Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 X PLAID - Poor Range Performance Help: Getting 50 - 77% of EPA 311 miles

I don't own one, so can't test.
The plaid battery IS smaller than the previous "100D" battery. It is now 99kWh, not 100kWh.
If it was "all over the news" please find a couple references for me, because I can't find anything that states the actual capacity of the various Tesla batteries in kWh, other than articles which re-state what is listed in the option codes, which only use round multiples of 5, except for the plaid battery which is listed as 99:
Check the monroney sticker. Efficiency went up, range went down, compared to the earlier model. The only logical cause was the smaller pack. The Tesla Daily podcast was the first where I heard about it and at that time the delta was believed to be around 4kWh based on the numbers / pack configuration.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
My full pack when new showed 99.4...just fraction lower than yours.
This morning, Nominal full pack shows 97.2.

I just realized my reply makes it look like I lost two kwh. The current "full pack when new" is 99.4 and the "nominal full pack is 97.2". Seems like that implies there's an anti brick buffer of 2.2 kwh.

Reactions: seenhear

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
EPA tests with HVAC OFF
Always test with a non stop ROUND TRIP.
When you get energy graph feature back note what the EPA reference line is at (hopefully still there)

If concerned about range don’t buy the worst range vehicle in the worst configuration.

My lifetime Wh/mi on 2018 3 AWD 18”, 2019 X LR 20”, 2022 S LR 19” were all close to EPA. 230, 303, 249 wh/mi respectfully. I towed some with X and S and I live in snow covered cold in winter. So pretty happy with range on all 3. Never aligned a single one.

Reactions: Ciaopec

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
My MXP from Berkeley to Merced last night. About 15 minutes of stop and go included.

20220923_215909.jpg

Never expect to see EPA numbers on a Tesla.
Owned a Model S and EPA said 295 miles - tha max I could get on a brand new car was 270 miles.
After ~6.5 years, my 100% dropped to 264 miles and I can probably get 200 miles of range, at best environmental & road & speed conditions.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Drove from Merced to San Jose this morning via the Livermore route. Drove just the speed limit and no more and only got 308 wh / mile. That said it was a stiff headwind nearly the entire trip. Driving north 99 was direct headwind and by the time I turned to go west towards livermore, the wind turned at that point and again was a direct headwind until I cross 84 to 680 south at which point it was just a cross wind. All in all not a good commute efficiency wise. Had I been 5 mph over the speed limit, that would have been 330 wh / mile.

Reactions: seenhear

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC