Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Y feels different from 2021 Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a demo from St. Louis and had 1500mi on when I got it.

Hmnmm I wonder if some of those demo miles had been somewhat muscular in nature. Maybe someone put some flat spots on those original tires

Is there really any difference between the 7 seated and the "normal" Y ... other than the extra weight or the weight distribution?

...and now I've learned about Road Force balancing - thanks for that

I picked up my 2022 MYP about 2 weeks ago and do a lot of highway driving at 70+ mph without any issues. Actually, I think it rides much smoother than what most have claimed on here and I switched from an Audi Q7 that has an incredibly smooth ride.
We have a Q7 and thinking of selling it and getting a Model, but from what I have read from owners, the ride quality is really harsh and rough which is pausing me. If you don't mind could you share if you have the 19" wheels on the MY, and if that makes a difference in the ride quality and would you say its the same as the Q7 in dynamic mode where its firm on handling but still plus ride even on rough surface?

TIA

Reactions: ConchChick
We have a Q7 and thinking of selling it and getting a Model, but from what I have read from owners, the ride quality is really harsh and rough which is pausing me. If you don't mind could you share if you have the 19" wheels on the MY, and if that makes a difference in the ride quality and would you say its the same as the Q7 in dynamic mode where its firm on handling but still plus ride even on rough surface?

TIA
Of course. I have the MYP with 21” wheels. I love it, sure it‘s different going from a true ‘luxury ride’ but I think the calmness with the electric motor offsets that for me quite a bit. I actually think the ride is very smooth (I’m in South Florida). But it is definitely a little rougher on the bumps and all. It would be more comparable to the dynamic mode, possibly a little firmer because of the weight of the battery. However, to me personally, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal and still feels really smooth and super quiet to me. See if you can test drive one at your local shop. Hope that’s somewhat helpful but it’s very much a personal preference of course.

I just went from a 2020 YP with a vin in the 800s to a 2022 YP with 343K vin. The car feels much better, from closing the trunk, the turn signal lever, smoothness, quieter, etc. It feels better in every way. I was expecting an improvement, but I'm blown away by the difference.
I should have specified in my post above too, I have a 2022 MYP. Perhaps that’s part of it too based on your apples to apples comparison since this is my first Tesla. Very interesting.

Reactions: preilly44
Hello all, sorry for jumping in, but I didn’t read all the pages that preceded this post but I have a very similar question.

My MY ‘21 LR delivered 09/2021 has been great. Recently picked up a second MYLR ‘22 (12/29 delivery) and it just feels slower. I’m not sure if it’s because it only has 50 miles l. It, or the temp is colder outside (drove the 2021 right after and again it felt like it picked up faster).

The 2022 feels like a much more linear slow ramp up to the fast paced acceleration past 30 mph. But from 0-30 it just felt dog slow.

No I don’t have AB (yet 😉) but is there any one else who has compared a 2021 and recent 2022 delivery back to back and has some feedback to provide. I don’t have a formal 0-60 test tool, so I don’t have that to verify. Just seat of the pants comparison at the point.

Reactions: ConchChick
Hello all, sorry for jumping in, but I didn’t read all the pages that preceded this post but I have a very similar question.

My MY ‘21 LR delivered 09/2021 has been great. Recently picked up a second MYLR ‘22 (12/29 delivery) and it just feels slower. I’m not sure if it’s because it only has 50 miles l. It, or the temp is colder outside (drove the 2021 right after and again it felt like it picked up faster).

The 2022 feels like a much more linear slow ramp up to the fast paced acceleration past 30 mph. But from 0-30 it just felt dog slow.

No I don’t have AB (yet 😉) but is there any one else who has compared a 2021 and recent 2022 delivery back to back and has some feedback to provide. I don’t have a formal 0-60 test tool, so I don’t have that to verify. Just seat of the pants comparison at the point.
I haven’t seen any reports of this and have no personal experience to draw from until I get my ‘22, but just to cover the basics did you precondition them battery and was acceleration set as “standard” on the new vehicle? My first guess would be chill mode vs standard as there are no mechanical differences in the motors that I’m aware of.

Reactions: preilly44

TIA
I have the 20 induction wheels; can’t comment on the gemini’s in that I never drove a Y with that size.

I agree- I felt like my 22 Y was/is slower than my 21 Y... but I was contributing that to the fact that the 22 is a 7 seater?? 🤷‍♀️

I agree- I felt like my 22 Y was/is slower than my 21 Y... but I was contributing that to the fact that the 22 is a 7 seater?? 🤷‍♀️
I still feel it by a "seat of the pants" approach. The 2022 (300 miles) just feel like it's a smoother acceleration curve. The 2021 (4000 miles) feels a bit more "thrusty", but both come up to speed without issues.

Without a vbox or proper "drag race" tool, and a wife that doesn't want to line up and race it's hard to really say if the difference is material or not. After I get the acceleration boost install it will be very difficult to compare them if they are different. Today they just feel different.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2