Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Y feels different from 2021 Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help!
(Apologies in advance for the long story)

I test drove and ordered a MYLR end of July. I was having trouble waiting until my EDD of October so I picked up an inventory car at the end of august. It was a demo from St. Louis and had 1500mi on when I got it. The only difference between the inventory Y and the one I ordered was the 7 seater (ordered one).

When I got my VIN for the 2022 7-seater, I sold the 2021 and was without a car for 4 days. I picked up the new one on November 16th and immediately noticed on the way home something was very different about how this Y handles. The steering wheel had a shake above 70mph on the interstate. I immediately emailed my SA and he told me to schedule a service appointment (soonest available was December 23). Over the next week I noticed the car is a much rougher ride than my 2021 (keeping in mind it is the EXACT same specs as my new one other than the seats).

On November 26 (Friday), I was riding on the interstate again and the wheel started shaking again, but more noticeable this time. I immediately got a hold of Tesla service and they scheduled me an appt for the following Monday. They balanced the car but when I picked it up, the ride was the exact same. The steering wheel hasn’t shook since but it’s still so wobbly/rough (I don’t know how to better describe it).

I made another service appt for December 30th but in the meantime emailed my SA to see if I could come by and someone could drive my Y and/or drive another demo Y to see if I notice the same thing. This took place yesterday- the service tech that drove my car said ‘you’re just feeling the road bumps’ but upon driving the other demo Y it felt the same as my 2021 and was not bumpy!

Long story short (too late) they could find nothing structurally wrong with the car but are passing the problem on to their engineers in CA now. I was told they would contact me on Monday (December 6).

Has anyone had this issue yet??? 🤷‍♀️

Help!

I test drove and ordered a MYLR end of July. I was having trouble waiting until my EDD of October so I picked up an inventory car at the end of august. It was a demo from St. Louis and had 1500mi on when I got it. The only difference between the inventory Y and the one I ordered was the 7 seater (ordered one).

When I got my VIN for the 2022 7-seater, I sold the 2021 and was without a car for 4 days. I picked up the new one on November 16th and immediately noticed on the way home something was very different about how this Y handles. The steering wheel had a shake above 70mph on the interstate. I immediately emailed my SA and he told me to schedule a service appointment (soonest available was December 23). Over the next week I noticed the car is a much rougher ride than my 2021 (keeping in mind it is the EXACT same specs as my new one other than the seats).

On November 26 (Friday), I was riding on the interstate again and the wheel started shaking again, but more noticeable this time. I immediately got a hold of Tesla service and they scheduled me an appt for the following Monday. They balanced the car but when I picked it up, the ride was the exact same. The steering wheel hasn’t shook since but it’s still so wobbly/rough (I don’t know how to better describe it).

I made another service appt for December 30th but in the meantime emailed my SA to see if I could come by and someone could drive my Y and/or drive another demo Y to see if I notice the same thing. This took place yesterday- the service tech that drove my car said ‘you’re just feeling the road bumps’ but upon driving the other demo Y it felt the same as my 2021 and was not bumpy!

Long story short (too late) they could find nothing structurally wrong with the car but are passing the problem on to their engineers in CA now. I was told they would contact me on Monday (December 6).

This is not the case with my 3-week old 2022 MYLR.
Your issue is mechanical, not design...tires, alignment, control arm, etc.
Stick with it, the engineers will figure it out.

Help!

I picked up my 2022 MYP about 2 weeks ago and do a lot of highway driving at 70+ mph without any issues. Actually, I think it rides much smoother than what most have claimed on here and I switched from an Audi Q7 that has an incredibly smooth ride.

This is a "jumping to conclusions" title if I've ever seen one. You're reporting a steering wheel shimmy/shake that could be anything from an out-of-balance tire to suspension component problems. Let us know how Tesla handles the repair, and say 5 "Our Father Elons" for your penance due to that atrocious title that's going to vex future forum searchers for awhile.

Help!

As above vibrations in the steering wheel more notable around 60+ mph are usually alignment. Can be tires made out of round, pressure or balance, rarely anything else. The factory IMO does a poor job with alignment for many cars, including at least 2 BMWs I have bought.

The most common cause of this is a defective tire. Occasionally the foam wasn't applied well and it can come loose.

Worse, sometimes service or a tire shop will try to fix it by balancing the tire. Makes sense because the symptom matches an imbalanced tire and the balancing will fix it. Problem is that when you drive it, the foam will shift again and the problem will quickly recur.

They have to unmount the tire to see if this is it.

For a sanity check, make sure lane departure warning isn’t turned on. That will “vibrate” the wheel when the car thinks you’re drifting out of the lane.
First thing I did after I started noticing it on the way home. The service manager told me they would 'definitely' get a hold of me tomorrow after the engineers look at my logs. Fingers crossed they can figure it out! I'll update tomorrow

Reactions: rob968
... probability of this being fairly benign and easy to remedy is high.
There is no probability of being benign. It is a serious issue, especially when considering this is an expensive new car purchase. Tesla has already attempted a fix and failed. Then after Tesla told him he is just feeling road bumps. So to make a statement "easy to remedy" seems ridiculous.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like you know your vocab. There is no probability of being benign. It is a serious issue, especially when considering this is an expensive new car purchase. Tesla has already attempted a fix and failed. Then after Tesla told him he is just feeling road bumps. So make a statement "easy to remedy" seems ridiculous.
Oh I word good, college edumacated and all!

The price of the vehicle is completely orthogonal as to whether an issue is serious or not, so that is a throwaway comment / non-sequitor for the purpose of this discussion.

A recurring theme here and Reddit is not all SC's are created equal, perhaps consulting another independent party and sending Tesla the bill if they resolve would be worth doing? Maybe take it to a tire place and have them check?

If you're just "done" with the car, and your state lemon law requirements have been satisfied, then Terminator has a point. It strikes me as the least desired course of action for a steering wobble, which is usually easily correctable, assuming a competent diagnosis.