Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Y feels different from 2021 Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue like this, but on my 2015 Audi Q7 (with 21 inch wheels). I feel the vibration on my steering wheel when I reach above 70mph. took it to americas tire found out my front wheels are slightly bent. have a video but file too big to upload. Don't believe that 7 seater BS.
Thanks- that was the first think I noticed on the interstate on the drive home from pick up. When they balanced the wheels it helped but didn't eliminate the vibrations.

I've actually checked this website, carvana & carmax and they can't give a value for a 2022 o_O
What a bummer to read your story and struggles with Tesla and getting this situation remedied.

Have you made any progress with requesting a refund? Not sure what the buyback or lemon laws are in Pennsylvania, but this might be worth a look just to make you don't have an option to do anything there. Often times a quick call to your state's attorney general's office can help you understand if you have any recourse.

Also strange that those big guys can't give any info for 2022, we haven't had any issues there at all (so long as people have title/possession of the vehicle). Either way, it would be much better if you could just get a refund from Tesla rather than taking any sort of loss.

Reactions: ConchChick
There is a patch of freeway around Seattle that unsettled the car a great deal during one of my test drives, MYLR but it's due to a fairly basic suspension and stiff chassis of the MY. The "symptoms", if you will, behaved like a very short wheelbase car, over expansion joints, that caused it to buck a lot more than I have experienced in any car we've owned over the past few decades.

Does that describe what you're experiencing?

I'm willing to accept its not going to drive like an air or dynamic suspension vehicle, and my backup plan is to install the Mountain Pass Performance suspension kit if becomes insufferable.

I used to have an area near me that was like that, but it would do it in several cars. The undulations in the pavement were just small enough to not really be visible either, so if you didn't know it, it would feel like a car problem. They've gotten a lot bigger now, though, so easier to see and avoid the patches or road that do it.

I still wonder if OP had the foam checked?

What a bummer to read your story and struggles with Tesla and getting this situation remedied.

Have you made any progress with requesting a refund? Not sure what the buyback or lemon laws are in Pennsylvania, but this might be worth a look just to make you don't have an option to do anything there. Often times a quick call to your state's attorney general's office can help you understand if you have any recourse.

Also strange that those big guys can't give any info for 2022, we haven't had any issues there at all (so long as people have title/possession of the vehicle). Either way, it would be much better if you could just get a refund from Tesla rather than taking any sort of loss.
Ya I got denied the refund... going to take it in one more time for the steering wheel vibrations and if it still can't be fixed, that's 3 times for the same problem without resolution..... 🍋

• Informative
Reactions: DanCar
Tires. Ask them to put a set of new or demo tires on the car …maybe front first then rear. Eventually they’ll zone in on which one is faulty.

Happened to my 2018 MS 100D. After 4 visits and zero issues reported from an engineering perspective, it came down to one tire where that foam was loose and it was making a difference at higher speeds. Passenger rear if I recall. They changed the one tire and it was like a light shone on the car all of sudden after 2 months of headache.

You have to convince them to actually take the time to swap a set from a demo model. They’ll never use brand new tires as they won’t devalue them.

Goodluck! If not, sell it open market. You’ll come out ahead :)

Tires. Ask them to put a set of new or demo tires on the car …maybe front first then rear. Eventually they’ll zone in on which one is faulty.

Happened to my 2018 MS 100D. After 4 visits and zero issues reported from an engineering perspective, it came down to one tire where that foam was loose and it was making a difference at higher speeds. Passenger rear if I recall. They changed the one tire and it was like a light shone on the car all of sudden after 2 months of headache.

You have to convince them to actually take the time to swap a set from a demo model. They’ll never use brand new tires as they won’t devalue them.

Goodluck! If not, sell it open market. You’ll come out ahead :)
That's a great suggestion; don't know if they'll do it but I'll certainly ask

Reactions: Destiny1701
Does anyone think the AC is different in 2022? Mine will audibly "exhaust" air like a huge breath every now and then.... never had this on 2020 MY
My 2020 does this. I think it started when I had my pressure sensors replaced a few weeks ago. System still works well though.

As for the OP, the shake needs to be fixed. The roughness may just need a couple of thousand for the suspension and tires to break in.

Last edited:
I actually found a kind fellow 7 seater owner in my area who is meeting me on Sunday so I can drive her Y and see if I notice a difference!
👏👏
Really curious to hear how it goes, good luck on Sunday. I agree with others here, and am a bit hopeful that this isn’t “within spec” for a 7 seater. Sorry to hear you’re going through this, I hope it gets resolved ASAP.

• Love
Ya I got denied the refund... going to take it in one more time for the steering wheel vibrations and if it still can't be fixed, that's 3 times for the same problem without resolution..... 🍋
I don't think it counts towards the lemon law count if they say that they are unable to duplicate the problem. It only counts if they actually attempt a repair.

Me sitting here in a tire shop having them road force balanced hoping this works

1639158733806.gif

• Funny
Reactions: BTVev and DanDi58
I used to have an area near me that was like that, but it would do it in several cars. The undulations in the pavement were just small enough to not really be visible either, so if you didn't know it, it would feel like a car problem. They've gotten a lot bigger now, though, so easier to see and avoid the patches or road that do it.

I still wonder if OP had the foam checked?
I’ll ask about the foam- thanks!

Reactions: jsight