that states the actual capacity of the various Tesla batteries in kWh, other than articles which re-state what is listed in the option codes, which only use round multiples of 5, except for the plaid battery which is listed as 99:
Check the monroney sticker. Efficiency went up, range went down, compared to the earlier model. The only logical cause was the smaller pack. The Tesla Daily podcast was the first where I heard about it and at that time the delta was believed to be around 4kWh based on the numbers / pack configuration.

EPA tests with HVAC OFF
Always test with a non stop ROUND TRIP.
When you get energy graph feature back note what the EPA reference line is at (hopefully still there)

If concerned about range don’t buy the worst range vehicle in the worst configuration.

My lifetime Wh/mi on 2018 3 AWD 18”, 2019 X LR 20”, 2022 S LR 19” were all close to EPA. 230, 303, 249 wh/mi respectfully. I towed some with X and S and I live in snow covered cold in winter. So pretty happy with range on all 3. Never aligned a single one.

Reactions: Ciaopec
My MXP from Berkeley to Merced last night. About 15 minutes of stop and go included.

20220923_215909.jpg

Never expect to see EPA numbers on a Tesla.
Owned a Model S and EPA said 295 miles - tha max I could get on a brand new car was 270 miles.
After ~6.5 years, my 100% dropped to 264 miles and I can probably get 200 miles of range, at best environmental & road & speed conditions.

Drove from Merced to San Jose this morning via the Livermore route. Drove just the speed limit and no more and only got 308 wh / mile. That said it was a stiff headwind nearly the entire trip. Driving north 99 was direct headwind and by the time I turned to go west towards livermore, the wind turned at that point and again was a direct headwind until I cross 84 to 680 south at which point it was just a cross wind. All in all not a good commute efficiency wise. Had I been 5 mph over the speed limit, that would have been 330 wh / mile.

Reactions: seenhear
I have driven about 4,000 miles so far on new my X PLAID. My question is around expected range and what other same year and model owners are experiencing. I have not been able to achieve better than 77% of EPA and am generally getting around 50-65% with normal driving, even in Chill mode.

With my concerns, I spoke with Tesla and arranged a test to do my best to replicate ideal conditions, with the promise that they would gather a full report on the back end and do deeper analysis – they never delivered on that promise.

Here’s the test: I Drove 312 miles – outside temp was between 69 to 75 degrees. Some minor uphill/downhill – 90% flat.

Settings: Cabin AC: 72 degrees, Chill Mode, Sentry off, overheat protection off, radio off. Started non-stop travel with 95% charge.

Driving style: I drove 180 miles non-stop, didn’t go faster than 65mph (I was vigilant and set the limit to 65), and was extremely gingerly with the pedal – didn’t pass, focused on regen braking and I averaged about 55mph the whole trip. Remember, this was a test to find-out what my best-case scenario could be for range. It was painful!

Outcome: I was able to make the first leg of my trip, driving a total of 180 miles to a supercharger with 25% range left, with an average wh/mi of 331.

Doing the (rough) math, add another 60 miles to makeup for the last 30% of battery, and that nets me a 100% battery range of 240 miles. Best case scenario – I can achieve 77% of the EPA range of 311 miles.

Observations:
I presume that this the most optimistic view of what my car is capable of from a range perspective and the best I have ever been able to achieve with a significant delta. I am generally only able to make it about 130 miles before I have to charge under daily driving conditions, 90% to 25% or so. Some Plaid, some chill mode, no launches, or aggressive driving.

Expectations: I have done plenty of research since my concern first appeared and understand conditions are so much of a factor in overall range performance, and I am curious to know if my battery performance is different than other same model and year Tesla’s and am hoping for some feedback from the community. I don’t have much data on other 2022 X PLAIDs, but looking across the rest of the 2022 line, EPA achievement tests show at minimum, 90% + of EPA range, doing 75mph tests. There wasn’t any 3rd party test data on the 2022 X – curious…

I spoke with Tesla service on numerous occasions, and they say they deal with range complaints all the time, but haven’t shown me any relative data to prove this is normal. They also haven’t been able to produce reports when I request them for specific driving periods (like the 312 mile road trip that was coordinated between me and Tesla service prior with the expectation they would send a report), and when they do produce a report, they look through the past two weeks of recorded data and find the conditions that support their case the most, insisting that this is normal battery performance.

Question for my fellow 2022 X Plaid owners: What’s the best range you have been able to achieve on a charge?

Question for all: Do you think I have a range issue, or is this normal? And if this is normal, shouldn’t there be better education for first time Tesla buyers around range reality vs. as advertised?
I have a MX P90Dl w/ 22's and .... range sucks.
Advertised ? 230-240 ? and I have to stop to charge once for a ~134 mile trip on flat land in decent weather, etc. If I drive 55 MPH and get a wind to my back, I can just make it w/o stopping to charge. Raising questions to service gets the same answer: "We don't see anything wrong, etc."
Winter.... OMFG.... let's not talk about winter. EASY -40% to 50% range loss. My MS P85Dl+ was off maybe ~25%. My 2018 MS P100Dl is typically the best and is only off 15-20% in most conditions.

I'm very curious to see how close other brands get to their advertised #'s compared to Tesla. I really feel like Tesla has been goosing the #'s, especially when they were the only game in town.

Thanks - Am still hoping for 22' XP owners to feed my hunger for comparisons.

My experience with Tesla service so far is that they take an authoritarian approach "I don't have to explain anything to you,other than it's normal, go away" - I had another issue repaired and they gave me a 17' 100D loaner with high mileage - that got longer range than my new 22' XP. I can't wait for my range performance in 4 years. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the grocery store without charging in the parking lot to be able to make it back home.
I would also recommend you look for a similar Tesla on Turo and rent it for a weekend. See if you get similar range numbers.

I have a MX P90Dl w/ 22's and .... range sucks.
Advertised ? 230-240 ? and I have to stop to charge once for a ~134 mile trip on flat land in decent weather, etc. If I drive 55 MPH and get a wind to my back, I can just make it w/o stopping to charge. Raising questions to service gets the same answer: "We don't see anything wrong, etc."
Winter.... OMFG.... let's not talk about winter. EASY -40% to 50% range loss. My MS P85Dl+ was off maybe ~25%. My 2018 MS P100Dl is typically the best and is only off 15-20% in most conditions.

I'm very curious to see how close other brands get to their advertised #'s compared to Tesla. I really feel like Tesla has been goosing the #'s, especially when they were the only game in town.

The 90 is considered one of the worst batteries Tesla has released. Not sure how many miles you have, but you're likely already at ~200 miles range estimating the age of the car. Not sure what the 90s are seeing for battery degradation these days. Factor in the 22s and you're going to lose another 20-25 miles? You're at 175 with 100%. Best case. The 85 and 100 packs in your S is much better. Aerodynamically, the S is going to win as well. Hard to compare those cars to the X. Unfortunately, all EVs are going to suffer in the cold.

Reading this post solidifies my opinion that Tesla is an extreme marketing company (i.e. alas their former CEO). Whatever figures they put out I calculate 80% of that value. The above post has proven this point. Their acceleration figures are based on a rolling start not from standstill. "Full Self Driving" I don't even want to go there.
On another note I had a Rivian and noticed their range was very realistic. However the truck struggled with pretty severe phantom battery drain.

Its not specific to "Model X plaid" but I have a 260+ Page (260 pages of posts, not 260 posts) thread on basically the exact same complaint, so I can tell you that I am virtually positive your car is "normal", and tesla will do nothing (zip) about any sort of "range" complaint as far as "I can only go X far on a charge".

I have owned 4 Performance Model S cars, going back to a 3000-series VIN car and all approximately delivered rated range, until Feb 2022 when my 2021 Plaid abruptly changed. I was on a trip from Boston to NY and noticed the range was dropping far quicker than miles driven. Since that trip the actual range delivered has been 60-65% of rated. Repeated conversations with Tesla have been unproductive with them placing the blame on me and refusing to accept any responsibility. I am very attuned to driving and operational inputs and varying them hasn't changed the percentages much. Lemon Laws vary by state but in NY if you hit 18,000 miles you no longer qualify. My problem started at 14K miles and now I'm at 25K so I don't qualify. My only option is to report the problem to the NHTSA and hope enough other owners do the same possibly prompting a recall

The 90 is considered one of the worst batteries Tesla has released. Not sure how many miles you have, but you're likely already at ~200 miles range estimating the age of the car. Not sure what the 90s are seeing for battery degradation these days. Factor in the 22s and you're going to lose another 20-25 miles? You're at 175 with 100%. Best case. The 85 and 100 packs in your S is much better. Aerodynamically, the S is going to win as well. Hard to compare those cars to the X. Unfortunately, all EVs are going to suffer in the cold.

I've been watching the battery closely this past month and it looks to me I've lost ~25-30% of the battery's capacity which is another reason the range sucks. Below is a table I put together where I charged the battery and used SC charging determine battery capacity. Not thrilled.
The other thing I have noticed is that when battery gets to around 15%, it magically drains quite rapidly. If you look on the second row, the car just sat in the driveway for a couple hours and lost 5%. Another time, when the battery was at a much higher charge state, it sat all night and reported a 1% drop in charge. 🤷

1676103101949.png